Cabelas in Hammond Indiana
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cabelas in Hammond Indiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Thumbs down Cabelas in Hammond Indiana

This story may sound familiar to some of you, since we've gone through it before with bass pro shops (link in my signature below) but this one has a few differences, namely the state it happened in and the business where it happened.

A friend of mine went to the Cabelas Hammond just inside Indiana (We're both from Illinois) and was checking out some of the rifles and was going to purchase ammunition.

Obviously other customers are looking as well, and the guy behind the counter was giving some very bad information about one of the rifles, which my friend and the guy he was with quickly tried to correct, only to piss off the guy behind the counter something awful. (but hey...if you don't know what you're talking about, there's no shame in saying "I don't know") !!!

Anyways, a few minutes go by, and the guy my buddy is with made a small comment about "Man its nice not having to deal with a FOID card over here" and the guy behind the counter got all snot faced, jerked the rifle from my friends hand, and yelled at them for not saying they were from Illinois to begin with.

Long argument short, he told them that it was Indiana State Law, and they were not allowed to hold any firearms or purchase ammunition.

Now i'm about 98.5% sure that this isn't Indiana State Law...I've looked, and can't find anything, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Was hoping some of you here could help me research it, just like we all did w/ the Bass Pro Shops incident, and hopefully find out this was just a rogue employee who needs some corrective action applied, and not a store policy or, even worse, a state law.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 11-21-2013 at 03:08 PM.
John_Deer Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2224 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
This story may sound familiar to some of you, since we've gone through it before with bass pro shops (link in my signature below) but this one has a few differences, namely the state it happened in and the business where it happened.

A friend of mine went to the Cabelas Hammond just inside Indiana (We're both from Illinois) and was checking out some of the rifles and was going to purchase ammunition.

Obviously other customers are looking as well, and the guy behind the counter was giving some very bad information about one of the rifles, which my friend and the guy he was with quickly tried to correct, only to piss off the guy behind the counter something awful. (but hey...if you don't know what you're talking about, there's no shame in saying "I don't know") !!!

Anyways, a few minutes go by, and the guy my buddy is with made a small comment about "Man its nice not having to deal with a FOID card over here" and the guy behind the counter got all snot faced, jerked the rifle from my friends hand, and yelled at them for not saying they were from Illinois to begin with.

Long argument short, he told them that it was Indiana State Law, and they were not allowed to hold any firearms or purchase ammunition.

Now i'm about 98.5% sure that this isn't Indiana State Law...I've looked, and can't find anything, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Was hoping some of you here could help me research it, just like we all did w/ the Bass Pro Shops incident, and hopefully find out this was just a rogue employee who needs some corrective action applied, and not a store policy or, even worse, a state law.
I am from Iowa. I have purchased ammo and handled firearms in that Cabela's with no problem while having to show my driver license at check out proving my residency. You pissed off the clerk and he was throwing his weight around. Report the guy to management and CC corporate.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2225 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post

There is no such state law here. The Hammond store may fall under a custom restriction just for Illinois. It's a shame that worlds most beautiful skyline is controlled by America's worst a$$oles. As far as the store clerk, we all know the type. But it's unlikely he made that up.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1859 Times on 1274 Posts
Likes Given: 685

A clerk in a gun shop can refuse to make a sale for any reason. Even employees of corporate chains like bass pro and cabelas will not be punished. All he has to say is something seemed fishy about the sale.

Here is a notice from the Bass Pro site. I ordered ammo from them last night.

Ammunition is restricted from sale to DC, IL, MA, NJ and NY City. For other locations, you must be 18 or older to purchase ammunition or black powder. For safety reasons we do not accept returns on ammunition or black powder. All ammunition and black powder are considered hazardous and will be shipped ground, contiguous 48 states only. For U.S. sale only.

Factory reps train employees of large stores to sell their products. The best way to get a bargain is to make nice with the clerk, even if he/she is very misinformed. Your goal is to get the things you want at a good price not to educate the store help.

The best thing you can do at this point is vote out the anti gun legislators in your state. I am sure IL has grass roots organizations and the NRA is active in IL. Grass roots organizations are your best bet. They will get money to candidates who have a pro gun agenda.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #5

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

The Connecticut cabelas has some of their own rules as well. For instance they do not sell SKS even though it is or at least was perfectly legal for them to do so. Now in CT we have to show either a carry permit or an ammo permit to buy any type of ammo. That is one of the new state laws.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #6

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
This story may sound familiar to some of you, since we've gone through it before with bass pro shops (link in my signature below) but this one has a few differences, namely the state it happened in and the business where it happened. A friend of mine went to the Cabelas Hammond just inside Indiana (We're both from Illinois) and was checking out some of the rifles and was going to purchase ammunition. Obviously other customers are looking as well, and the guy behind the counter was giving some very bad information about one of the rifles, which my friend and the guy he was with quickly tried to correct, only to piss off the guy behind the counter something awful. (but hey...if you don't know what you're talking about, there's no shame in saying "I don't know") !!! Anyways, a few minutes go by, and the guy my buddy is with made a small comment about "Man its nice not having to deal with a FOID card over here" and the guy behind the counter got all snot faced, jerked the rifle from my friends hand, and yelled at them for not saying they were from Illinois to begin with. Long argument short, he told them that it was Indiana State Law, and they were not allowed to hold any firearms or purchase ammunition. Now i'm about 98.5% sure that this isn't Indiana State Law...I've looked, and can't find anything, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Was hoping some of you here could help me research it, just like we all did w/ the Bass Pro Shops incident, and hopefully find out this was just a rogue employee who needs some corrective action applied, and not a store policy or, even worse, a state law.
I live near here and the ONLY thing an Illinois customer needs to do is SHOW your FOID card! I hate people like this that give MY state a bad name. That guy was being a D!CK because he got showed up.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I live near here and the ONLY thing an Illinois customer needs to do is SHOW your FOID card! I hate people like this that give MY state a bad name. That guy was being a D!CK because he got showed up.
But that's what I'm trying to figure out ... is it a store policy or a state law?

If it's a store policy - I have a big problem with that.

Sure, they have the right to have that policy, doesn't mean I have to support it or like it =)

That policy basically says that there is an invisible line separating the states, and on the Illinois side of the line, you're a criminal and can't be trusted without your FOID, but on the Ohio side of the line (or Iowa, or Kentucky, etc) you're A-OK and I can trust you completely.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
But that's what I'm trying to figure out ... is it a store policy or a state law? If it's a store policy - I have a big problem with that. Sure, they have the right to have that policy, doesn't mean I have to support it or like it =) That policy basically says that there is an invisible line separating the states, and on the Illinois side of the line, you're a criminal and can't be trusted without your FOID, but on the Ohio side of the line (or Iowa, or Kentucky, etc) you're A-OK and I can trust you completely.
I would think more of a state law IMO. What if you couldn't get your FOID card because of some bad crap you did, so you decide to come over to Indiana to get ammo. I've never bought ammo in another state.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I would think more of a state law IMO. What if you couldn't get your FOID card because of some bad crap you did, so you decide to come over to Indiana to get ammo. I've never bought ammo in another state.
But you can do that if you're from Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, or any of the other 43 States w/o a FOID...

plus, jsut because you don't have a FOID doesn't mean you don't have to still pass the same federal NICS background check...

FOID is a joke - instances like this are proof.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
But you can do that if you're from Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, or any of the other 43 States w/o a FOID... plus, jsut because you don't have a FOID doesn't mean you don't have to still pass the same federal NICS background check... FOID is a joke - instances like this are proof.
I understand. My cousin is from Illinois said anywhere he has bought from in Indiana has asked him for his FOID card. I would think it is almost a universal law for stores who sell firearms/ammo.