Is California really that bad? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is California really that bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmiah View Post
Well conservative I am and due to circumstance I have to live in SoCal orange county to be precise I dont have a choice in the matter or I would live somewhere way more gun friendly. Thankyou everyone that has given me honest advice and their points of view they are greatly appreciated as well I will not be knwing anyone in when I get there with the exception of my wife kids and her family and well I already know we are somewhat like minded so hey anyone in cali wanna be my friend?
Orange County isn't a bad place to be. It tends to be more conservative than other parts of southern CA.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #22

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
If I wasn't stuck here for now I would be in VT, a free state.
Vermont is a nice place esp Bennington area, I just didn't like how close everything was.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #23

Thumbs down

AFIK California is got to be about the worst choice for a firearms owner/enthusiast to move to.

You get to (must) declare handguns (and some longguns) and if your lucky pay a stiff fee for each they will allow. Youre on your own for those that are forbidden either by state, county city or homeowner association.

Everything is closely regulated and after living here most of my adult life I cannot tell you all the laws as they change daily. Get ready to pay more for everything from gas to taxes. Food is going way up as well. The only deals are in housing as the market is down 60% since the highs. The downside is the cost of services such as power, water and sewer ect are as high as the taxes and claimbing every year.

Very close to leaving as have all my friends so consider a move to this s--t hole carefully.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #24

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Gun owners are leaving the state in droves. They are moving to free states all over the west. It is not a place for gun owners.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #25

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmiah View Post
Well conservative I am and due to circumstance I have to live in SoCal orange county to be precise I dont have a choice in the matter or I would live somewhere way more gun friendly. Thankyou everyone that has given me honest advice and their points of view they are greatly appreciated as well I will not be knwing anyone in when I get there with the exception of my wife kids and her family and well I already know we are somewhat like minded so hey anyone in cali wanna be my friend?
OC is about an hour south of me, but when you get here, look me up. One thing CA has better than many states (especially Eastern states) is our ranges. We have some great ranges.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

CA357 and Oldshooter hit it right on the head. Both had things in their posts that I did not add to mine because I wasn't sure if there was a size limit to posts and I wanted it to be read! But they are both 100% correct and should be added to the fact base.

Buckeyeborn, that is a really strange coincidence! If you had the choice, would you come back to Cincy? It was hard for me to leave friends and family after decades in CA, but I just couldn't stand picking up the newspaper or turning on the T.V. anymore and seeing more and more of my rights eroded. I hope it's not as hard for you and yours.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #27

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

madmiah, I hope that whatever the reason you're moving includes a well-paying job. As others have noted, the tax situation in the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia is quite the mismash of overbearing. I lived there for many years while growing up and as I got older, I realized that my wages were just paying the taxes and my bills. I understand your thinking but I do feel sorry for you, in a way, for the fact that you will be paying a lot more for just the essentials. Good luck to you wherever you move in that confusion of a state.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #28

If your moving here for a high paying job i recommend a "golden parachute" as part of the deal. CA companies aren't doing well and often lure folks here then change the rules/terms. Considerable desperation exists in both buisiness and govt. It will get worse shortly as our economy is actually past the brink of no return. You don't need to look too far to see that our rate of empty commercial space is off the charts and many new companies fail in record time. We have "ghost' Malls everywhere. One is 70 acres of nearly complete stores in elk grove which failed BEFORE it opened. I'm retired, have ranches and homes, and counting the days before i leave and take my tax base with me. You've been warned.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #29

I was born in California. Lived there for 53 years (I'm now 60) mostly in Los Angeles.

A lot of things I miss, not the traffic which was a big motivation to come to Kansas.

California firearm laws are most confusing. I strongly recommend the book

How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail

Also, maybe introduce yourself to

Calccw

I realize you didn't ask specifically about conceal carry but this is a site I am most familar with.

Fine people there. Lot of good info.

"Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill." Old English Proverb

Last edited by HAVEGUN; 08-19-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Q. Is California really that bad?

A. Yes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams