A British Attitude to Guns and Self Defence. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

A British Attitude to Guns and Self Defence.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Locutus, that is pretty much what i was trying to say.

i am not trying to condemn anyone for their actions, but trying to play devils advocate and have many of think about the legal issues that could occur after the fact. Manta brought up some very valid points that should be taken into consideration and thought over. every situation is going to be different and will require a different reaction and that is what i want people to think about. you need to protect yourself during the invasion and afterwards as well. all it would take to go from hero to zero, is an overzealous prosecutor and an unsympathetic jury. just some food for thought.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8009 Times on 4381 Posts
Likes Given: 7758

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Locutus, that is pretty much what i was trying to say.

i am not trying to condemn anyone for their actions, but trying to play devils advocate and have many of think about the legal issues that could occur after the fact. Manta brought up some very valid points that should be taken into consideration and thought over. every situation is going to be different and will require a different reaction and that is what i want people to think about. you need to protect yourself during the invasion and afterwards as well. all it would take to go from hero to zero, is an overzealous prosecutor and an unsympathetic jury. just some food for thought.
You are "spot on" sir. It's fine to say "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" here on the forum. In your bedroom ay 0200, you'd better know what you're doing.

I well remembner a state police trooper in a neighboring state who heard a noise, grabbed his service weapon, and when he saw a shadow in the doorway, he shot and killed his German shepherd.

Another citizen that I'm familar, had a college age son.
The boy and several of his friends got a little beered up, and decided it would be "jolly good fun" to scare the krap out of mom and dad. As they came through the "jimmied" living room window around midnight, dad woke up, grabbed his shoptgun, and killed his son and the son's best friend.

You can't take a bullet back once it leaves the muzzle.

Or at least they did before political correctness
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2571 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 4080

Quote:
i think going after a fleeing armed intruder as needless and foolish simply because of the possible legal ramifications and the fact they yes they can turn on you and kill you in a heartbeat as you put it
i would not chase after a gun armed person? Shooting a scumbag who has attacked me and/or mine and then runs away armed with a gun is another matter: i will shoot him. Besides i'm too damn old to go chasing anyone.

Last edited by alsaqr; 07-29-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
i would not chase after a gun armed person? Shooting a scumbag who has attacked me and/or mine and then runs away armed with a gun is another matter: i will shoot him. Besides i'm too damn old to go chasing anyone.
well i listed my reasons and why i am thinking the way i do. you have the right to do it the way that pleases you and dearly hope it doesn't come back to cause you misery. i just want to give people somethings that need to be taken into consideration and how i feel about this.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #45

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKShootist
I have raised this scenario many times in UK forums. It may help to know that I an a retired police officer with 22 years service, and a firearms owner. The scenario, while fictional, is based very firmly in reality. An American perspective would be interesting.

For the purposes of this scenario, assume I'm a single man who has been in a relationship with a person of the female persuasion, and we are considering moving in together. One day she tells me that there may be a problem. A long time back she had a boyfriend who turned out to be a stalking psycho. He is about to be released from prison where he has served seven years for half killing one of her previous boyfriends. He has heard about me, and has said that when he is released his will find me and kill me.

So, one Friday evening I'm at home when I hear someone in the street screaming my name and that he was going to kill me. I look out of the window and see a man with a large machete. I call the police and by massive coincidence they are round the corner. The man hears the two tones and is away over the hill.

The police come and seem me and I explain the situation. They say theres a good chance of catching him over the weekend. I say I will stay at home with doors and windows locked. If he returns I will call the police. In the meantime, I will get a shotgun and a couple of rounds of 00. If he returns I will sit at the top of the stairs with the shotgun. If the man forces entry and starts upstairs, after I've shouted a warning', I'll shoot him.

The question is, what would the police do? Answer, without a shadow of a doubt, is that they would remove all of my firearms from the home.

Your thoughts?
I'd get my ass out of the UK

No offense, (or offence)

Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #46

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

I know a man who was joking with his friend and yelled "I'm going to kill you!" Police nearby his house heard this and came and searched his house for weapons and took them....He lawyered up and got them back but HONESTLY...

I would be more ok with the police holding the man in a cell overnight for a psych evaluation rather than just taking his guns...

Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #47
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The police need that crazy guy roaming the streets.

Their attitude is "If the 'crazy' kills this guy, so much the better,

WE'll get a higher budget next year!"

If it became known to criminals that they were to be

treated like the scum they are, what would happen to LE

budgets, when crime stats dropped to ZERO?
Really? You are actually that cynical? There is no shortage of criminals in the US. Plant a REALLY bad one and it will not effect the budget one red cent. It may, however save a few honest lives down the road. Your sarcasm is not in good taste.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
and if he was running away and you shot him, and i sat on the jury, i would vote guilty on murder or attempted murder. when they flee the scene they are not a threat anymore. better think long and hard about how you conduct business, as it could land you in prison right along the criminals.
That is a very ill-informed knee jerk reaction. The BG has a gun and is retrating. He can just as easily retreat to a position of cover and re-engage you in a gun battle. I have little problem with shooting an armed BG in the back. Be very carefyul how quickly you jump to a conclusion about justification and tactics. That kind of attitude will get you killed.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is a very ill-informed knee jerk reaction. The BG has a gun and is retrating. He can just as easily retreat to a position of cover and re-engage you in a gun battle. I have little problem with shooting an armed BG in the back. Be very carefyul how quickly you jump to a conclusion about justification and tactics. That kind of attitude will get you killed.
Robo, if you were sitting in court, charged with murder, because you shot an intruder in the back and it goes before a jury, are you for sure the jury is going to be sympathetic to you shooting someone in the back?

my point is if they are still in the house, they are still a threat. if they leave the house, fleeing for their life, i'm not going to pursue them.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #50

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I personally wouldn't shoot a fleeing suspect in the back so long as they didn't pose a threat to me/mine. Plain and simple. I am not going to go out chasing after someone guns a blaze, leaving my traumatized family inside by themselves. That and in my state, there would be legal consequences of doing so. So long as the person still didn't pose a threat as they were fleeing.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity
axxe55 Likes This