Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can businesses ask you to leave because you have a gun?

If open carry is legal in your state (and it is in mine - WA), do businesses have the right to ask you to leave? I can see it already, patrons of a business complaining about a person carrying a gun, which I can see the place of business asking the gun carrier to leave. Before I encounter a situation like this, I'd like to know your thoughts. I'm sure this happens, with how touchy feely people can be when it comes to firearms.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Sure, businesses have the right to ask you to leave their private property. The open-carry laws permit you to carry in public spaces.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

In our store we ask customers to kindly conceal there weapons because there are some who dont like OPEN carry. The mature ones have no problem pulling their shirt over the firearm.Usually the ones that give you trouble are the young males who just got their permit and like to show they are "macho." At that point we ask them to leave if they wont cover it.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Yes...any business has the right to ask that you leave their property. Ýou also have the right to inform everyone you know of their policy and it's anti-2A implications.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Ýou also have the right to inform everyone you know of their policy and it's anti-2A implications.
While that's true, I feel like people would think I was a gun nut. Probably depends on the person, but it just seems like there are a good number of people who don't like guns. At least, where I live. (About an hour outside of Seattle, WA.)

Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
While that's true, I feel like people would think I was a gun nut. Probably depends on the person, but it just seems like there are a good number of people who don't like guns. At least, where I live. (About an hour outside of Seattle, WA.)

I sure don't want to conform to what everyone else likes or dislikes! I want to conform to the constitution!

There are ways to get your point across without being rude, but I'm a gun nut and don't care.

If a business asked me to leave because I have a gun I would. I would also not do any more business with them ever again.
If they asked me to conceal my gun, I have no problem with that. That's my preferred method of carry anyhow.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Funny how that works isn't it, that an individual wishing for no more than the freedom to exercise their rights is made to feel like a pariah by a majority that knows what's best for society. Unfortunately Seattle is a looney liberal ground zero where that type of thinking is pervasive. All the more reason to stick to your guns, pun intended, and protect your rights.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Liked 1743 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Default This is most interesting.

One can open carry in public places (if the state allows).
Upon request or by inclination, on private property one can ‘convert’ open carry to concealed carry, even if one does not have a CCP.

The question is; Is a restaurant a public place or a private space?

My memory is that if an establishment caters to the general public, it must follow general civil rights regulations. That was the whole point of the lunch counter and bus ride protests a year or two ago. If on the other hand it is a space that requires membership, then it is not required to follow civil rights regulations.

Banks also are privately owned public spaces.

Interesting.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

their property,their way, their right, their decision,their loss

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
their property,their way, their right, their decision,their loss
This. I will not cover up, and I'm no "kid" trying to be "macho". Tell me to leave, and I'll turn on my heel, walk out, and you'll never get another dime from me or mine. I'll also do everything in my power to inform any other carrier of your attitude.