Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5667 Times on 2959 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
If open carry is legal in your state (and it is in mine - WA), do businesses have the right to ask you to leave? I can see it already, patrons of a business complaining about a person carrying a gun, which I can see the place of business asking the gun carrier to leave. Before I encounter a situation like this, I'd like to know your thoughts. I'm sure this happens, with how touchy feely people can be when it comes to firearms.
in wisconsin a business does not have the right to ask or make you leave. a business open to the public wisconsin considers it a public place during operating hours where customers come in to do business.

under the our new ccw law in november they have to post a sign at all doors to ensure there are no guns for a robber or rapist to be afraid of. a business that posts such a sign in wisconsin will be responsible for all bodily injury and property loss due to criminal activity that occurs if they choose to remove your righ to self defense.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #22

I don't see the problem.

Property owner trumps.

"Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill." Old English Proverb

Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVEGUN View Post
I don't see the problem.

Property owner trumps.
so private property owner trumps the right to free speech property and search/siezure too when it comes to a business that is open to the public??

how much outcry would happen when target starts taking people's shoes or makes customers wear a gag so they cannt speak in the store??

just taking it to the logical conclusion.

in order to be safe in property life and liberty the right to keep and bear arms is paramount thats one reason its the second ammendment not the 202nd

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #24

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Florida does not have open carry. However, if you are in a business that has posted "no guns" and are made carrying and asked to leave, you had better not stop to argue 2A, or anything else. After you have been asked to leave and you stay you could be charged with armed trespassing, a felony.

I still go into these places, but I am careful and would be very polite if someone asked me to leave.

Store owners have the right to set the rules in their places. We have the right to spend our money where we please.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Florida does not have open carry. However, if you are in a business that has posted "no guns" and are made carrying and asked to leave, you had better not stop to argue 2A, or anything else. After you have been asked to leave and you stay you could be charged with armed trespassing, a felony.

I still go into these places, but I am careful and would be very polite if someone asked me to leave.

Store owners have the right to set the rules in their places. We have the right to spend our money where we please.
dont you see something fundamentally wrong with that??

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #26
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

As long as everyone is free to make their own decisions with regard to their property or money, it's good.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #27

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Two UNIFORMED police officers in Tucson were asked by management in a late-night restaraunt to leave their guns in the car as a customer was "scared" of their guns. This was on the heels of the shooting in Tucson where Congresswoman Giffords and others were wounded and tragically a little girl killed.
That is funny and, at the same time; an extremely sad commentary on today's society!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I think "open carry" advocates get a little rabid on this one. I carry openly (in uniform) and concealed, but I always carry. I have never had someone ask me to leave my weapon in the car, buit I have had some uninformed citizens mention that the hammer was "back" on my 1911. I thanked him and quietly informed him it was supposed to be.

The merchant cannot afford to cater to just Libtards any more than he can afford to cater just to the pro-2A crowd. They are just trying to make a living, meet them in the middle. If they are a part of the libtard crowd, then take your business elsewhere.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
in wisconsin a business does not have the right to ask or make you leave. a business open to the public wisconsin considers it a public place during operating hours where customers come in to do business.

under the our new ccw law in november they have to post a sign at all doors to ensure there are no guns for a robber or rapist to be afraid of. a business that posts such a sign in wisconsin will be responsible for all bodily injury and property loss due to criminal activity that occurs if they choose to remove your righ to self defense.
I am not a resident of WI nor a lawyer ....but..........

If I understand correctly a business can prohibit carrying of firearms on their premises and is NOT liable as stated in paragraph 2.

The following is from a quick Google search and is from the WI Department of Justice: http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw_frequently_asked_questions.pdf
Pages 32 - 38 seem applicable.

Please --- I am not trying to start a range war. It is important for those who will be visiting WI this Fall (me!) to understand the new laws.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I think "open carry" advocates get a little rabid on this one. I carry openly (in uniform) and concealed, but I always carry. I have never had someone ask me to leave my weapon in the car, buit I have had some uninformed citizens mention that the hammer was "back" on my 1911. I thanked him and quietly informed him it was supposed to be.

The merchant cannot afford to cater to just Libtards any more than he can afford to cater just to the pro-2A crowd. They are just trying to make a living, meet them in the middle. If they are a part of the libtard crowd, then take your business elsewhere.
THIS.

Amen robo....I always carried while I was still on the job (on and off duty). I still carry 100% of the time. Period. My wife, who is a curently serving officer, likewise carries 100% of the time.

When I started, you could still hear a parent tell their kids: "If you're ever lost or in trouble, find a police officer." Sadly, you don't hear that anymore. We get flamed if we are not perfect every time. We get flamed for enforcing laws we may not even agree with. Hell, we get flamed if it rains. But...such is life.

I just can't get my head around the "rabid" crowd who go for the all-or-nothing and think that they are being persecuted or their rights trampled on because they are asked to cover it up, to my mind their mindset is JUST AS BAD as the anti-gunner, neither side is willing to see, and recognize the rights of the other (in this case the rights of a property owner to make the decision how his property is to be used or run) even if the owner says "guns are okay, but please be discreet". They make it into a 2A issue, when it's really a property rights issue, and as both you and I mentioned, and more to the point, an issue where a person is just trying to make a go of a business in a rough economy.

Be safe brother.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 08-16-2011 at 01:14 AM.