Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > BREAKING - Gunman reported shooting on Illinois campus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is just one more example of how worthless the LAMEstream news media is.

At first, some sources were reporting that 18 students were injured, four critically, none killed. They stated that only the shooter was killed.

Then some sources started stating that 14 students were injured and four killed, plus the shooter.

It now appears that four innocents ARE dead. So the WORTHLESS LAMEstream news media got everybody's hopes up falsely claiming that no innocents had been killed, then we turn around and find out four are indeed dead.

It's pathetic that these multi-billion dollar media conglomerates can't get the most basic facts straight in an emergency situation.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Defender, I agree. Learned a long time ago who to listen to and who not to. First, totally ignore the alphabet news, ABC, CBS and NBC. There is a reason Fox news is now rated number one. There is also a reason CNN is called the Clinton News Network. MSNBC is now MSNBS. Most of the news media is so anti-republican it's scary. Ever since Watergate, the news media think it's there job to create the news to lead the country on the proper path. Me, I don't need to be lead by anybody.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenJohnson View Post
Gunman wore black trenchcoat. Had 2 pistols and a shotgun. He emptied the gun, then just reloaded. 8 victims have head, chest and neck wounds. We'll know more tomorrow. Why students?
More than likely because the wacko knew that he'd be the only one around with a gun, since all our campus's have become gun free hunting zones for nut jobs..

Not to mention the lack of willingness on the part of some campus security forces to actually protect the students... after the VT shootings, we had a memorial on campus at U of Toledo, right out on the mall, surrounded by numerous tall buildings, clear lines of fire in from off campus, etc.. No effort whatsoever on the part of the UTPD to secure the area, one uniform at the ceremony, near the front of the crowd, unsure if she was armed, no patrols around the event, or a shooter on a roof watching over the crowd, if someone had wanted to make a statement, it sure would have been easy...

Last edited by sgnellett; 02-15-2008 at 02:35 AM.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #14

This is exactly why gun bans don't work. You can put 100 pieces of paper up prohibiting guns and you see what you end up with. 18 victims that had no means of defending themselves. I hope the anti-gun people are proud of their work to get these weapon bans passed. That really work well.

Proud NRA member

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default From the Chicago Tribune

Quote:
A former graduate student armed with a shotgun and two handguns opened fire Thursday afternoon in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, killing five students and wounding 16 others before shooting himself to death, authorities said.
The shooting occurred about 3 p.m. during a geology class in a large lecture classroom in Cole Hall, authorities said. The gunman, dressed in black, entered through a back door and came through a curtain behind the stage before opening fire on the students.
"The assailant began firing into the assembled class from the stage," NIU President John G. Peters said at a news conference Thursday evening. "Eyewitness accounts describe a very brief rapid-fire assault that ended with the gunman taking his own life."
Four of the victims who were killed were female, and one was male, Peters said. They were all undergraduate students. The wounded included 15 undergraduate students and one graduate student who was acting as a teacher's assistant, Peters said.
Four, including the gunman, died at the scene, and two died later in a hospital, Peters said. As of 8 p.m., four patients were reportedly in critical condition, two at Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb and two at other regional hospitals.
The gunman was a sociology graduate student who was enrolled in classes at NIU last spring but was not currently enrolled there, Peters said. Authorities were not releasing his identity Thursday night but said they were not aware of any criminal history or violence in his past.
The gunman was found dead on the stage of the lecture hall, NIU Police Chief Donald Grady said. The shooter had a shotgun, a Glock pistol and one other small-caliber handgun, with ammunition still left in both handguns, Grady said. He said gun magazines were found "all over the floor."
"We believe there was only one shooter," Grady said. The shooting was "over in a matter of minutes," he said.
Peters said the motive for the "senseless tragedy" was unknown, but authorities had "no reason to believe" it was related to threats found on a bathroom wall on campus in December. The threats made reference to the 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech.
Classes will be canceled at least through Friday, Peters said. Students can go to any residence hall for counseling.
"We're advising them to remain calm, to seek counseling and support services," Peters said. He said the lecture hall remained an active crime scene Thursday night, with Illinois State Police, FBI and agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives all assisting DeKalb County authorities.
"We will be urgently tracing the firearms and learning the history of the weapons," said ATF Special Agent Thomas Ahern. He said agents will run the weapons through a national tracing center to "learn where they came from and how the shooter came to possess them."
Jillian Martinez, a freshman from Carpentersville, said she was in the auditorium in Cole Hall when the gunman entered through a door to the right of the lectern and opened fire about 3 p.m.
"He just started shooting at all the kids," she said. "He just started shooting at people, and I ran out of there as fast as I could. I ran all the way to the student center; when I got there I could still hear shooting [from the classroom]."
Martinez said the assailant was a white man and was carrying a large gun.
Dominique Broxton, 22, a student from Oak Park, said she could see two wounded students from her dorm room.
"The ambulance took away two students on the ground right outside my dorm," she said. "I don't know them. They looked bloody. Where I am right now, there are a lot of police, at least a dozen. There are police cars and trucks everywhere."
Broxton said the scene was chaotic.
"I saw a lot of confusion," she said. "Students were running. People really didn't know what was going on. There is an intercom system inside the dorm. Someone came on and stated that someone had been caught. They said they caught the shooter and that we should remain calm and stay in our rooms. I am in my room now."
Sophomore Geoff Alberti of Geneva told his parents he was in the geology class when the gunman entered the auditorium-style classroom through an emergency exit. The gunman did not say anything before opening fire on the class, he told his parents.
The tally just kept on growing. Let's say prayers for the families.