Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > buying pre-ban 12rd pistol in CA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default buying pre-ban 12rd pistol in CA

New to the forum, sorry if this is inappropriately posted. My friend has sold me his Para Ordnance P12.45, which he bought in 1993.
#1. What is involved in the transfer of ownership? For example, do we have to go through a FFL holder or some other involved process?
Where/how do we obtain the correct paperwork?

#2. Even though the pistol was originally bought before the 10rd limit was imposed in CA, and there shouldn't be a problem in this regard, I'm paranoid nonetheless. We've all heard the horror stories about confiscation, etc. Is this all just urban legend or do I have a legitimate concern?

(he and I both live in CA)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

All private party sales in California must be done through an FFL. The P12 is no problem, but the Hi-Cap magazines cannot be transfered legally within the State of California. Also, possession of a handgun in California that is not registered to you is a violation of State Law. If someone moves to California from another State and brings their legally owned handguns with them, per State Law, they have a specified period of time to register them in California, or be in violation of State Firearms Laws, IE: Illegal Possession of unregestered handguns.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, Jim. Exactly what I needed to know regarding the magazines. Perhaps you can answer this one: If the P12 were instead sold (from CA) to someone residing in another state - a state in which there is no restriction on magazine capacity - can the 12rd mags be transfered along with the pistol?
Thanks again.

Mat

Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matijams
Thanks for the response, Jim. Exactly what I needed to know regarding the magazines. Perhaps you can answer this one: If the P12 were instead sold (from CA) to someone residing in another state - a state in which there is no restriction on magazine capacity - can the 12rd mags be transfered along with the pistol?
Thanks again.

Mat
In general yes, depending on what the individual laws where the recipient lives are. He can also sell the mags to someone residing out of state, or you may retain them disassembled.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.