Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can I buy a handgun in MN?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Also, I was under the impression that the waiting period to purchase a handgun was restricted to the 7-day processing of the permit, not the purchase itself. Clarify?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #12

Your Minnesota Permit to Purchase is good for a year.

The gun store will take your money and put the gun on the shelf and have you return after the waiting period for a Permit to Purchase.

If you have a Carry Permit, which is issued by the Sheriff instead of the Police Chief, there is NO Permit to Purchase, and No waiting period. AND you get/habve to take a fun class and they'll teach you this stuff.

Note the nice police officer said "It's basically his call." on the Permit to Purchase. Yeah, basically.

With the Permit to Carry it NOT that way. If you meet the exact qualifications, the Sheriff is REQUIRED to issue the Carry Permit, or else the District Court will issue it and the Sheriff will have to pay your attorney fees. And the Permit to Carry is ALSO a Permit to Purchase Without a waiting period! (This is all Minnesota law which works for Minnesotans.).

In Minnesota, a real gunnie has a Carry Permit. And then no worries about arbitrary police officers.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I really liked about Wyoming... (lived there 7 years)
You could go in, buy a firearm and ammo, and walk out.
Then shoot the ba$tard in your car that pissed you off.
No questions asked.

The liquor stores had drive up windows as well.

It was like going through a time warp when we moved there in the 1970's.

It was not called "The Cowboy State" because of cows. Cows had to be kept in heated barns.
9 months of winter.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #14

Richard, I'm getting my permit to purchase thru the local PD, not my FFL, I haven't even tried to make a firearm sale yet. My question about waiting periods was once the police give me my purchase permit, will I have to wait an additional seven days to leave with the firearm, or do I get it on the same visit, provided I clear his NICS check?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #15

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaasset View Post
Richard, I'm getting my permit to purchase thru the local PD, not my FFL, I haven't even tried to make a firearm sale yet. My question about waiting periods was once the police give me my purchase permit, will I have to wait an additional seven days to leave with the firearm, or do I get it on the same visit, provided I clear his NICS check?
Summary - MN House of Representatives

From above (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Either way, the application process for the Permit-to-Purchase has a built-in 7-day waiting period. Upon being granted by the Chief, a permit is valid statewide for a period of one-year. However, the Permit-to-Purchase becomes void if the permit-holder becomes prohibited from possessing a firearm at any time for any reason.

Apart from the 7-day waiting period for issuance of the Permit-to-Purchase, there is no waiting period required at the time of purchase (i.e., time of transfer of ownership) for any firearm.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Well, you get a Permit to Purchase through your local police depaartment, as you said. In you get a Permit to Carry you would not even need the first permit. (Permit to Carry is issued by your SHERIFF, not the Police. An FFL is a Federal Firearms License, that's through ATF, and it makes you a dealer.

And YES, in Minnesota, if you are buying on a Permit to Purchase, you then buy your gun, after you pass the NICS check, and then WAIT the 7 days to pick it up!

You must

1) Apply for Permit to Purchase, 2) WAIT for the Permit to be issued and delivered to you. 3) Select your gun at a dealer. It's good for a year. 4) Pass the NICS check 6) Pay the man. 7) WAIT 7 days. 8) Pick up your gun.

OR

1) get a CARRY Permit 2) Go to dealer, select gun, pass NICS check, pay the man, take ytou gun home. You can then go to another gunstore and pass NICS check and get more guns as often as you like, for the next 5 years, then renew the carry Permit.

The second method is what I do, it's easier for me.

Having a State background check, and a wait, then a Federal background check, and a wait, is not logical, but it's what happens when the legislatures occasionally enact some kneejerk proposal on any given afternnon. Live with it or change it I guess.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just realized my google-fu was not good. Link above is for a bill that I do not know whether it has passed or not. In either case it seems to have a target date of Aug '11, so even if it is passed, it's still in the future.

Ignore my post and go with Richard.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

Yeah we tried to get rid of the duplicate background checks, it but the bill didn't pass this session. Supposedly, we are trying to reduce the cost of government, but the antis oppose everything, and never give a logical reason. This would not have changed anything, it would have reduced expenses and useless paperwork for police departments.

They really can't/don't even discuss/oppose/negotiate logically; it seems that anything that will make life more complicated for gun useres and gun dealers is their position.

It would be nice if these resources were used to work on violence generally, instead of just targeting people who obey gun laws and other laws anyway.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #19

Richard, I got the permit. And I went into an FFL nearby and asked him about a wait. He said that if I have a permit, all he does is run a NICS check. The NICS check will either say "okay" or "delay 3 days" at this point.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #20

After teh NICS check is successful, they'll look at your Permit. If it's a CARRY Permit, you take the gun home. If its a PURCHASE Permit, you take the gun home 7 days later. At least, that's what the law is. Your milage may vary. Let us know.