Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buying 31 handguns in two weeks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,109
Liked 2572 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
And this is why the firearms purchase limits are being advocated.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/08/16895120-virginia-woman-admits-buying-31-handguns-in-two-weeks?lite

A Manassas woman pleaded guilty to violating federal firearms laws after buying 31 handguns over a two-week span at three Virginia gun shows.

Kimberly Dinkins, 41, pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court in Alexandria to dealing firearms without a license. She faces up to five years in prison.

Court records show that Dinkins resold all of the guns for a profit.


Does anybody think these handguns are being bought by productive members of society?
Honestly, if she didn't sell any of those guns to restricted persons, then I don't really see the problem, at least from a moral standpoint. The ATF has more blood on their hands with illegal sales than she does. It's not stated, but I suspect that if her sales were to restricted people, her hot water would be that much deeper.
She legally purchased products, which she then resold for a profit. Normally this sort of thing wouldn't result in prison time.
Is purchasing 31 handguns illegal? Not that I'm aware of in many locations.
Is selling 31 handguns illegal? Apparently, only if you direct significant energy to it. (Legal definition of "significant energy?") The crime here isn't that she sold 31 handguns. No, it's that she failed to obtain a license to do so from the same group of folks who thought Fast & Furious was a great idea.
I will admit that her judgement was crappy. But was what she did really THAT horrible? How many people on this forum have done more than a couple FTF sales in a month. How much "energy" did you direct to those sales. How many FTF sales does one get before they are in violation of the law? Who decides what that limit is?

If you were to try to explain the nature of this violation to someone from another planet, the question would immediately arise is: Why would someone need govt permission to sell their legal possessions?

Sorry, but I'm a bit contrarian sometimes.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,794
Liked 5154 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 4369

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
at least from a moral standpoint.
.
The legislative bodies of a society make laws. The courts administer those laws. The court has no right to determine moral standpoints. The courts enforce the edicts of the legislative body.

God help us if we ever allow courts to decide morality.
__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SB777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 375
Liked 254 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The legislative bodies of a society make laws. The courts administer those laws. The court has no right to determine moral standpoints. The courts enforce the edicts of the legislative body.

God help us if we ever allow courts to decide morality.
Locutus, I agree with your comments but the single most controversial moral decision in my lifetime was the Supreme Court decision on abortion in Roe vs. Wade. There is no legislation on that issue but the court decision is administered as the law. We've even had a Supreme Court Justice (Ruth Bader Ginsberg) suggest applying decisions by the International Court of Justice to their decision making. Unfortunately the intents of our constitution have become diluted by liberal ideology.
__________________

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

SB777 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,019
Liked 855 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Default

WOW, this thread is making my head hurt! C3 came the closest when he alluded to the *fact*? that she sold at least one of them to a drug dealer or something. Now, if she did not, and there were proper transfers via NICS system, (and I have my doubts they were), I would then like to see where it says specifically how many guns you can buy & sell (properly transferred) in a specific amount of time and not be in trouble......

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,794
Liked 5154 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 4369

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB777 View Post
Locutus, I agree with your comments but the single most controversial moral decision in my lifetime was the Supreme Court decision on abortion in Roe vs. Wade. There is no legislation on that issue but the court decision is administered as the law. We've even had a Supreme Court Justice (Ruth Bader Ginsberg) suggest applying decisions by the International Court of Justice to their decision making. Unfortunately the intents of our constitution have become diluted by liberal ideology.
Correct. the SCOTUS had absolutely no legal right to make that decision since it was not an issue addressed in the constitution. Read the majority opinion and there is no constitutional citation. Only some very vague reference to the "penumbra" of the constitution. They had the power, but not the right.



Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
WOW, this thread is making my head hurt! C3 came the closest when he alluded to the *fact*? that she sold at least one of them to a drug dealer or something. Now, if she did not, and there were proper transfers via NICS system, (and I have my doubts they were), I would then like to see where it says specifically how many guns you can buy & sell (properly transferred) in a specific amount of time and not be in trouble......
Statutory law does not address that point directly, but leaves it up to the discretion of the enforcement authority. The courts use the test of the "reasonable prudent man." And I believe that any reasonable prudent man would say that she was indeed "engaged in the business." That seems indisputable.
__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
On buying used handguns........ Bob Wright General Handgun Discussion 5 10-26-2012 09:51 PM
Buying Handguns at Online Websites - Advantages & Disadvantages bf109 General Handgun Discussion 17 11-11-2010 03:05 PM
Buying 2 handguns sawfish General Handgun Discussion 23 03-23-2010 04:06 PM
eight weeks and nothing Maynard NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 4 11-14-2009 02:57 AM
eight weeks and nothing Maynard NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 1 11-10-2009 08:14 PM



Newest Threads