California Democrat proposes mandatory gun registration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > California Democrat proposes mandatory gun registration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default California Democrat proposes mandatory gun registration

california people get ready, buy more ammo

California Democrat proposes mandatory gun registration - Taking Liberties - CBS News

Posted by Declan McCullagh

A California Democrat is proposing a new law requiring residents to register their shotguns and rifles or go to jail, CBSNews.com has learned.

Assemblyman Mike Feuer, whose district includes Beverly Hill and West Hollywood, this week introduced legislation ordering law enforcement to "permanently keep" records of anyone who buys a gun from a dealer or an individual. California already stores information about handgun purchases.

Feuer is no friend of firearms owners: his previous legislative effort, which Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law, required all new handguns to include "microstamping" technology that can imprint serial numbers on spent ammunition casings. As a Los Angeles city councilman, Feuer proposed limiting city residents to one gun a month.

Feuer spokeswoman Arianna Smith declined to answer questions about the bill on Tuesday afternoon, saying the staff member involved was in a meeting and not immediately available.

The proposal comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is considering a landmark civil rights case, McDonald v. Chicago, which will decide whether Second Amendment rights in the federal constitution trump state anti-gun laws. But California is proposing mandatory registration -- and not a flat ban, as Washington, D.C. once tried and the justices rejected -- and even legal scholars specializing in this area disagree about whether registration is constitutional.

"Even though the constitutionality of such a measure is a close call, it is a horrible public policy choice," says Gene Hoffman, chairman of the CalGuns Foundation. "Just as Canada is about to do away with their long gun registry after squandering $1 billion, California wishes to attack law abiding gun owners for firearms not used in crime."

A CBC News article last month reported that the Canadian parliament is backing away from the nation's gun registry, which was enacted in 1989 and has now come under fire by critics who call it a billion-dollar boondoggle.

Feuer's bill isn't exactly a surprise: He told the Brady Campaign, an anti-gun advocacy group, earlier this year that his forthcoming proposal would give law enforcement another tool to track down people in possession of illegal firearms. "This legislation will close a glaring loophole and ensure that all firearm records, not just handgun records, are maintained for law enforcement purposes," Ellen Boneparth, spokesperson for the California Brady Campaign Chapters, said in a statement at the time.

Feuer appears to have adopted an unusual approach to introducing his mandatory registration bill. He took an existing piece of criminal legislation, AB 1810, that dealt with graffiti and vandalism, and replaced it with a completely new version with the same bill number.

A hearing is scheduled for April 13 in Sacramento before the California State Assembly's Committee on Public Safety.

At the moment, a minority of states including New York, Maryland, California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts require mandatory registration for handguns. Others, like Pennsylvania, require sales of handguns to go through a dealer, who keeps records of the transaction.

No federal firearm registry exists, though some anti-gun types have pushed for one in the past. An unsuccessful 1995 bill, H.R. 169, would have imposed California-style registration of handguns nationwide through a "federal handgun registration system." Violations would have been punished by up to 12 years in prison. The author of the bill, Rep. Cardiss Collins, D-Illinois, told her colleagues at the time that "I still believe the best way to control handguns is to ban them outright."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Another leftwing scumbag California politician.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I thought all my shotgune and rifles were registered since the 1980's here in California as I bought them. Is this something new? If their registered once at purchase why is it necessary to do so again? It seems redundant for what is already known. So, your saying I have to register all my long guns again? This just is total nonsense and a waiste of taxpayer money. It is totally known what I own here already in this state.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #4

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I remember when I was a teenager California was a gun friendly state. Or at least the part I lived in. I can't believe what has happened?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Liked 1173 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 370

With California's huge budget surplus it only makes sense that they want to implement an expensive program like this.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #6

I wonder if all the gang members are going to register thier guns

Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sure they will...along with the illegal aliens and the elite that feel they are above the law.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Feuer's bill isn't exactly a surprise: He told the Brady Campaign, an anti-gun advocacy group, earlier this year that his forthcoming proposal would give law enforcement another tool to track down people in possession of illegal firearms.
WTF...
How is this going to do anything about illegal weapons. No one with an illegal rifle or shotgun is going to show up to register it.

But the state will probably pass this because they will stick a fee on the process and generate income. The llibs have driven so much of CAs businesses out of the state with their taxation they now have to find ways to nickel and dime the citizens.

I'll tell you they've driven me out. When I retire I'll be moving to somewhere that my money isn't ripped off by the libs.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I'll tell you they've driven me out. When I retire I'll be moving to somewhere that my money isn't ripped off by the libs.
Now we know why you're driving all the way to Texas for the meet & greet - it's a pre-retirement scouting trip! Good on ya Jo...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
I wonder if all the gang members are going to register thier guns
Exactly! gun laws only hurt the law abiding citizen!