California Court Strikes Down Ammunition Law!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > California Court Strikes Down Ammunition Law!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default California Court Strikes Down Ammunition Law!

A victory for our side!

California Court Strikes Down Ammunition Law!

In an important victory for California gun owners, the Fresno Superior Court ruled today that California's new ammunition regulation law is unconstitutional, and blocked further enforcement.

The law, passed last year as AB 962, would have banned mail order ammunition sales and required all purchases of so called "handgun ammunition" to be registered. In an unwritten ruling from the bench, Judge Jeffrey Hamilton found the law unconstitutionally vague on its face and issued an injunction against its enforcement. For now, at least, mail order ammunition sales to California residents can continue, and ammunition sales need not be registered under the law.

The lawsuit-funded by the National Rifle Association and the California Rifle and Pistol (CRPA) Foundation as part of a joint Legal Action Project-was prompted in part by the many objections and questions raised by confused police, ammunition purchasers, and sellers about what ammunition is covered by the new law. Plaintiffs in the case include Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker, the CRPA Foundation, Herb Bauer Sporting Goods, ammunition shipper Able's Ammo, collectible ammunition shipper RTG Sporting Collectibles, and individual Steven Stonecipher. Mendocino Sheriff Tom Allman also supported the lawsuit.

The ruling comes just days before the ban on mail order sales of so called "handgun ammunition" was set to take effect. Many of the nation's largest mail-order and online ammunition retailers had already announced that they would soon end sales to California residents. If the law had gone into effect, it would have required that "handgun ammunition" be stored out of the reach of customers, that ammunition vendors collect ammunition sales registration information and thumbprints from purchasers, and that vendors conduct transactions face to face for all deliveries and transfers of "handgun ammunition."

Fortunately, the court agreed that AB 962 is unconstitutionally vague on its face because it fails to provide sufficient legal notice of what ammunition cartridges are "principally for use in a handgun," and therefore regulated as "handgun ammunition" under AB 962. The law gives no explanation of how to determine what cartridges are "principally for use in" handguns.

The state is likely to appeal this important victory, and anti-gun lawmakers in Sacramento will undoubtedly try again to destroy lawful ammunition sales in California. Only the ongoing support and activism of California gun owners can block those efforts, so please watch your e-mail alerts and visit NRA-ILA :: for updates on this critically important issue.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #2

Hey Mike.

This is such great news, I was able to stock up earlier this month since I bought another pistol(XD45). Think I ended up with over 1k of 45acp for it. Keeping fingers crossed for the future.

Chad

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yes

Now we need to get that shall issue to be state wide.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey Chad, how ya' doin'?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I know that Chad!!

Great news and a beginning for California gun owners!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 AM   #6

Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Hamilton is awesome. You have NO IDEA how happy I was when I heard this. I was in the Wal-Mart parking lot with my girlfriend and I literally screamed hahaha. Then I went into Wal-Mart and saw how they had like 20 boxes of 250rnds of 9mm hahaa

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #7

Finally some good news, maybe in the city of LA, things will also start to change, maybe we can change the mayor and bring in someone to govern and just not go to movie openings or Dodger games. But it is a great step forward

Last edited by ironsights; 01-19-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hey Chad, how ya' doin'?
Doing really good, How have you been ? The foot is getting alot better. Saw the doctor today and the fuse is complete and the hardware stayed in place. Allowed to slowly get back into wearing shoes again and walk without canes or crutches now. Went to the range with my cousin last week and now I have to fix the flinch I got when shooting the rifle after not being able to for two months. Now since I can wear shoes I can start getting back out to sac valley more often. How's the eddy working for you ?

Chad

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Eddystone is good. I got the match trigger installed and the trigger is sweet. You'll have to shoot it when we meet up.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is great news for everyone trapped in CA. I knew there was a ban on mail order ammo but I didn't know it included finger printing and sales records....that's just rediculous.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer