A British Attitude to Guns and Self Defence.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A British Attitude to Guns and Self Defence.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A British Attitude to Guns and Self Defence.

I have raised this scenario many times in UK forums. It may help to know that I an a retired police officer with 22 years service, and a firearms owner. The scenario, while fictional, is based very firmly in reality. An American perspective would be interesting.

For the purposes of this scenario, assume I'm a single man who has been in a relationship with a person of the female persuasion, and we are considering moving in together. One day she tells me that there may be a problem. A long time back she had a boyfriend who turned out to be a stalking psycho. He is about to be released from prison where he has served seven years for half killing one of her previous boyfriends. He has heard about me, and has said that when he is released his will find me and kill me.

So, one Friday evening I'm at home when I hear someone in the street screaming my name and that he was going to kill me. I look out of the window and see a man with a large machete. I call the police and by massive coincidence they are round the corner. The man hears the two tones and is away over the hill.

The police come and seem me and I explain the situation. They say theres a good chance of catching him over the weekend. I say I will stay at home with doors and windows locked. If he returns I will call the police. In the meantime, I will get a shotgun and a couple of rounds of 00. If he returns I will sit at the top of the stairs with the shotgun. If the man forces entry and starts upstairs, after I've shouted a warning', I'll shoot him.

The question is, what would the police do? Answer, without a shadow of a doubt, is that they would remove all of my firearms from the home.

Your thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
I have raised this scenario many times in UK forums. It may help to know that I an a retired police officer with 22 years service, and a firearms owner. The scenario, while fictional, is based very firmly in reality. An American perspective would be interesting.

For the purposes of this scenario, assume I'm a single man who has been in a relationship with a person of the female persuasion, and we are considering moving in together. One day she tells me that there may be a problem. A long time back she had a boyfriend who turned out to be a stalking psycho. He is about to be released from prison where he has served seven years for half killing one of her previous boyfriends. He has heard about me, and has said that when he is released his will find me and kill me.

So, one Friday evening I'm at home when I hear someone in the street screaming my name and that he was going to kill me. I look out of the window and see a man with a large machete. I call the police and by massive coincidence they are round the corner. The man hears the two tones and is away over the hill.

The police come and seem me and I explain the situation. They say theres a good chance of catching him over the weekend. I say I will stay at home with doors and windows locked. If he returns I will call the police. In the meantime, I will get a shotgun and a couple of rounds of 00. If he returns I will sit at the top of the stairs with the shotgun. If the man forces entry and starts upstairs, after I've shouted a warning', I'll shoot him.

The question is, what would the police do? Answer, without a shadow of a doubt, is that they would remove all of my firearms from the home.

Your thoughts?
UK, sorry to hear that would happen to someone just defending themselves and i am guessing this has happened before in your country?

some states here in America have Castle laws that allow the use of deadly force to protect a person against intruders. the state i live in, Texas has such a law.

i think everyone should be afforded the right to protect themselves, their loved ones and their property from criminals, and not just here in America but every country. sad, but i doubt that is something i will probably never see in my lifetime.

but the right to defend yourself is IMO, a God given right and something that should never be taken or given away by any government or group.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:

Your thoughts?

Yep - That's the situation in the UK.
There are many here in US that want to put us in that same situation!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

A good and proper LEO would look you square in the eye and with all honesty tell you he wishes not that evil on you or yours but understands (as it is his duty to serve and protect) that you must do what you have to do to serve your family and protect it as well as yourself.

"To serve and protect"...rather ironic when they would rather take your own means of protection...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 157

You are allowed to use lethal force in the UK as well. You are allowed to use reasonable force that could include lethal force depending on the threat.
A recent case below where a burglar was fatally stabbed by the owner of the house he had broken into.
Asked about the stabbing, Mr Clegg said: “The law is very clear: you have every right to defend yourself, your home, your property, your family.

“The law is really unambiguous on that and no one should feel they haven't got a right to do that.

As for using a firearm self defense is not seen as a god reason for owning a firearm except in some cases in N Ireland.
Legally owned firearms have being used in the UK in the past for self defence even tough that was not the reason the firearm was acquired.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Keep your mouth shut
iofzkitays.jpg  

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was robbed a few weeks ago. I asked the responding police officer, "if they come back while I'm home, what happens if I just shoot and kill them?"

His response: "Makes my job easier, I won't have to catch them."

Me thinks you need to get in a rowboat or something and make your way across that pond...

Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I was robbed a few weeks ago. I asked the responding police officer, "if they come back while I'm home, what happens if I just shoot and kill them?"

His response: "Makes my job easier, I won't have to catch them."

Me thinks you need to get in a rowboat or something and make your way across that pond...

Reasonable force. A bad shooting in America and you could end up in jail the same as the UK.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Reasonable force. A bad shooting in America and you could end up in jail the same as the UK.
sad you live in a country that does not allow you the right to defend yourself against an armed attacker bent on doing you harm. this is an issue that is being fought and defended here everyday in America. we will not give up this right without huge opposition and we have several organizations that fight for these rights.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2946 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
What about this scenario tells you it is a "bad shooting"? Someone comes into you home and commits a Felony! You have every right to defend yourself from felonious behavior. This is a natural right given to us by our creator. In most jurisdictions ini America, you would be questioned, the case turned over to a Grand Jury who would quite properly "no bill" you. You would get your gun back and a quiet pat on the back from the officers.

Protecting ones self from a predator is your right, no matter how many legs the predator happens to have.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This