Buying my son a firearm - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buying my son a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Thank you for the link. Although I do not see any information about persons under the age of 18. I will do some more digging but thank you for the link!

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10090 Times on 4351 Posts
Likes Given: 1608

To take another route to your question- at what age are you permitted to hunt in Ohio WITHOUT having an adult present? If you can hunt with a firearm at 16, 17, etc..........

And no, I don't know the answer in Ohio. But if you can possess a shotgun while hunting, then it would follow you can possess one at home- with the consent of parents.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1248 Posts
Likes Given: 11451

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
To take another route to your question- at what age are you permitted to hunt in Ohio WITHOUT having an adult present? If you can hunt with a firearm at 16, 17, etc..........

And no, I don't know the answer in Ohio. But if you can possess a shotgun while hunting, then it would follow you can possess one at home- with the consent of parents.
Here's a link to a page that will help answer the question on age.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_accompany.aspx

FWIW, I would say if you trust him with the shotgun in his room, go for it. just make sure he has a good cabinet or safe to keep it in when he is not using it, or in direct control of it. That's how my parents did it with me, and my wife and I did it with our daughter. Once he is 18, private party transfer it to him.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1437 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1050

Yes and don't sweat the issue of what will happen if he blasts a big freakin hole in a bad guy. Legal entanglements are stressful and a pain in the ass and will undoubtedly follow any SD shooting...but you're still alive.

And if that actually happened, your son would probably be hailed as a hero.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 850 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 505

there are alot of situations in the us were minors have defended their home from intruders, etc.. it depends on the state you live in, if you live in CA,Ny, IL or some other states like these your probally screwed, most friendly gun states have a castle Doctrine, thats what you need to check....

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #16

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvowner
Hello. A few months ago I bought my almost 17 son a used Remington 870 as a second shotgun (he already has a few rifles but this was considered his first home defense firearm). So 16 year old keeping a loaded firearm in his room. (I trust him 110% in gun safety so please don;t mention that as you are wasting time). We live in Ohio, castle doctrine. I have done some internet searches and things but I haven't gotten a clear answer but in the rare event someone breaks into the homestead, would he be able to draw that firearm and possibly fire it in defense [even rarer] (bad guy was coming at him in aggressive manor). What legal actions would be taken as he is a minor and he had possession of the firearm in his room, not in mine etc. Thanks all for the help in advance. And to all the safety sallies out there, please hold your breath and go play some more call of duty. Thanks guys.
one suggestion might be to ask the local police on a hypothetical what if basis. Since they are the likely ones you/your son would have to fave in the event of a shooting.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #17

Liked 1293 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 554

My how things have changed. In 1973, my 12th Christmas, Santa put a Remington 1100 12 ga under the tree for me. Santa never left that bill of sale. In 1979 I turned 18, but I don't recall going to the courthouse to transfer ownership of my shotgun to me.

Mind you for the first few years of being a shotgunner, it was only with parental approval and/or other responsible adult supervision (big brother, granddaddy, great-aunt).

My great-aunt drove a school bus and would transport my single shot .410 on the floor next to her seat when I visited her on weekends. Try that now.

I hope we have not gotten to a point a parent cannot purchase their children a shotgun if they wish to do so.

One more reason I find to feel fortunate not to have children. If I did for/to my kids what my parents did I would be in jail, spankings, shotguns for Christmas, chores on the farm, oh the abuse I suffered.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 12-18-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #18

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

My 15yr old son keeps a 20ga shotgun in his room for self defense purposes. He has been around guns all his life so I trust him completely. Hopefully he will never have to use it in the house.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #19

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

This sparks interest to me as well. Would OP have to get a transfer paper even though there was no papers or proof of ownership in the first place. (As private sales are, you basically walk off with the gun and just that.) Oh in Ohio anyone under 18 can posses a long gun. 18-21 can posses a handgun (read on these yourself but I checked few sources that said the above).

And as a side not, you can conceal carry when you are 16 in Vermont (again fact checked but not in depth).

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Seems to me there have cases reported in the news where the firearm is owned by the adult but a child had access to it and shot the bad guy when the adult wasn't home. No charges filed against the child. Google may offer some cases.

Presuming it was clearly a BG, then it's self-defense. Is a lawyer going to question why a gun was in his room? I would probably say the answer is there is no law saying firearms can only be kept in one spot, so I would think you're good.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World