Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   CA handgun question (

KAG 09-04-2011 08:57 PM

CA handgun question
A California resident buys a used handgun from a Texas resident at a Houston guns show. It's a Springfield xdm 45. It has a pelican case so flying is not a problem. What will the California resident have to do when he gets home?

Just so you know this is hypothetical and anything you post will not be used to make any decisions.


ttolhurst 09-04-2011 09:18 PM

Turn himself in at the nearest US Attorney's office?

KAG 09-04-2011 09:50 PM

Are u saying the California resident did something illeagal?

Durangokid 09-04-2011 10:03 PM

It is illegel to sell any firearm to a California resident in another state. It is illegel for a California resident to buy firearms in another state. It would be a felony to transport an illegel firearm into California. You may need many lawyers for this crime. Remember you are entering California and you are departing the United States. You have no Constl. Protection after entering the Peoples Republic Of Ca.:eek:

KAG 09-04-2011 11:42 PM

Ok. I was wondering. I was at the Houston gun show yesterday and was trying to sell my 92fs and a guy offered me a fair amount and then said he wanted to know if it came with a case and I said ya. He said he couldn't use that one and wanted to offer me less. I asked why and he said because he was flying back to Comufornia. I told him I didn't know the law well enough and I wont sell it. He turned around and walked away.

Glad I didnt.

Thanks guys!

rigjumpr 09-04-2011 11:56 PM

Sales between individualsFederal law allows the sale of a long gun or a handgun between private parties of the same state as long as the purchaser is 18 years of age or older. An individual who does not possess a federal firearms license may not sell a modern firearm to a resident of another state without first transferring the firearm to a dealer in the purchaser's state.[8] Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence.[8] Likewise, antique firearms are exempt from these sections of the law in most states. (Antique firearms are defined as those manufactured pre-1899 by US federal law, or modern replicas thereof that do not use cartridges. State law definitions on antique firearms vary considerably from state to state.)

I would not do it.

c3shooter 09-05-2011 01:36 AM

Rigjumpr is absolutely correct. The only person that may purchase AND take delivery a handgun from ANYONE while not in his state of residence is the holder of an 03 Curio & Relic FFL. This only applies to C&R handguns. The C&R FFL permits you to collect in any state. An 01 Dealer can only take delivery in his state.

An unlicensed person may NOT receive a long gun outside his state of residence except from a FFL, and may not receive a handgun from anyone- per Federal law- 18 US Code Section 922. (inherited firearms ARE treated differently) In addition, California has state law restrictions on a Cali resident receiving any gun outside the state.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.