Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buying 31 handguns in two weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I can buy 31 legal hand guns in one day and not have any NICS checks legaly

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Alright people- pay attention now.

She bought the guns at 3 consecutive gun shows. Dealers are required to file a multiple handgun purchase report if you buy 2 or more in 5 days from the same dealer. Federal law.

No, they were not graduation presents for nieces and nephews- unless one of them is the drug trafficker that got caught with one of the guns in MD.

And no, you cannot sell a handgun to a resident of another state.

No, not illegal to buy 31 handguns.

It IS illegal to "engage in the business" of buying and selling firearms without a license.

No, will not be enough probable cause for a search warrant. Could be enough to have you detained for questioning. Add to that what you say, and it may be enough PC for a warrant.

THIS sort of thing is what is whipping the "gun show loophole" frenzy.

Why did they not get her for strawman purchase? Because that is a lesser included offense in "engaging in the business without a license"- a more serious crime.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #33

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Alright people- pay attention now.

She bought the guns at 3 consecutive gun shows. Dealers are required to file a multiple handgun purchase report if you buy 2 or more in 5 days from the same dealer. Federal law.

No, they were not graduation presents for nieces and nephews- unless one of them is the drug trafficker that got caught with one of the guns in MD.

And no, you cannot sell a handgun to a resident of another state.

No, not illegal to buy 31 handguns.

It IS illegal to "engage in the business" of buying and selling firearms without a license.

No, will not be enough probable cause for a search warrant. Could be enough to have you detained for questioning. Add to that what you say, and it may be enough PC for a warrant.

THIS sort of thing is what is whipping the "gun show loophole" frenzy.

Why did they not get her for strawman purchase? Because that is a lesser included offense in "engaging in the business without a license"- a more serious crime.
It all seems very wishy-washy. Not you, but the whole legal aspect...sans the drug dealer part which I have not read about. If she sold to a drug dealer, knowingly mind you, then she should face some punishment obviously.

Im having a hard time controlling myself from writing a 5 page essay on all the issues I see here.

It might show probable cause of what? That I bought 31 guns? Wanna see em? Come and getum!

Gun show loop hole frenzy? Its not the gun show or the loop holes...ITS THE GUNS!!!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #34

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

C3: How long has the multiple purchase thing been a law and was there a "reason" for it? I only know about it bc my guy told me he would have to report me, so I waited five days and then bought the other one.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Since 1968.

This will answer some questions.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/factsheets/factsheet-multiple-sales-reporting.html

Recovery of a multi-sale handgun used in a crime shortly after it's sale was likely the trigger for this case.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 02-09-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #36

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks C3, or should I say "Gun Google"! So more bs from the GCA. No surprise. I'm sure this law has stopped thousands of criminals in their tracks.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #37

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360
My issue with it is that if she bought and sold 31 guns in a week the sales were probably pre-arranged which would make them straw purchases. Apparently prosecutions for straw purchases are rarely pursued.

My concern is that the purchasers were willing to pay more than she did because they did not want to go through the background check. You have to wonder why.
These are the actions by which the government will try to justify more draconian laws against legal owners. This will overshadow the actions of Eric Holder in Fast and Furious and the current massive purchased of ammunition by the government specifically to keep ammunition away from the general public. They will simply justify their actions as a reaction to what this woman did. The general public is simply afraid of firearms and in their minds the easiest way to ease this fear is naively thinking that banning all firearms will make this country a safer place. Owning, learning how to handle and carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility but those of us that decide to do this earn the right to protect ourselves. Most government officials that want to ban firearms has massive armed security details for protection. Feinstein, who is the poster child for banning firearms has armed security and when she felt threatened obtained a carry permit to protect herself. Talk about hypocrisy ? But yet these politicians only appear to want to take action against legal gun owners but give criminals using firearms in criminal acts a slap on the wrist. The President turned down a suggestion to increase mandatory sentencing for use of hand guns in the commission of a crime. Legal firearm owners need to be squeaky clean and push for more relaxed restrictions on legal qualified gun ownership and the ability to carry concealed. Most police officers I've spoken to have no problem with qualified persons carrying concealed since they are fully aware that they are not the fist line of defense for us we are. I'm not sure what going on in this country but legal gun ownership is being targeted much more than illegal gun ownership. I will leave Tito the readers to draw their own conclusions.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #38

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
There are some folks whom want to buy firearms free of any paper trail associating them with the firearm. This does not mean they are a criminal hiding something but more along the lines of a citizen whom doesn't trust the government paperwork and its possible role in a future tyrannical confiscation. Such folks are often more than happy to pay a slightly higher amount for their firearm.
I know I would pay a little bit more for a gun that is privately sold to me because no paper trail.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #39

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr View Post
I know I would pay a little bit more for a gun that is privately sold to me because no paper trail.
Indeed. I have also payed more for a used (like new) handgun than they went for new because I simply couldnt find one new.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #40

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I only have 2 guns they don't know of. One does have a paper trail ends with my Grandpa and one the government doesn't even know about at all neither does the ATF nor have they ever.