Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > can i carry a pistole in my glovebox in florida ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default can i carry a pistole in my glovebox in florida ?

i am 19years old i have no criminal record of any kind i know i cant buy a pistol until im 21years of age but i can own one and i want to find out if i can legaly have it in my glove box loaded in the state of florida any info would be helpfull thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6959 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8370

I think you need to check with the Department of Justice and find out what the laws are where you live. Just my personal opinion.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Heres an Idea, go to the Sheriffs office and get the rules and regs on carry in your state. We dont give out legal info here.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigtarge View Post
i am 19years old i have no criminal record of any kind i know i cant buy a pistol until im 21years of age but i can own one and i want to find out if i can legaly have it in my glove box loaded in the state of florida any info would be helpfull thanks
The best source for a definitive answer is the Florida legal code but generally speaking any loaded gun in an accessable area in a vehicle is considered a concealed weapon requiring a CCW permit.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I don't even pretend to be a lawyer.

Check out Florida Statute 790 area.

And let's say that I would not want to be under 21 and have a handgun in my possession.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #6

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
The best source for a definitive answer is the Florida legal code but generally speaking any loaded gun in an accessible area in a vehicle is considered a concealed weapon requiring a CCW permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I don't even pretend to be a lawyer.

Check out Florida Statute 790 area.

And let's say that I would not want to be under 21 and have a handgun in my possession.

Indeed.

shit-my-dad-says.jpg

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The FTF flunked it’s Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

The management

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #8

just trying to get an idea not takeing anything said here as 100% true just trying to get an idea thats all

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

While you should seek legal advice from a lawyer I have been in your situation and did and here are the answers I have gotten.

You are allowed to own a handgun in florida under 21. You can purchase a handgun Face to face as well.

You cannot buy a handgun from an FFL under 21 anywhere.

You cannot carry your handgun concealed or get a ccw until 21

You can keep the gun in your glovebox if under 21 keep in mind that this is completely legal in florida but the officer may not know this.

You can also keep the handgun in your center console,shoebox, and no step rule exists in florida. The gun has to be encased.

Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XLVI Crimes Section 790.001 Definitions. - Florida Attorney Resources - Florida Laws

Last edited by wb_carpenter; 11-26-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 AM   #10

Step 1. Do not seek legal advice from a gun forum on the internet. Hardly any of us are lawyers, and even the few that are could be wrong.

Step 2. Call your local sheriff's department, police department, or even better, a reputable firearm vendor in your area. I would recommend calling 2 of the three, and make sure their stories match. I.E. if two of them say "there isn't a problem with that", well, there you go.

Step 3. I wouldn't recommend having a gun you didn't purchase in the glovebox of your car (and if you do, for the love of GOD don't have it loaded in there). If the gun is in your car and someone else bought it for you, you might get that person in trouble (this depends, again, on your state and local laws which I will never pretend to know/understand).

Also: If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a gun in your glove box? The only time I've run into a situation where someone had a gun in the glove box, that person was shot while trying to reach for it because the gangbanger knew he was likely going for a gun in the glove box. Also, a lot of states have the absolutely sane law that if it is in your glove box, it needs to have a trigger lock on it/other measures that prevent you from just pulling it out and firing (firearms in my state must be unloaded, no magazine in them, with ammo in a different portion of the car), which defeats the entire purpose of having the firearm for self-defense.

If it's for protection, you're probably better off getting a conceal carry permit, and an under-arm holster (or, depending on you budget/how much you like tinkering, creating a secret compartment in your car for your firearm).

Again, consult someone reputable who knows your local laws.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Last edited by corrinavatan; 11-30-2010 at 02:42 AM.