Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buying Guns Out of State

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Moving on, have a great day.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #12

Yea, I got that now, I posted the message as the other guy posted about the federal law.

I have decided to get the firearm in NJ. That way if I do move back there after school, I will not have to attempt to transfer it to NJ.

Yes the speeding ticket points do matter, many people get speeding tickets, and I am sure there are many of you that may classify yourselves as "good drivers" but still gotten a ticket. Also the NMA (National Motorist Association), will happily argue that what the state determines "bad driving" versus what actually causes the most accidents, are very different. See http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/do-limits-matter . This however is not an issue for this forum.

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

-Dave

Last edited by coold8; 02-02-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #13

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I seem to recall it being fairly easy to get a ticket in Virginia...

Old 02-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
NJ requires a firearms ID card. You need a separate permit to purchase for each handgun although unless things have changed, you can get as many as you want at one time. Not sure about getting the app and being printed at the NJSP barracks. I seem to recall that it needed to be signed off by the local PD where you claim residence. As far as insurance changes, it might turn out to be a good thing. NJ has some of the highest insurance rates in the Country.
Nope, one handgun every 30 days...not counting the day of your last purchase.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7789 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
This is governed by Federal law- mainly 18 USC 922. I am NOT a lawyer- am a gun collector and FFL holder.

You may only acquire a handgun in the state where you reside. There is a legal definition of "place of residence". If you reside in NJ, you can ONLY buy a handgun in NJ. Period. You CAN check about changing your official place of residency to VA. VA driver's license, registered to vote in VA, maintain a home in VA, etc.

However, If you LEGALLY acquire a handgun in NJ, yes, you can bring it to VA. No, VA does not have registration of firearms, and you don't need a license to OWN a gun. You may legally acquire a LONG gun from a dealer in any state, so long as your state does not prohibit that (California prohibits Californians from buying a gun in any other state)

You may only acquire a firearm (handgun or long gun) from a non-dealer when you both reside in the same state.
C3, I think it is legal for a CA resident to purchase a gun in another state as long as they have it shipped to a CA FFL for the transfer. I could be wrong about that though (never done it myself).

Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7789 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Nope, one handgun every 30 days...not counting the day of your last purchase.
They made a similar law here in CA several years ago. Two handguns every 30 days. It was almost six months and 12 handguns before I found out that was a maximum allowed, not the minimum required purchase.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8408 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Dad- you are correct. Californian may not take possession from an out state dealer directly, must go to a California FFL.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #18

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Just buy it from a private seller find somebody who is looking to get rid of some guns and make a private sell

Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #19

Liked 1033 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
Just buy it from a private seller find somebody who is looking to get rid of some guns and make a private sell
Don't do this. It's illegal!

The legal way is annoying but not nearly as annoying as all the paperwork that will be filled out during your trial. Plus the prison sentence, that's probably going to be annoying as well.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #20

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

They made a similar law here in CA several years ago. Two handguns every 30 days. It was almost six months and 12 handguns before I found out that was a maximum allowed, not the minimum required purchase.
Two handguns? Down here It's one a month

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------