can i carry a pistole in my glovebox in florida ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > can i carry a pistole in my glovebox in florida ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Louis,Missouri
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
You can keep the gun in your glovebox if under 21 keep in mind that this is completely legal in florida but the officer may not know this.


Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XLVI Crimes Section 790.001 Definitions. - Florida Attorney Resources - Florida Laws
If this is the case, I would recommend having a slip of paper in the glove box as well that has the laws and statues that are relevant that he can call back to police HQ and verify.

However, to be clear.

ALWAYS inform the officer immediately that you have a firearm in the vehicle that you are carrying legally. (I've never had a problem even when I was stopped in NJ when moving from NY to Ohio)

NEVER reach for that firearm unless the officer asks you to, and if he does, reach for it slowly. (They have guns, too)
__________________

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

corrinavatan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
If this is the case, I would recommend having a slip of paper in the glove box as well that has the laws and statues that are relevant that he can call back to police HQ and verify.

However, to be clear.

ALWAYS inform the officer immediately that you have a firearm in the vehicle that you are carrying legally. (I've never had a problem even when I was stopped in NJ when moving from NY to Ohio)

NEVER reach for that firearm unless the officer asks you to, and if he does, reach for it slowly. (They have guns, too)
I will disagree in your state you may have duty to inform but here in florida we do not.

The last thing I want is some gun hating cop giving me a hard time so If I keep my gun in my glovebox I always keep my registration separate so I dont have to go in and I will not inform them of anything unless they ask.
__________________
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint Louis,Missouri
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
I will disagree in your state you may have duty to inform but here in florida we do not.

The last thing I want is some gun hating cop giving me a hard time so If I keep my gun in my glovebox I always keep my registration separate so I dont have to go in and I will not inform them of anything unless they ask.
Hrm. I was under the impression that all 50 states required you to notify the officer of any weapons in the car. However, the only gun that's ever in my vehicle is my rifle, which I can't really conceal, so the three times I've been stopped with it in my car (usually to and from the range), I've informed them.

I've never had a problem with a gun-hating cop. Usually, if you're polite and cooperative (i.e. not a dickhead), they're pretty cool about it.
__________________

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

corrinavatan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Hrm. I was under the impression that all 50 states required you to notify the officer of any weapons in the car. However, the only gun that's ever in my vehicle is my rifle, which I can't really conceal, so the three times I've been stopped with it in my car (usually to and from the range), I've informed them.

I've never had a problem with a gun-hating cop. Usually, if you're polite and cooperative (i.e. not a dickhead), they're pretty cool about it.
One of the few times I did tell an officer I had a firearm in the glovebox. He made me get out of the car and put my hands on the hood while he got the gun, muzzle swept me, and unloaded the magazine. he then proceeded to lecture me about why I didnt need a gun and how its unsafe to have a round in the chamber. I politely told him that I disagree asked if he carries one in the chamber to which he shouted I am a professional and you shouldnt have a gun! I simply asked if I could leave now. He reluctantly allowed me to after writing me a ticket for not using my turn signal. I filed a complaint but absolutely nothing came of it.

Would you still inform if you didnt have to after that happened to you?
__________________

Last edited by wb_carpenter; 11-30-2010 at 04:52 PM.
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bushnell,fl
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Step 1. Do not seek legal advice from a gun forum on the internet. Hardly any of us are lawyers, and even the few that are could be wrong.

Step 2. Call your local sheriff's department, police department, or even better, a reputable firearm vendor in your area. I would recommend calling 2 of the three, and make sure their stories match. I.E. if two of them say "there isn't a problem with that", well, there you go.

Step 3. I wouldn't recommend having a gun you didn't purchase in the glovebox of your car (and if you do, for the love of GOD don't have it loaded in there). If the gun is in your car and someone else bought it for you, you might get that person in trouble (this depends, again, on your state and local laws which I will never pretend to know/understand).

Also: If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a gun in your glove box? The only time I've run into a situation where someone had a gun in the glove box, that person was shot while trying to reach for it because the gangbanger knew he was likely going for a gun in the glove box. Also, a lot of states have the absolutely sane law that if it is in your glove box, it needs to have a trigger lock on it/other measures that prevent you from just pulling it out and firing (firearms in my state must be unloaded, no magazine in them, with ammo in a different portion of the car), which defeats the entire purpose of having the firearm for self-defense.

If it's for protection, you're probably better off getting a conceal carry permit, and an under-arm holster (or, depending on you budget/how much you like tinkering, creating a secret compartment in your car for your firearm).

Again, consult someone reputable who knows your local laws.
thanks for the info and the reason i want a handgun is becuase about a year ago i had somone try to get in my car when i was sitting in it altho i had a buck knife that was as sharp as a brand new razor blade i would have still loved to have a gun in that situtation and ive already contacted several ffl dealers and there stories matched pretty good but im still going to contact the sharrife and see what he has to say
__________________
1bigtarge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bushnell,fl
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
Hrm. I was under the impression that all 50 states required you to notify the officer of any weapons in the car. However, the only gun that's ever in my vehicle is my rifle, which I can't really conceal, so the three times I've been stopped with it in my car (usually to and from the range), I've informed them.

I've never had a problem with a gun-hating cop. Usually, if you're polite and cooperative (i.e. not a dickhead), they're pretty cool about it.
that is 100% true i have never had a problem with a cop when i was polite its the times i wasnt to polite that they where being a holes
__________________
1bigtarge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bushnell,fl
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
One of the few times I did tell an officer I had a firearm in the glovebox. He made me get out of the car and put my hands on the hood while he got the gun, muzzle swept me, and unloaded the magazine. he then proceeded to lecture me about why I didnt need a gun and how its unsafe to have a round in the chamber. I politely told him that I disagree asked if he carries one in the chamber to which he shouted I am a professional and you shouldnt have a gun! I simply asked if I could leave now. He reluctantly allowed me to after writing me a ticket for not using my turn signal. I filed a complaint but absolutely nothing came of it.

Would you still inform if you didnt have to after that happened to you?
i would simply ask the officer for his badge number and call the sharrife of your county and tell him his officer was herassing me over politics while on the job and if they dont kick his ass scream lawsuit
__________________
1bigtarge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigtarge View Post
i would simply ask the officer for his badge number and call the sharrife of your county and tell him his officer was herassing me over politics while on the job and if they dont kick his ass scream lawsuit
I made a complaint and followed up with it like I said but nothing really came from it he pretty much denied it.

I said it was the worst of a few times I mentioned it the other 2 were not relaxing situations either and one of them I had to get out of the car while he removed the gun and cleared it and the other time the gun was removed and dirty looks were exchanged.

Keep in mind 2 of these were during a DUI checkpoint/illegal search point setup around town and my registration was separate with no reason to touch the firearm.

Like I said because we dont have to tell the officer anything here in Florida I will never offer anything that says I have a firearm unless asked after those 3 encounters.
__________________
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DeLand,Florida
Posts: 14
Default

I you live in Florida, I suggest you join the Florida Sheriffs Association. It's a great charity. Helps underprivileged kids. Very well respected here in the state. It often also helps to have those little green and yellow stickers on your front and rear windows. That will often give you a bit of extra credibility with LEO's, particularly county sheriff's deputies. It has worked for me several times

Regarding the original question, read the statutes and also consult a criminal lawyer about vehicle carry. Many cops do not know the law in detail and some guy answering the phone at the cop shop may be one of those who doesn't.

__________________

Last edited by Triggerman; 12-01-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Triggerman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bushnell,fl
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
I made a complaint and followed up with it like I said but nothing really came from it he pretty much denied it.

I said it was the worst of a few times I mentioned it the other 2 were not relaxing situations either and one of them I had to get out of the car while he removed the gun and cleared it and the other time the gun was removed and dirty looks were exchanged.

Keep in mind 2 of these were during a DUI checkpoint/illegal search point setup around town and my registration was separate with no reason to touch the firearm.

Like I said because we dont have to tell the officer anything here in Florida I will never offer anything that says I have a firearm unless asked after those 3 encounters.
ya in florida you dont have to tell them i live in florida but i still tell them becuase my dad is pretty good freinds with the sharife here all i have to do is make a phone call and the guy would not have a fun time explaining to teh sharife why he herassed me
__________________
1bigtarge is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Open Carry Daoust_Nat Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 40 01-17-2011 11:55 AM
Video of open carry event in Florida michigan0626 Legal and Activism 8 11-11-2010 06:53 PM
Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott michigan0626 Legal and Activism 12 11-05-2010 06:01 PM
Open Carry for Florida....hopefully michigan0626 General Handgun Discussion 9 10-30-2010 03:26 PM
Florida carry-concealed law question cyptre Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 15 02-27-2010 02:10 AM