Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   California's latest gun law. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/californias-latest-gun-law-2384/)

matt g 10-19-2007 01:43 PM

California's latest gun law.

This one is a step in the right direction. Authored by Assemblyman Doug LaMalfa, AB 1645 protects citizens from having guns confiscated during declared emergencies. The Governor agreed that the right to keep firearms in times of emergencies was important and signed the bill into law this past weekend.

http://armsandthelaw.com/
http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=10152

1984cj 10-19-2007 02:31 PM

Sounds like a feel good law for the Pro gun people.
IMHO
California is well on its way to limiting its citizens to sticks for defense. The majority of people in CA don't want firearms in the hands of citizens; only in the hands of the criminals/LEOs (as evidenced by the politicians that they elect). CA will make owning assembled guns a crime and then can confiscate them for breaking that law.
It won't matter if there is an emergency or not if the possesion of a firearm breaks one of the other laws on the books.

ravenslay3r 10-20-2007 11:18 PM

Californa Laws?

I'm just getting my first gun, and might be moving to Cali soon for a job... Are the laws there really that bad?

I'm from Jersey, where you essentially can't get a CCW permit with rare exceptions. But lots of people have them in their homes, or to go to the range.

Right now I'm in SC where it's quite the opposite - EVERYONE carries...

matt g 10-20-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenslay3r (Post 10588)
Are the laws there really that bad?

For 90% of people, they aren't that bad. They are just a bad sign of things to come. You can't have a lot of things, just because people are scared of them, due to a negative portrayal by the media. A lot of the law comes down to how something looks.

If you're used to Jersey's laws, Cali's won't come as much of a shock to you. Where are you moving to in California? San Fransisco and Marin counties are both bad news as they have very strict gun laws, but if you're headed up north, things aren't bad. Down south, there are just too many people.

Achilles2107 10-28-2007 04:44 AM

The only places is south Cali to not worry much about gun laws are the county-governed desert areas, which consists mostly of ranches, open land, and very few populous.

The best place to move in California to keep guns without fear is Arizona :D

Bidah 10-28-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenslay3r (Post 10588)
I'm just getting my first gun, and might be moving to Cali soon for a job... Are the laws there really that bad?

I'm from Jersey, where you essentially can't get a CCW permit with rare exceptions. But lots of people have them in their homes, or to go to the range.

Right now I'm in SC where it's quite the opposite - EVERYONE carries...

Yep, depends on where you are moving. Overall, I would say that CA is worse than NJ in most respects. You can have an AR in NJ, you are just limited on magazine capacity. Now try that in CA.. Of course in NJ you can have/use hollowpoint ammunition, while you can in CA. It all just depends.

-Bidah

matt g 10-28-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles2107 (Post 11069)
The only places is south Cali to not worry much about gun laws are the county-governed desert areas, which consists mostly of ranches, open land, and very few populous.

The best place to move in California to keep guns without fear is Arizona :D

Northern California is all woods or rolling hills. You'd be surprised that it is even attached to the cesspool that is Southern California.

This is a picture of some property that my wife and I own:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3.../whitmore1.jpg

mredmond 11-01-2007 10:15 PM

That looks like Mt. Shasta in the background there. Yes the northern Cali areas are almost all mountains and open to shooters. This northern area is from bakersfield and up which is a majority of the state. The southern area is san diego and LA areas. It is all city except when you get to the far east side which is desert (might as well be in Az) in the real sense of what desert means. I lived and was a gunsmith in cali for many many years and lived in san diego , and many places in the north. The north is the place to be. I would shoot right out my back yard in the Tahoe area (all wide open mountains) and the redding area to the north is all wide open mountains.
The gun control in cali is herendous with the politics but if you are a gun totting legal citizen you do not have anything to worry about as long as you watch and follow the laws.

As a matter of fact, I still own my house in Arnold Cali. which is about 90 miles sw of so. lake tahoe. it is bordering the stanislaus national forest land and I can go (when I go back to that home, living in NM now) out my back yard and hunt for approx. 90 miles of forest land and never see a single person, place, or thing except wildlife.
By the way, this home I am talking about is 3000 sf and 3 years old and 4 bdrms, 4 baths and is for sale in case anyone is interested. Price in the $600K figure.

Just my 2 cents worth on that stuff about cali being not gun friendly.

matt g 11-02-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mredmond (Post 11375)
That looks like Mt. Shasta in the background there.

That's Mt. Lassen, Shasta is 90 degrees to the left. The property is up in the Whitmore area. I live in Redding myself.

mredmond 11-02-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 11383)
That's Mt. Lassen, Shasta is 90 degrees to the left. The property is up in the Whitmore area. I live in Redding myself.

I used to buy firearms parts from a guy in shingle springs (in that area) he used to buy up closing down gun shops and he kept the parts in an old barn. If you wanted something from him he would not the arm apart for the part, you had to buy the whole thing at really good prices. He is not in biz anymore though, I wish he was.