Buy American
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Buy American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3143 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 2001

Default Buy American

We once had a thriving electronics manufacturing industry, no longer! Our textile industry was vast, no longer! American made tires, cars, housewares, shoes, auto parts, steel, the list of imperiled industries is long. Don't let firearms join this list. Buy American!

My argument is not against foreign made quality, only against the dangers of losing another important industry to foreign control.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
We once had a thriving electronics manufacturing industry, no longer! Our textile industry was vast, no longer! American made tires, cars, housewares, shoes, auto parts, steel, the list of imperiled industries is long. Don't let firearms join this list. Buy American!

My argument is not against foreign made quality, only against the dangers of losing another important industry to foreign control.
Amen. Remember companies like RCA, Zenith, Magnavox? At least one Chinese attempt in the gun market failed, Norinco. And another from Korea, Daewoo. But they couldn't compete with the quality of Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson. I live in South Carolina, where the textile industry was once thriving. Now it's all gone to China, Thailand, Malaysia, and South Carolina is the number one poorest state in the U.S. When the rest of the country was upset about 9% unemployment, South Carolina had 22%. Now that the rest of the country claims 7.8%, South Carolina is reporting 14%.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

This sounds good on the surface, but it is the same rationale GM used to push while not doing anything about their reputation for poor quality.

"Buy American" is a poor slogan. Competition is good and America has generally done a poor job of competing in the global market. We are still competitive in the firearms market because we still make quality firearms that are competitively priced.

That said, I am not going to hobble myself by choosing a firearm based on brand rather than what works best for me. I own a mix of firearms manufactured both foreign and domestically. As long as American firearm manufacturers continue to compete well with overseas manufacturers they will continue to get my business.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Some of us poor folks couldnt always afford good ole american quality. I cant afford to waste money I have to get what works and what lasts. Sometimes that aint american. There are products in every catagory that rival american made in quality and the price is usually better. Gotta pay them union dues.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6533 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 6166

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
This sounds good on the surface, but it is the same rationale GM used to push while not doing anything about their reputation for poor quality.

"Buy American" is a poor slogan. Competition is good and America has generally done a poor job of competing in the global market. We are still competitive in the firearms market because we still make quality firearms that are competitively priced.

That said, I am not going to hobble myself by choosing a firearm based on brand rather than what works best for me. I own a mix of firearms manufactured both foreign and domestically. As long as American firearm manufacturers continue to compete well with overseas manufacturers they will continue to get my business.

Isolationism and protectionism benefit no one. Competition rules the free market, and rightfully so.

American companies and workers can compete in the global market. Let those who choose not to compete pay the consequenses.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I support and buy American any time I can. Granted it is becoming harder to do each day. Sometimes I have to play investigator and look to see where the product is made. It is my hope that American products will be available again, but the little voice in my head says, "Not happening."

bluez Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #7

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

http://www.madeinusa.org/ browse by catagory for products made in the US

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1004 Times on 478 Posts
Likes Given: 118

This may help

How to read bar codes

If the first 3 digits of the barcode are 690 691 or 692, the product is MADE IN CHINA.
471 is Made in Taiwan .
This is our right to know, but the government and related departments never educate the
public, therefore we have to RESCUE ourselves.

Nowadays, Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products "MADE IN CHINA ", so they don't show from which country it is made..

However, you may now refer to the barcode - remember if the first 3 digits are:

690-692 ... then it is MADE IN CHINA
00 - 09 ... USA & CANADA
30 - 37 FRANCE
40 - 44 GERMANY
471 ... Taiwan
49 ... JAPAN
50 ... UK

US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This