Buying a firearm out of state - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Buying a firearm out of state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
What can make the trip worth it is handling and dryfiring the gun at the store, before deciding to pay for it. At a place like Bud's you will likely see many other models and compare hands on. If you 100% sure what you want - have it shipped and transferred locally.
great advice a friend of mine owns one and has let me shoot it before. i loved it all ill need to get is a 20lb recoil spring and ill be all set.
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

Stevens 320 Security 12ga

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #12

Liked 577 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
believe me once tax time rolls around this will probably be the gun i get! also thanks for the input guys!
I too would suggest working with a local FFL. Find a shop that you want to develop a relationship with and talk to them about this and future business. I personally have not found that many want to do much more than offer their "every day" business practices and pricing but you may get lucky and find one that wants to work with you. Most I've discussed this with seem to feel their prices are very competitive and won't do much more. But I would try to leverage this transaction in your favor.

Just be honest (your tagline) and don't try to circumvent the process. It will bite you in the behind and you will be kicking yourself in the same place forever.

Hope everything works out well for you!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Liked 2223 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

What gets my goat about our LGS is they all want more than MSRP for the guns they carry. When you mention MSRP they claim they can't buy the guns at MSRP. They also say that online vendors can sell cheaper because they don't have the overhead of a brick and mortar shop, but that is not true. Virtually all online vendors have a brick and mortar shop plus extra employees to answer questions from online customers. Plus they have to have someone boxing up all the online orders. So the online vendor actually has more overhead than the LGS in a tiny shop with one employee. The LGS claims they have better service. Yet in the event something goes wrong they tell you to call the factory. They act like getting a box is a huge task.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5629 Times on 3768 Posts
Likes Given: 2910

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
What gets my goat about our LGS is they all want more than MSRP for the guns they carry. When you mention MSRP they claim they can't buy the guns at MSRP. They also say that online vendors can sell cheaper because they don't have the overhead of a brick and mortar shop, but that is not true. Virtually all online vendors have a brick and mortar shop plus extra employees to answer questions from online customers. Plus they have to have someone boxing up all the online orders. So the online vendor actually has more overhead than the LGS in a tiny shop with one employee. The LGS claims they have better service. Yet in the event something goes wrong they tell you to call the factory. They act like getting a box is a huge task.
John there is no selling above MSRP except in the Times of Trouble, or on temporarily hot items. A gun dealer like a car dealer will discount the inventory he has already paid for, rather than anything special ordered. In so many words its BS and I hope there are competing shops in your area.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
please show us these prices that are over MSRP at your LGS. i'd like to see some proof that they are selling over MSRP and how they are staying in business.

my LGS sells way under MSRP and i seriously doubt he's giving guns away and i am pretty sure he gets his guns from the same distributors as every other gun dealer does.

more that once you have mentioned this and that's why you buy from online dealers instead of at your LGS. i have posted prices of guns at Bud's and other online dealers on guns my LGS carries vs. the price difference. i can still buy cheaper at my LGS than online when i factor in the shipping, FFL fees and tax.

we'd like to see some proof of your statements.
jeffkaiser1989 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
please show us these prices that are over MSRP at your LGS. i'd like to see some proof that they are selling over MSRP and how they are staying in business.

my LGS sells way under MSRP and i seriously doubt he's giving guns away and i am pretty sure he gets his guns from the same distributors as every other gun dealer does.

more that once you have mentioned this and that's why you buy from online dealers instead of at your LGS. i have posted prices of guns at Bud's and other online dealers on guns my LGS carries vs. the price difference. i can still buy cheaper at my LGS than online when i factor in the shipping, FFL fees and tax.

we'd like to see some proof of your statements.
http://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

The Hi-Standard is supposed to be close in feel to the Early 1911's....hope your getting a good deal!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #18

Any Transfers For Suffolk County, New York, can be sent to Secure Operations @ www.LiGunSource.com NYS Pistol & Long Gun Dealer.

http://www.LiGunSource.com

http://www.SecureOperations.com

Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secureops View Post
Any Transfers For Suffolk County, New York, can be sent to Secure Operations @ www.LiGunSource.com NYS Pistol & Long Gun Dealer.
Your first post being a plug for yourself is one thing (I don't really care)... But charging your customers a fee for the NICS check on top of your transfer fee(s) is a slap in the face to your (potential) customers. Not a good way (in my opinion) to present your fees to customers in NY.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2924 Times on 1721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post

Your first post being a plug for yourself is one thing (I don't really care)... But charging your customers a fee for the NICS check on top of your transfer fee(s) is a slap in the face to your (potential) customers. Not a good way (in my opinion) to present your fees to customers in NY.
Lmfao........
Nicer than I would have put it.