Bruce gets it - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bruce gets it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind View Post
That's the problem IMO, blaming the object(s) and not the person. This is exactly what people on the left are attempting to do with firearms. If they are incorrect on one isn't it logical to conclude that it is wrong for all?
I honestly do agree with you in most cases, but I dont believe we can afford to bury our heads. There are many facts and instances that show that guns in and of themselves are not the problem. BUT, the whole purpose of the media is to influence behavior - that is its role - make you happy, sad, angry, buy something, vote some way, etc. Given that, isnt it logical that it also can influence marginally stable people to act anti-socially? Dont know what the fix is, but I just dont think we can ignore it.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #22

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411 View Post

I honestly do agree with you in most cases, but I dont believe we can afford to bury our heads. There are many facts and instances that show that guns in and of themselves are not the problem. BUT, the whole purpose of the media is to influence behavior - that is its role - make you happy, sad, angry, buy something, vote some way, etc. Given that, isnt it logical that it also can influence marginally stable people to act anti-socially? Dont know what the fix is, but I just dont think we can ignore it.
But where is the line between freedom of expression and censorship to attempt to keep "marginally stable" people from flipping out? Or expressed another way, why dose one wingnut get to define what everyone else gets to do or say? We can't expect perfect safety but I feel we can expect nearly perfect freedom with the exception of causing harm to someone else by force or fraud. Who gets to make the decision as to where that line is?

I don't know how to fix it either but I do know how NOT to fix it. The path we are on is not the right one, but darned if I can tell you exactly what that right path is. I guess it's like art, I will know it when I see it.
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

There was a murderer in NY who drew inspiration from a barky dog; do we outlaw all barky dogs? It's the crazy people, not the dogs, guns, movies, etc.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
First it was the drugs, then it was the guns, then it will be TV violence, maybe religion after that; the government can't "fix" things to satisfy us all and usually things seem to end up worse off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3411 View Post
Don't disagree. Just saying you can't dismiss the link between media violence and real violence
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingMind View Post
That's the problem IMO, blaming the object(s) and not the person. This is exactly what people on the left are attempting to do with firearms. If they are incorrect on one isn't it logical to conclude that it is wrong for all?
The problem that lies at the flaw in what is being done as a corrective measure is that we are trying to fing a simple solution to a complex problem. There are three sides to the problems with our society, the oinion of person A, the opinion of prson B, and the true problem itself. The first 2, generally speaking, is that they both have evidence that supports their claims, but the 2 sides can't come together to see the true problem, ( think the elephant in the room) and come up with a solution that both can agree on. This is fiurther complicated by the problem of GIGO (garbage in = garbage out) when one side or the other uses "facts" thaty come from inflated or false data. A good case in point is the NY SAFE Act's opening statement of: Due to the 30,000 gun related deaths in the nation , per year...... Govenor CUomo needs to double check his facts. Maybe instead of getting his information from thr Brady Bunch, he should check with the FBI and get their stats.

All of you make some very excellent points in the above posts. The best of all of them is that they show how things get more messed up when the government puts their grubby little hands into a social issue without proper research into that issue, and where Opinions can cause those problems. We, as a Nation will never be able to agree on any one solution to any one problem. This would not be a problem if we all could learn to agree to disagree. Most of us on this forum can, now we need to teach our politicians to do the same.

Quote:
There was a murderer in NY who drew inspiration from a barky dog; do we outlaw all barky dogs? It's the crazy people, not the dogs, guns, movies, etc.
I agree with 'Gello on this one. "We need to ban barky dogs!" wouldn't fly to well with the Pomeranian ownersout there. Why do they think that due to the actions of a few nut jobs, who should have been institutionalized and properly medicated from day one, that ALL of us who own an SUR should be punihed? To me it would be like making me put an ignition interlock on MY truck because my neighbor was convicted of a DWI. It just don't make sense.

Thanks for the Son of Sam reference 'Gello, haven't though of that nut in years.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #25

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/combined
There are some movies about people "flipping out", but not that many and few with happy endings.

The torch to scare the zombies in Omega Man.
Loved that movie, loved Heston.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #26

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My wife just told me that for our anniversary I will be taking her out to see the new Die Hard movie. I am lucky to have a wife that likes all my hobbies.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #27

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

He just became one of my favorites.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #28

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sounds to me like he's covering his own ass. His whole life depends on these movies remember? Arnold Schwarzenegger did the same thing (correct me if I am wrong).