You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

California eyes first-in-nation firearms restraint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2424 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 5287

Default California eyes first-in-nation firearms restraint

California is going over and beyond!

Someone that is anti-weapon, can make an excuse and submit a petition. This is just too much.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/03/6601649/california-eyes-first-in-nation.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California could become the first state to allow family members, licensed therapists and health care providers to petition a judge to take firearms from someone who has shown signs that they could harm others or themselves.

http://the405media.com/2014/08/03/california-law-would-allow-individuals-to-petition-judges-to-take-firearms/

Connecticut, Texas, and Indiana already have laws allowing police to take firearms from individuals they deem dangerous, but this would be the first time a law would permit individuals to seek a court order to do so.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post

Someone that is anti-weapon, can make an excuse and submit a petition. This is just too much.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California could become the first state to allow family members, licensed therapists and health care providers to petition a judge to take firearms from someone who has shown signs that they could harm others or themselves.

http://the405media.com/2014/08/03/california-law-would-allow-individuals-to-petition-judges-to-take-firearms/

Connecticut, Texas, and Indiana already have laws allowing police to take firearms from individuals they deem dangerous, but this would be the first time a law would permit individuals to seek a court order to do so.
Just another reason to move out of state, but in the meantime just stay away from family members, licensed therapists and healthcare providers.
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3692 Times on 1897 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I thought anyone could petition a judge for anything, anywhere, already.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3529 Times on 1961 Posts
Likes Given: 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I thought anyone could petition a judge for anything, anywhere, already.
What did I tell you about thinkin?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
What did I tell you about thinkin?
Is thinkin along the same line as assume?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Liked 158 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 158

So I will put it to all of you like this, what if you had a mentally ill family member who got ahold of a firearm and would not give it to you, now you know said person had a violent undocumented history, would you be fine with that person having a firearm? In FL they have the baker act which I firmly believe in.

Now if I remember right that bill has restrictions on it like they can only hold your fire arms till you seek mental help, correct me if I'm wrong on that.

So with all that being said I don't have a problem with the bill as long as it has stipulations, after all, some mother ****ers just don't need firearms.

I have personally ran into a situation with a non blood family member making death threats with his firearms he said he had (turns out they were high power air rifles) so I showed his txt to the police and they baker acted him for a few days.( That's means they went and arrested him and commited him) it also turns out he had a history of violent mental illness and he is a danger to the public, if I had my way he wouldn't even have air to breath much less a high power air rifle.

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #7

Liked 670 Times on 353 Posts

The way it works in CT now is if say someone in my family thinks I'm off my rocker for some reason they can call local or state pd and let them know, then they will come and remove my firearms, and it is up to me to go before a judge and prove I'm of sound mind before I get them back.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

Liked 2354 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 372

1984, read it and understand it
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #9

Liked 595 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Hmm...this is a tough one

Because in the case of doctors, therapists, etc. they are bound by confidentiality. So what if they put a note our there, "Patient has had some suicidal thoughts". "Patient is having anger management issues over a divorce"...Does that AUTOMATICALLY mean the guy is going to go postal ? Where is the line drawn?

By all means, I fully support of someone reports a dangerous family member, spouse, etc. Get the police out there to give them a once over.

But the medical profession is not supposed to break privilege (like a lawyer) unless they know you plan on committing a crime.

This one scares me and just seems ripe for abuse in CAlifornication.
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #10

Liked 358 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post

So what ???

Wacko's should not have guns anyway.

Unless you literally believe in the 2nd Amendment -- which NONE of the SCOTUS justices does -- that the right should not be infringed no matter what.

In other words, if you think x-cons, wacko's, and kids should all have guns, then I can see where the Commiefornia proposal on this would pizz you off.