You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Call to arms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3744 Times on 1829 Posts
Likes Given: 13281

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Bobby Jindal the governor of Louisiana actually called it the "Stupid Party," not the dumb party.
Michael Steele former RNC Chairman is another one.
CT
and they have accomplished what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharder0002 View Post
Well nothing's considered facts until the case is decided in court by a jury, but evidence seems to point that Zimmerman racially profiled Mr Martin.
can you provide any "evidence" to support this claim?

Quote:
He called police even though he had no real evidence that Martin was involved in any criminal activity. The police told him explicitly not to engage the (I use the term lightly in this case) "suspect" and they would investigate it further. Zimmerman who was armed actively pursued Martin against police wishes.
Zimmerman was part of the neighborhood watch ... do you know what a neighborhood watch is for? Precisely to report suspicious behavior within their neighborhood. According to the information that has been released Zimmerman did just that ... he stopped pursuing the "suspect" and returned to his vehicle. Do you have information to the contrary?

Quote:
What it is that actually happened after that is open for debate and we will have to see what the court decides. This police call recording of someone pleading for their life will become key evidence if either the persecution or defense can create reasonable belief or doubt as to who the voice belongs too.
Personally I think that the prosecution has a much stronger case towards negligent homicide or voluntary manslaughter. He aggravated the circumstances surrounding Mr Martins death considerably by engaging in vigilante justice. He was told by police to wait and he ignored. Hell he could have followed from a distance and watched, but instead he chose to initiate contact personally.
Facts are NOT open for debate! I would argue the Prosecution has no case ... seeing as how the Police HAD Zimmerman in custody and let him go. Further, the local Prosecutor refused to press charges. In case you are unawares ... LE are NOT in the habit of letting murderers walk after having them in custody. Nor are Prosecutors in the habit of NOT prosecuting murderers when they have such evidence against them. Again, can you provide evidence that clearly shows Zimmerman

Quote:
aggravated the circumstances surrounding Mr Martins death considerably by engaging in vigilante justice. He was told by police to wait and he ignored. Hell he could have followed from a distance and watched, but instead he chose to initiate contact personally.
any facts at all?

Quote:
The defense is throwing up all these lawsuits against CNN and whatever because their good lawyers and to deflect attention from themselves; and create a reasonable doubt in the mind of the jury as too the facts surrounding the case. It's what I'd do in their position. Regardless of who started what self defense laws dictate that you must met force with equal force (no more than required to fight off you attacker) unless in your own home or "castle".
WRONG! Go read the statute for Florida's Stand Your Ground law -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

The Florida law is a self-defense, self-protection law. It has four key components:

It establishes that law-abiding residents and visitors may legally presume the threat of bodily harm or death from anyone who breaks into a residence or occupied vehicle and may use defensive force, including deadly force, against the intruder.

In any other place where a person “has a right to be,” that person has “no duty to retreat” if attacked and may “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”

In either case, a person using any force permitted by the law is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action and cannot be arrested unless a law enforcement agency determines there is probable cause that the force used was unlawful.

If a civil action is brought and the court finds the defendant to be immune based on the parameters of the law, the defendant will be awarded all costs of defense.

http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedomline/current/in_our_opinion/florida-self-defense-law.htm

Quote:
Even if he was attacked Mr Zimmerman was a large full grown adult male against a 16yr old boy. He should have been more than able to successfully fight off his attacker ( if he was infant attacked).
that is your opinion ... obviously not one shared by Zimmerman

Quote:
Florida's stand your ground laws are ridiculous. By extending the laws to include public places its giving its citizens a non verbal "go ahead" to settle all disputes with the use of a deadly weapon, when in fact this isn't the case.
No they do not. Again, go read and comprehend what Florida's Stand your Ground law is about

Quote:
Hell going even more off subject I took a CCDW class in which the instructor told me it was fine for me to shoot someone for stealing something off my property while not physically in my house or posing a threat to me. This most definitely is not the case in the major majority of the states (specifically the one I live in). The suspect must be in your home and must create reasonable suspicion in the mind of the owner that they are their to cause harm to either the individual or residents of the house hold. That being said someone could be driving away with your tractor on the back of their trailer (please excuse the... Redneckishness of this example, i reside in Kentucky and it was the one used in my class) and unless they basically point a pistol at your face when you try to stop them a good prosecutor will charge you with imperfect self defense and win 99 percent of the time.
you go ahead and stay off topic

Quote:
I feel like it is the responsibility of all gun owners to have a firm grasp of the laws pertaining to their firearms.
you couldn't have said it better yourself

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD
Mosin Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wow... Really took that personally I see.... 0.o

First of all of this is opinion, it's what I inferred from researching the case from 1 or 2 news sites..
Secondly you said it yourself. His duty is to report. Not actively engage a suspect. That's what police are for.
Thirdly, Florida statue states like you so obviously pointed out that he has the right to use deadly force if he has reasonable belief that his life or another's is in danger.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What belief could he have had when he approached a child, especially knowing he was armed. Explain me that..?
Next... Wiki is your scholarly source... Really? Are we 5.
Also I realize that wasn't what Florida statue states, I was making the point that its too broad or were you too thick headed to understand that? And I wasn't straying off topic I was making a point that clearly went over your head.
Finally and most important... Chill out. It was a conversation. Ya didn't have to enter weight into like a bill in a china shop. I would have happily discussed this like a reasonable person. You had valid points but you presented them as an attack. Jeez.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I apologize if I have an opinion that's different from yours, that's America.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #25

Liked 1928 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Sheriff is an elected job. He is preaching to his voters and gaining his seat in front of the TV cameras. Nothing more, nothing less.

Carl Sagan

Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #26

Quote:
no need to apologize ... you are entitled to your ignorance

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #27

Liked 2463 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Quote:
You haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #28

Liked 5193 Times on 2595 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

I like dogs post. because it had lots of words, cited quotes, and I even saw some bolded words, and some numbers there. I didn't bother to read it, but hey, if it's good enough for the government, it's good enough for me.
looks-legit-_a6593e90041ec487aef5a5143213239c.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin View Post
i like dogs post. Because it had lots of words, cited quotes, and i even saw some bolded words, and some numbers there. I didn't bother to read it, but hey, if it's good enough for the government, it's good enough for me.
..... 2frank_drebin.jpg

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #30
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13618 Times on 5781 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

You are correct in that there are several points of contention of facts in this case.

Before you simplify things to too great a degree, you may want to review the synopsis of this matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

What is troubling to me are matters of misconduct of prosecutors in witholding evidence, and a judge sufficently biased that his removal from the case was directed by the FL Supreme court.

As far as Zimmerman being a grown man, and Martin being a kid- the grown man was 5'7", the kid was 6'3". The challenge to NBC was their editing of 911 recording, deleting sentences, creating a false impression of events.