Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Brandishing a Pistol: Assault? Illegal or Legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Brandishing a Pistol: Assault? Illegal or Legal?

I was wondering what the laws were Texas surrounding this issue.

My brother was driving the other day and the he was in had to merge into the adjacent lane. Some car tried to speed up and cut him off so he couldn't get over, however there was no other option besides being run off the road! He gave them the finger as they passed by and they (two black females in a silver lexus) sped off. They returned, this time on the passenger side, to harass him and give him the 'bird,' of course the eff-u was returned by my brother. They then sped off again. This time they returned on the drivers side and the passenger was holding a glock - not pointed at him but still brandishing a weapon in a threatening manner.

Is this illegal??
Now I don't know the whole story and I wasn't there but isn't that aggravated assault with a deadly weapon? The way the story was told, is this enough to (God forbid) shoot someone. I would have been scared sh*tless! I carry in my car under the seat because that's legal in Texas, but I don't know if I would have even thought about pullin my weapon. I don't want to have kill someone especially some girl that thinks shes hot stuff with a gun that thinks she can bully someone off the road. I mean my knee-jerk would be to BRAKE and move away from the threat but what if she had pulled up and started shooting, I mean WTF?

He got the license plate and the make of the car and details and stuff and filed a police report, but do the police actually even look into this stuff??

If there are any police on here please respond with what procedure you would take and how the police would handle a report like that.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

of course it illegal.

But try to convince a jury that you were scared for your life when you shot into a moving vehicle, from your moving vehicle, thereby putting everyone on the road at risk.

To "defend" yourself in a situation where some jackoff tried to keep it real on the highway by displaying a pistol, would be flat out ignorant. Even for a Texan

you could easily apply brakes and change lanes to avoid confrontation, then a subsequent call to 911.

There are lots of "what-ifs" that could apply here.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2054 Times on 1111 Posts
Likes Given: 3087

It takes two drivers to play the silly road rage game. What is wrong with backing off, getting a license number and calling the cops?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #4

We already went over the story... He did brake get the plate and call 911... But are the cops really going to do anything?

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
We already went over the story... He did brake get the plate and call 911... But are the cops really going to do anything?
My son and his girfriend went through a similar situation a few years ago, but in VA. They reported it, and the woman was arrested and found guilty. Don't recall the punishment, though.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
Someone almost ran my wife off the highway in San Antonio (hitting her car in the process) and kept on going afterwards. She got the plate numbers, we called the cops, and they got a nice visit...

Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would hope they would follow up on idiots road raging and brandishing ghey's.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I would hope they would follow up on idiots road raging and brandishing ghey's.
That's what I hope. I mean you cant just go around whipping your pistol out... that's ridiculous! I hope the police investigate because indiscretions like that shouldn't be glossed over and go without consequence.

Does anyone know what the offense would be categorized as? (e.g. aggravated assault or something)

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 02-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Unless the gun was pointed at you, it is doubtful a court would accept any sort of assault charge. Deadly Conduct would still require the gun be pointed in your direction. The most appropriate charge would be Disorderly Conduct #8 (display firearm in a manner calculated to alarm).
This is a Class B Misdemeanor. Will an agency actually investigate and pursue charges? It depends on the agency.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thread killed by Robo, before 7PM.

TXnorton

Tags
assault, brandish, brandishing, car, illegal