Can a cop take my property?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can a cop take my property?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Default Can a cop relieve me of my property?

So I had to call the police on my roommate, and when I was talking with the officers, they spotted that I was carrying a knife and took it off me. Now I know that they can do that during a Terry stop. But I'm not sure they can for normal calls. Which way is it?

I didn't mind it so much (except that he got pissy with me), but I just want to know.

Edit for newcomers:

I called the police via their non-emergency phone number. We met and spoke in the parking lot. My roommate was not present. He drove away several minutes after I made the call, not knowing that I had called the police (he had drunk a bottle of wine, so I gave them the plates).

My roommate pushed me against the wall/hot stove, had his hands around my throat and the words "I'll kill you" came out of his mouth. All the while he had a grin on his face. The man is not stable. This is the second time he's threatened a persons life in an agitated state of mind. All I did to him was warn him to stay out of my space, under penalty of a shove back out of my way. He has the habit of getting in my way and expecting me to move. I know that he does it on purpose.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 12-05-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Did the officer return it?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
So I had to call the police on my roommate, and when I was talking with the officers, they spotted that I was carrying a knife and took it off me. Now I know that they can do that during a Terry stop. But I'm not sure they can for normal calls. Which way is it?

I didn't mind it so much (except that he got pissy with me), but I just want to know.
He took a knife from you while you were in your home? Unless it was used in a crime and was taken as evidence...you have been robbed.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
He took a knife from you while you were in your home? Unless it was used in a crime and was taken as evidence...you have been robbed.
Well, he gave it back, and we were talking in the parking lot.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why did he take in the first place?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Well, he gave it back, and we were talking in the parking lot.
Well in that case no harm, no foul, I guess. The guy is entitled to secure the scene and ensure his own personal safety...he may have overreacted a bit but if I were in his shoes I might have done the same thing. In that job you are trained to anticipate the unexpected...being in close proximity to an armed stranger about whom he knew zilch may have made him overly cautious.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #7

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Well in that case no harm, no foul, I guess. The guy is entitled to secure the scene and ensure his own personal safety...he may have overreacted a bit but if I were in his shoes I might have done the same thing. In that job you are trained to anticipate the unexpected...being in close proximity to an armed stranger about whom he knew zilch may have made him overly cautious.
Agreed. He probably didn't need to get pissy but he was just doing what he was trained to do.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Under the blanket of "officer safety" yes...he can take your knife.

A knife IS a deadly weapon if so employed.

Absent probable cause, he couldn't take and keep (confiscate) the knife, as you had not commited a crime, or presented a clear and present danger to yourself or others.

Roomie~vs~roomie calls are just as bad as domestic calls for officers. So, it was reasonable in the officer's mind at the moment to take it and have one less thing to worry about.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #9

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think it's crap, but there's nothing you'll be able to do about it, especially since he gave it back.

You also didn't tell us why you had to call the cops. If you two had been fighting and tempers were up, he probably felt well justified in taking it off of you for the moment, and even though I think it's crap, I'd have probably done the same thing if that were the case.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Agreed. He probably didn't need to get pissy but he was just doing what he was trained to do.
Right but there is difference between a Terry stop and this type of call. I called him. He does know that I wanted their help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
As far as his right to 'secure the area', that doesn't hold any water with me. Following that idea, I would be able to relieve any person of their weapon in a public space who made me uncomfortable. My call to the police was via their non-emergency number. Under your premise, if I walked up to the police and started talking I would have to give them my gun/knife/other weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittnfire
Why did he take in the first place?
simply because I had it. It stayed in it's sheath and my hand was never near it.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 12-05-2011 at 03:22 AM.