Cabelas in Hammond Indiana - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cabelas in Hammond Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1575 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
But you can do that if you're from Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, or any of the other 43 States w/o a FOID...

plus, jsut because you don't have a FOID doesn't mean you don't have to still pass the same federal NICS background check...

FOID is a joke - instances like this are proof.
If you don't have an FOID card and I know you are from IL I wouldn't sell a gun or ammo to you. If you get back to IL and get in trouble with the gun/ammo the ATF is coming to visit me. Whatever the profit is on a gun or ammo it's not worth getting reamed by the ATF.

To be honest if you were from any of the heavily restricted states I would say no as soon as I saw your ID. A gun shop that can have it's license pulled for little or no reason is not in a position to make political statements.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-21-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you don't have an FOID card and I know you are from IL I wouldn't sell a gun to you. If you get back to IL and get in trouble with the gun the ATF is coming to visit me. Whatever the profit is on a gun or ammo it's not worth getting reamed by the ATF.
You run the same risk of selling that same gun to any other resident of any other state.

You won't sell to me, from Illinois, if I dont' show you my FOID, but you'll sell to someone from Ohio?

If that's your policy - are you even performing background checks?

If you are performing background checks, then what's the problem? FOID or no FOID, i'll still pass or not pass my Federal level NICS background check

Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1926 Times on 1335 Posts
Likes Given: 985

For the still perplexed. Not everything that happens in Indiana is dictated by state law. Businesses can add their own restrictions. Apparently Cabelas does not want a pi$$ing match with the state of Illinois, because otherwise Chicago gangs would sweep the inventory clean. That is reality. You and I might wish Chicago was traded away to Canada (I'd take British Columbia), but for now it is here, stinking up the neighborhood.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
For the still perplexed. Not everything that happens in Indiana is dictated by state law. Businesses can add their own restrictions. Apparently Cabelas does not want a pi$$ing match with the state of Illinois, because otherwise Chicago gangs would sweep the inventory clean. That is reality. You and I might wish Chicago was traded away to Canada (I'd take British Columbia), but for now it is here, stinking up the neighborhood.
I've never once stated they shouldn't have the right to have those policies

I simply have a problem with those policies.

Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee, IL used the same lame excuse.

You cannot walk into Cabelas in Indiana and buy a firearm without passing a background check so, please, tell me, what's the point of requiring a FOID?

What you just said doesnt apply - because those gang bangers can't walk in and buy that firearm, because they wouldn't pass the background check

and IF THEY WOULD pass the background check, they would pass the FOID check too.

Seems stupid to me.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

Liked 232 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I have purchased ammo from Missouri, Indiana as well as KY with cash and nothing else. The GS in KY stated if they know you are from out of state, ie a check or your car's plates in the lot, then they'll go thru procedure. Cabela's in St Louis, no check.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Deleted///////////

Last edited by Mercator; 11-21-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
I've never once stated they shouldn't have the right to have those policies

I simply have a problem with those policies.

Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee, IL used the same lame excuse.

You cannot walk into Cabelas in Indiana and buy a firearm without passing a background check so, please, tell me, what's the point of requiring a FOID?

What you just said doesnt apply - because those gang bangers can't walk in and buy that firearm, because they wouldn't pass the background check

and IF THEY WOULD pass the background check, they would pass the FOID check too.

Seems stupid to me.
I agree, it was an exaggeration. People who set up policies will not tell you that. To them, more is better. Your stupid is their "reasonable" and "for the children". Don't mistake my post for defending their practices. My point is, the city of Chicago casts a long shadow.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I agree, it was an exaggeration. People who set up policies will not tell you that. To them, more is better. Your stupid is their "reasonable" and "for the children". Don't mistake my post for defending their practices. My point is, the city of Chicago casts a long shadow.
I don't disagree with you there. But for me that's the point of all of this =)

Maybe it's a futile effort, but I can't help but try.

Will be making a trip to the Cabelas on Saturday to see for myself.

Hopefully, it's not a store policy...I think we've already established it's not a state law

Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #19

Liked 132 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 229

unless i'm confused, I think it is more about acknowledging the reciprocity of each state's laws....because you need a FOID in IL to touch a gun while shopping in IL for a gun, or need to show the FOID to buy ammo, stores in other states technically have to treat IL residents like they're in IL essentially, so if they know you are from IL when you approach the counter, they'll card you for a FOID first.

And like anything else, some people are good about administering a policy and others are jerks (as in this case).

I understand exactly why you think the policy doesnt make sense, it doesn't. a national background check is a national background check, whether you get one from the illinois state police for an issued piece of plastic that basically means you passed as of this issue date, or you get one at the store that you decided to buy the gun from at the time of purchase, regardless of state.

If a felony was committed after a FOID card was issued, by that card holder, it should be in the national database anyway, so any attempt to purchase regardless of whether or not a FOID card was presented first, should still get flagged.

as you all ready know, the FOID card is simply Illinois's "DA BLE Check" system for firearms and ammo sales....

If you have to shop there again, I would try to get a different sales person.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

PrimePorkchop Likes This