Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > California gets microstamping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Would it not be easy just to do a ballistics test on the firearm.
Yes, it would. But the problem with that is, this ballistic finger printing of the microscopic defacements on a fired projectile, change over time.

I could fire one magazine from my gun, go home and clean it, and repeat this process numerous times throughout a month (say, a range trip per day...) and the ballistic "fingerprinting" would be so significantly different from mag one, than mag 31, that there would be no feasible way to claim that the rounds came from the fired weapon. Simple repeated vigorous cleaning, will, again, change the geometry of the metal surfaces in such a way as to make it illogical and impossible to track.

Where the ballistics testing comes in handy, is when a projectile fired during the commission of a crime, CAN be matched to a firearm if it's been recovered quickly enough for it to not have been scrubbed too much. I.e., you wouldn't be able to match my gun to a round I fired a few months ago. It would have undergone too much firing and cleaning since then. But you COULD match it to a liquor store robbery from yesterday.... if I were in the habit of robbing liquor stores.

And all it takes is a simple chainsaw file down the muzzle and rattled around a bit to nullify any ballistics testing.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
There is NO reliable way. No "micro stamping" imprint would be any good after a few boxes of ammo and a handful of vigorous post range trip cleanings.

Think of a stamp. Big rubber stamp. Now make it miniscule to the point that the material making the definition is as brittle as a piece of puffed rice cereal. Now hit it with a 3 pound hammer. THAT'S the similar effect that "micro stamping" in a gun will undergo as the firing pin slams into primers, or case walls slam into chamber walls, or slide into them under the force of the action spring.

The biggest problem? Is yet another bull **** piece of legislation that will do nothing but make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens, and do ABSOLUTELY NOT A GOD DAMN MOTHER ****ING THING to stop crime.
Let me rephrase. Obvious wear issues aside; within the firearm, is there a way to transfer microstanp data not using the firing pin?
In order to comply with:
Quote:
a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.
I'm really curious how one would comply with the "two or more" portion of the reg. Or am I misunderstanding the intent. Is microstamping exclusively created to imprint data on the cartridge, or is it also designed to identify the weapon, like hidden VINs on cars?
If "two or more places" are supposed to imprint the case. One way will need to be the firing pin, that's pretty much a given...correct? Ok, now on to method number two. Hows that going work? Breech face? Ejector? Hand of Gaea? A small laser etcher built into new CA guns?
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #13

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Let me rephrase. Obvious wear issues aside; within the firearm, is there a way to transfer microstanp data not using the firing pin?
In order to comply with:

I'm really curious how one would comply with the "two or more" portion of the reg. Or am I misunderstanding the intent. Is microstamping exclusively created to imprint data on the cartridge, or is it also designed to identify the weapon, like hidden VINs on cars?
If "two or more places" are supposed to imprint the case. One way will need to be the firing pin, that's pretty much a given...correct? Ok, now on to method number two. Hows that going work? Breech face? Ejector? Hand of Gaea? A small laser etcher built into new CA guns?
Any of the methods you mentioned would theoretically work, but realistically, can not be implemented. This idea the Kalifornia legislature has of imprinting the cartridges upon firing is a pipe dream, plain and simple.

My idea would be a stamping surface imbedded in the chamber, so that as the case swells upon firing, it gets stamped.

Then on to the obvious wear issues you mention... run 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through it to damage said surface, and your now "untraceaable"

The idea is that if a weapon is used in a crime, the police can simply collect the spent casing, throw a jeweler's lupe to their eye, and say, "oh hey, this was Joe Blow the plumber's gun that fired this round!!!" (after running the serial and everything through a database of course (which I'll note, is illegal to compile to begin with, with certain exceptions pertaining to distributer's records))

They really think they're going to make anyone "in the know" believe it's so simple. The simple thing would be to stop letting violent criminals back out onto the streets. Their end goal, as always, is to ban guns altogether.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7728 Times on 4461 Posts
Likes Given: 9975

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
easier if you ARE going to do something like commit a crime toss a handfule of random brass on the ground and use a revolver...

stampnings and all that are complete waste of money and time. but gun control is NOT about effective solutions to any problems its about making you less safe with the government in tighter control of your life and criminals free to rape murder and rob so as to make the general populace more fearful and willing to enact tighter controls in order for the government to gain more power... one and and on and on. ever wonder why chitcago DC LA sanfrancisco detroit dallas houston milwaukee are the way they are?? its called working as intended. the more people are victimized the more they are willing to toss away freedom for the yoke of slavery.

democrats and liberals have been PISSED ever since lincoln freed the slaves and want nothing more than a subject slave class so they can live off the hard work of others.

liberals could give two farts if its effective or not as that is NOT the point of the law.

it really makes me want to beat my head against the wall when people start arguing over the merits of things liberals do when the whole point of liberal gun control is not about solving anything except exerting power.
You are spot on-target there Jon.

How many crimes have been prevented and/or solved due to this sort of legislation? My guess would be too few to count. Even law enforcement forensics experts question how this would prevent or help solve crimes since the enormous majority of crimes involving firearms are committed with stolen guns.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #15

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i worked in la for a few months training for a new office the people where hopeless i went thur more then one trainey that dident last a day because i expected them to work. and the few that did made it treated my like **** bacause i was from virginia. i was gald to leave althow they where stund when i showed them my ccl and told them what my morgage was

Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Microstamping law passed

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.....
http://www.news10.net/news/article/245600/2/California-law-takes-effect-on-microstamping-guns

Mosin Nagant/ G26 Gen4/Lefty/Photographer/pyrotechnician

https://www.facebook.com/Ryanrossphotography

Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #17

Liked 846 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 512

And, all you have to do to get around this is pick up your cases!

As an alternative, why don't they just require the gun to E-mail them every time a round is fired, including date, time, GPS coordinates, photo of the shooter shooting it, etc......

Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
And, all you have to do to get around this is pick up your cases!

As an alternative, why don't they just require the gun to E-mail them every time a round is fired, including date, time, GPS coordinates, photo of the shooter shooting it, etc......
you forgot to add asking for permission to retrieve the firearm from it's safety vessel first.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #19

Liked 846 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Yes, that falls under etc......lol

Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1157 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Okay, I am a Kalifornio bandito much grande! So I take my Ruger SR40 with it's Kalifornia approved ten round magazine, and ask myself, "Amigo how do you shoot Juan without los Federales knowing it was your gun (assuming it was leagally acquired, which it probably wasn't)?"

You change out the firing pin! A clean gun. What a great idea.

Not hard to get a clean fireing pin off the internet from Brownells, or Midway or Ruger.

Or who gives a rat's petut, I will just shoot them, throw down the gun, and get another one.

Gee problem solved!

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Last edited by Daoust_Nat; 05-19-2013 at 01:24 AM.