Buying my son a firearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buying my son a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Buying my son a firearm

Hello. A few months ago I bought my almost 17 son a used Remington 870 as a second shotgun (he already has a few rifles but this was considered his first home defense firearm). So 16 year old keeping a loaded firearm in his room. (I trust him 110% in gun safety so please don;t mention that as you are wasting time). We live in Ohio, castle doctrine. I have done some internet searches and things but I haven't gotten a clear answer but in the rare event someone breaks into the homestead, would he be able to draw that firearm and possibly fire it in defense [even rarer] (bad guy was coming at him in aggressive manor). What legal actions would be taken as he is a minor and he had possession of the firearm in his room, not in mine etc. Thanks all for the help in advance. And to all the safety sallies out there, please hold your breath and go play some more call of duty. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I do not know the law in Ohio on the particular subject, but personally, i look at it this way.... Would you rather your son protect himself and your family from a violent and possibly deadly attack and have the possibility of a lawsuit, or would you rather him not and something that is not fixable happen? I know personally I would rather face the possibility of doing jail time than have something happen to my child or any loved one for that matter. You would think it would not matter legally speaking, who is defending themself inside of their home, but sadly you cant ever be sure if you can legally defend yourself anywhere these days.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I'm not really sure where Ohio stands on this type of thing but i see where your coming from when i was younger my parents lets me keep the most of guns in my room not only for maintance but also for home defense mostly because they're night meds would let them sleep through a tornado.

There has been multiple cases where kids have had to defend them selves from intruders so best thing i could think is to ask a good lawyer about it just in case.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
I do not know the law in Ohio on the particular subject, but personally, i look at it this way.... Would you rather your son protect himself and your family from a violent and possibly deadly attack and have the possibility of a lawsuit, or would you rather him not and something that is not fixable happen? I know personally I would rather face the possibility of doing jail time than have something happen to my child or any loved one for that matter. You would think it would not matter legally speaking, who is defending themself inside of their home, but sadly you cant ever be sure if you can legally defend yourself anywhere these days.
Point, Thanks for the great input! I totally agree with you. It honestly is a shame how far we have come to a protectionist people. Back then on the homestead, if someone walked in with bad intentions, they were gone. It's a sign of the times my friend. Ohio has pretty good gun laws, I am proud of our state but that could change anytime. Judged by 12 or carried by 6.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvowner View Post
Hello. A few months ago I bought my almost 17 son a used Remington 870 as a second shotgun (he already has a few rifles but this was considered his first home defense firearm). So 16 year old keeping a loaded firearm in his room. (I trust him 110% in gun safety so please don;t mention that as you are wasting time). We live in Ohio, castle doctrine. I have done some internet searches and things but I haven't gotten a clear answer but in the rare event someone breaks into the homestead, would he be able to draw that firearm and possibly fire it in defense [even rarer] (bad guy was coming at him in aggressive manor). What legal actions would be taken as he is a minor and he had possession of the firearm in his room, not in mine etc. Thanks all for the help in advance. And to all the safety sallies out there, please hold your breath and go play some more call of duty. Thanks guys.
seems the laws of common sense have changed somewhat since i was his age. but a lot of that would come down to the laws in your state as regards to a minor having access to a firearm. IMO, i think most parents that own firearms and allow their children or young adults to won firearms are much more suited to making the call as to when or how their children have access to their firearms and ammo.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2336 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Heck with it... screw the legalese. I'd rather deal with an unrighteous law than have my family harmed.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1014 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Look at it this way, It is better to be judged by 12, than carried by six!!

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys for all the help and answers. I have another question (I know you guys are not lawyers or anything so I got that part). It seems that questions like this I can find no answer to on the interweb. I ma not new to guns but I did not grow up with them, so I was never taught all the deep deep laws.

Again Ohio. The 870 was a private sale, no names or anything just an ID. So out of complete curiosity, what would I have to do to legally give that gun to my son when he is 18? Do I just hand him the gun over and shake on it or do I need a contract saying I transferred it to him? Thanks again and I get you guys are not professionals but any insight or thoughts are better than what I have come up with! Thanks again!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvowner View Post
Thanks guys for all the help and answers. I have another question (I know you guys are not lawyers or anything so I got that part). It seems that questions like this I can find no answer to on the interweb. I ma not new to guns but I did not grow up with them, so I was never taught all the deep deep laws.

Again Ohio. The 870 was a private sale, no names or anything just an ID. So out of complete curiosity, what would I have to do to legally give that gun to my son when he is 18? Do I just hand him the gun over and shake on it or do I need a contract saying I transferred it to him? Thanks again and I get you guys are not professionals but any insight or thoughts are better than what I have come up with! Thanks again!
i was taught the rule of, "judged by twelve, vs. carried by six" from my father, many years ago before Texas had a Castle Law and CC. if you are sitting in court defending yourself, at least you are alive and the BG is dead. i would rather be alive and having to defend myself, vs. being dead.

these are strictly my thoughts and opinions, and not advice or suggestions or in any way legal advice to be taken by you or your son. not myself or others can tell you what you or him needs to do. the two of you need to discuss and make these decisions. but i will say this, i pray the choices you make will keep both of you and your family alive in the unlikely event there ever is a violent encounter within your home. good luck and best of wishes to all.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-Gun-Laws

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.