Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   CA Gun Owners Face More Harrassment (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ca-gun-owners-face-more-harrassment-4290/)

bkt 04-30-2008 12:36 AM

CA Gun Owners Face More Harrassment

This is intolerable.

California gun owners face further harrassment
April 29, 2008
Thomas Lifson

Bookworm calls our attention to a message from the NRA about an alarming bill being considered by California's left wing legislature, which is gerrymandered into permanent Democrat domination.
Quote:

Anti-gun hysteria has reached a fever pitch in the Golden State. The California Assembly is considering a bill (Assembly Bill 2062) this session that, if passed, will have dire consequences for California's law-abiding gun owners.

AB2062 is scheduled to be heard on Wednesday, May 7 in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.Sponsored by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), AB2062 would require that law-abiding gun owners obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a "permit-to-purchase" would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a "handgun ammunition vendor" in the Department of Justice's database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers. The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer's name, driver's license, the quantity, caliber, type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.
California gun owners already face daunting obstacles. I tried to buy a new gun a few years ago and discovered that all the gun dealers near Berkeley had been driven out of business by onerous restrictions. And the firearms safety course I had previously taken was no longer considered valid. Now, if this bill passes, it will be difficult to visit the firing range more than once a month. And here I thought the Constitution protected the right to bear arms...

bellx1 04-30-2008 01:09 AM

THIS BILL IS REDICULOUS!! Gun laws here in Kali are already overbearing, if it's passed we'll need to pay for a permit to buy ammo for the gun we have a permit to own.
bkt - you are right, it will be near impossible to visit the range more than once a month.
it will also be difficult to maintain your stockpile of ammo ( not trying to sound like a nut)

hillbilly68 04-30-2008 11:03 AM

This is the next campaign, "ammo control" doesn't get the visceral response from the 2A supporters that are non-shooters. I hope this doesn't pass, but it is Mexifornia.

Dillinger 04-30-2008 01:32 PM

Absolutely intolerable! Yet another reason why that State is far down my list of ever wanting to work/live/visit again. My condolences bkt but it would appear that the future of living in Kalifornia is going to be one of predator and prey, with the law abiding, hard working, tax paying citizen being the unwilling prey.

My suggestion is to get your hands on a press and some materials for reloading - perhaps very soon.

*Arm Gesture and double fingers* for the Government of Kalifornia

JD

bellx1 04-30-2008 03:48 PM

i was talking to someone about this proposed bill, and they suggested that maybe the gov. was trying to keep ammo out of the hands of gang bangers. however, if the gangsters want it they'll find a way to get it.

one day, i corrected a teacher on his lesson about how firearms work, and what different things were called such as a shell casing, revolver, cylinder, chamber... ( it was in Forensic Science) within an hour, i had gang banger kids at school trying to have me steal ammo from my dad, ad sell it to them!!

RL357Mag 04-30-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 22852)
This is intolerable.

California gun owners face further harrassment
April 29, 2008
Thomas Lifson

Bookworm calls our attention to a message from the NRA about an alarming bill being considered by California's left wing legislature, which is gerrymandered into permanent Democrat domination.

California gun owners already face daunting obstacles. I tried to buy a new gun a few years ago and discovered that all the gun dealers near Berkeley had been driven out of business by onerous restrictions. And the firearms safety course I had previously taken was no longer considered valid. Now, if this bill passes, it will be difficult to visit the firing range more than once a month. And here I thought the Constitution protected the right to bear arms...

If I lived in Ca. I'd be buying reloading supplies by the ton - or looking for another place to live. But that's gonna be the end result anyway - no right thinking (no pun intended) individual is going to be living there in the future - it will be like a seperate country - full of anti-gun, anti-establishment Liberals. There are rumors about the lead ammo ban (because of concern over Condors ingesting lead) spreading across the entire state! Talk about driving the price up!

bkt 04-30-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 22903)
If I lived in Ca. I'd be buying reloading supplies by the ton - or looking for another place to live. But that's gonna be the end result anyway - no right thinking (no pun intended) individual is going to be living there in the future - it will be like a seperate country - full of anti-gun, anti-establishment Liberals.

And just to be clear, I don't live in CA. My post was the article from the link on the title. I'm one of the fortunate ones: I live in New York State! Oh, wait a minute. It's not any better here, either, is it?

As for moving, I hope to avoid that. The idea sounds great at first, but running from a problem only delays when we'll have to deal with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 22903)
There are rumors about the lead ammo ban (because of concern over Condors ingesting lead) spreading across the entire state! Talk about driving the price up!

Condors? Around here, the concern is poisoning fish. The Coast Guard wanted to do some live-ammo exercises off Lake Ontario (several miles from land) and the envirocommies filled their pants, saying "Noooooo! All the fishies will get lead poisoning and their spawn will be retards!" So, that plan was nixed.

Feh.

RL357Mag 05-01-2008 12:04 AM

[
Condors? Around here, the concern is poisoning fish. The Coast Guard wanted to do some live-ammo exercises off Lake Ontario (several miles from land) and the envirocommies filled their pants, saying "Noooooo! All the fishies will get lead poisoning and their spawn will be retards!" So, that plan was nixed.

Feh.[/QUOTE]

No, I meant the condors in Ca. .A Law was passed in one of the counties in Ca. last year banning the use of lead shot and I believe lead bullets also- apparently some dink is trying to equate condor population drop to ingestion of lead shot - same as they did with ducks...only now the anti-gunners are seizing that argument to possibly ban ALL lead ammo EVERYWHERE in Ca. And Governor Ahnold is backing it!

Zappa 05-01-2008 02:45 AM

When I first got licensed back in the early 80's, Massachusetts had a requirement that gun dealers keep a log of all ammo sales, which included buyer name, caliber and pistol permit number. Sometime in the late 80's, the state actually figured out that all this extra record keeping had ZERO effect on the crime rate, and didn't prove to be useful in any investigations. So they dropped the requirement and freed the gun dealers of this useless extra paperwork.
Can you believe it? Massachusetts, of all places, actually showed some common sense and made life a little bit easier for us evil gun owners?
(I guess that even a blind squirrl finds a nut every now and then)
So what makes the liberal weenies in Kalifornia think that such a record keeping system on ammo will work for them now, when Massachusetts already proved it to be a useless waste of time 20 years ago?

fxstchewy 05-02-2008 01:22 AM

I would say the people that are pushing this do not care if it works or not, IMO it's all about taking away the Tax-Paying citizens right's, they already KNOW it will not do a thing about crime.
I frequent various forums from offroading to guns to motorcycles and the one thing that I see repeatedly is California taking away freedoms of their citizens, the Boxers and Feinsteins and the Arnold are bad news.
Is this state not already Bankrupt? The people of that state need to wake up and elect new leadership..................:(