Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
their property,their way, their right, their decision,their loss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
This. I will not cover up, and I'm no "kid" trying to be "macho". Tell me to leave, and I'll turn on my heel, walk out, and you'll never get another dime from me or mine. I'll also do everything in my power to inform any other carrier of your attitude.
my attitude?? their rules not mine. typo?

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
This. I will not cover up, and I'm no "kid" trying to be "macho". Tell me to leave, and I'll turn on my heel, walk out, and you'll never get another dime from me or mine. I'll also do everything in my power to inform any other carrier of your attitude.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I prefer in 99.99999999999999999937746352739599506% of the time to carry concealed, even here where I live and it's common as dirt on a truck tire to see someone open carrying. If a business owner asks me politely to cover up, I'd have zero problem with that. I have seen businesses lose business when people who are of the "great uninformed" left because someone who was totally legal in open-carry came into a retail place.

As an officer, I have been dispatched to "MAN WITH A GUN" calls when yet another of "the great uninformed" saw someone open carrying in a public place, and called 911. Then I had to spend 30-40 minutes of my day when I could be doing something to legitimately fight crime in the big city, explaining to some eastern weentard that it is legal to carry openly or concealed in Arizona, and to please have a nice day, and PLEASE go back to wherever your yankee butt came from (that part was in quiet thought bubbles of course).

So the business owner lost revenue because someone other than the guy carrying was uncomfortable. Do I like it? No, but the business owner didn't restrict carry in his establishment, yet he was still punished economically for it. I'd give the business owner who supports to 2A the break and just cover up. As gun owners and carriers we have to give that guy/gal the same support they are giving us my not restricting carry in their place of business. I don't think it is the least little bit restrictive of our rights if they make that request of us.

It's not worth it to me to lose the support of the businesses we DO have in our corner by hurting them with loss of our revenue. All they are doing is trying to survive in tough economic times.

I can TOTALLY understand not spending my money in a place that restricts carry, and I don't spend my money ANYWHERE a "NO GUNS" sign hangs. I am all-in on that one.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Simple solution... cover it up... If a confrontation develops, I want the fact that I have a gun to be a surprise to everyone but me......

Then, to the store owner.....

Front and back of the card... I have .doc templates to print your own cards if anyone wants 'em

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
my attitude?? their rules not mine. typo?
I was agreeing with you.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. I prefer in 99.99999999999999999937746352739599506% of the time to carry concealed, even here where I live and it's common as dirt on a truck tire to see someone open carrying. If a business owner asks me politely to cover up, I'd have zero problem with that.
That's your prerogative.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: cleaning up the bickering

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
That's your perrogative.
So you are going to punish a business owner who isn't banning guns on their property, but SUPPORTING your carrying by still allowing it on their property, just merely making a reasonable request that YOU also support them by covering up, and meeting them in the middle? Really?

So you want THEM to support YOU, but they can kiss your hiney if they ask for the same support and respect in return?

Last edited by robocop10mm; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Unfortunately Seattle is a looney liberal ground zero where that type of thinking is pervasive. All the more reason to stick to your guns, pun intended, and protect your rights.
Oh yeah. I've lived here all my life (I am 32 years old) and have seen the ridiculousness of how liberal it is in the Seattle area. Here's an example: Most believe illegal aliens have the rights of a U.S. citizen and in fact, don't even like people calling them illegal aliens. They want you to use the PC term, "undocumented worker". To me, that is like calling a drug dealer an undocumented pharmacist. Luckily, as you get away from the city, mindsets tend to even out and head back toward the center or even to the right of center. Anyway, back on track here.... it's because of these mind sets that I asked the question in the thread in the first place. I can foresee a few situations and I just want to be properly informed before I am actually in them.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I know that police have more training than the everyday CCW permit holder (sometimes) but do you think the store would ask a uniformed officer to cover up or leave? I say this because it is the perception that since you have a firearm, you will attract trouble. I don't believe this to be a fact and although gun ownership is a right, carrying openly or concealed should not be an issue but it is the right of the store to do as they please on private property.

Let's say you walk into a WalMart openly carrying and after walking arouond the store for 15 minutes, management approaches you and asks you to cover. Now, everyone in that store saw you with a gun. Do you think they are going to think you went out to your car and disarmed yourself and returned to the store, or will they think that you still have the gun? If they believe you are still armed, what difference does it now make that the piece is concealed?

I know, I know....It's just a question.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
OK, I know that police have more training than the everyday CCW permit holder (sometimes) but do you think the store would ask a uniformed officer to cover up or leave? I say this because it is the perception that since you have a firearm, you will attract trouble. I don't believe this to be a fact and although gun ownership is a right, carrying openly or concealed should not be an issue but it is the right of the store to do as they please on private property.

Let's say you walk into a WalMart openly carrying and after walking arouond the store for 15 minutes, management approaches you and asks you to cover. Now, everyone in that store saw you with a gun. Do you think they are going to think you went out to your car and disarmed yourself and returned to the store, or will they think that you still have the gun? If they believe you are still armed, what difference does it now make that the piece is concealed?

I know, I know....It's just a question.
You MAY NOT believe this...I didn't believe it myself when I first heard of it.

Two UNIFORMED police officers in Tucson were asked by management in a late-night restaraunt to leave their guns in the car as a customer was "scared" of their guns. This was on the heels of the shooting in Tucson where Congresswoman Giffords and others were wounded and tragically a little girl killed. Granted, Tucson is the lefty libtard weenie capital of Arizona and police officers are exempt in any carry situation except in a courtroom where a judge mandates NO GUNS, or correctional facilities. But that is beyond the pale of ridiculousness.

Flip this to a civilian carrying openly which I do support, please don't take it wrong. Management asks you to leave, you make a huffy 2A stand and create a scene. Management calls police. Management and complaining customer say they "felt threatened" even though you never once in ANY way threatened them, now YOU catch a charge. Personally, I'd rather just carry concealed, it is a non issue, and I am still armed and not charged for anything but my Grand Slam and the heartburn that goes with it.

If a business owner says to me as a newly minted civilian..."Hey, I know you're legal, but some of the weenies that come in here are skittish...can you cover it up for me so they don't give me a hassle?"

Heck yeah, and especially if he approached it that way, I am going to give him credit for not being a jerk and meet him in the middle.

He hasn't asked me to disarm, he supported my ability to excericise my 2A rights, and he avoided having someone hassle him and make his night crappier. Everybody won, and no gun owner was made to look like a jerk and at the end of the day, you can still carry in that place of business.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #20

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
their property,their way, their right, their decision,their loss
Yeah, and it's OUR MONEY. Grab a handful of dough

out of your wallet on the way out

of the establishment, and say "SEE this? It's the LAST you'll EVER

see of MY MONEY". Walk out. Don't go back. Tell your friends to

spend their money elsewhere.

Vote with your wallet. You can vote with it EVERY day.

Join the NRA. We (not the NRA) need you.