Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Brady Campaign discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrimePorkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Urbana,Illinois
Posts: 1,748
Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Brady Campaign discussion

Yes, my blood pressure is up too. But know your enemy. A statement from the brady campaign has me perplexed...im trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to pass off as information, but i'm legitimately having trouble as they're using the typical loose ended talk that can go many ways.

Their talking point is that 40% of guns sold in this country are done so with no background checks at all...i just don't understand what they're talking about and how they claim to come to that number.

Also, they keep talking about laws that "save lives" but give no examples of any such laws that I can find.

Anyone know a little more about all of this than I?

Edit: IT seems as though that 40% they're talking about is referring to face-to-face sales....but what I can't figure out (and maybe its because it doesnt exist) is the information they're using to "arrive" at that 40% mark...it seems made up and incredibly inflated.

__________________
VICTORY IS OURS
Because of members of THIS FORUM - Bass Pro Shops have reversed their anti-2nd Amendment policies on ammunition sales in the State of Illinois

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 07-26-2012 at 04:14 AM.
PrimePorkchop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: georgetown,delaware
Posts: 256
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

The 40% could possibly include stolen guns sold on the street?

__________________
Badshot320 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Idaho --,Happy
Posts: 1,905
Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

What they want to stop are the guns sold at the gun shows. They complain that at the gun shows you don't fill out the same paper work or have the backround checking.

__________________
Flat Tire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Yes, my blood pressure is up too. But know your enemy. A statement from the brady campaign has me perplexed...im trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to pass off as information, but i'm legitimately having trouble as they're using the typical loose ended talk that can go many ways.

Their talking point is that 40% of guns sold in this country are done so with no background checks at all...i just don't understand what they're talking about and how they claim to come to that number.

Also, they keep talking about laws that "save lives" but give no examples of any such laws that I can find.

Anyone know a little more about all of this than I?

Edit: IT seems as though that 40% they're talking about is referring to face-to-face sales....but what I can't figure out (and maybe its because it doesnt exist) is the information they're using to "arrive" at that 40% mark...it seems made up and incredibly inflated.
they are lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
What they want to stop are the guns sold at the gun shows. They complain that at the gun shows you don't fill out the same paper work or have the backround checking.
no, what they want to stop is all gun sales!
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Idaho --,Happy
Posts: 1,905
Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
they are lying!



no, what they want to stop is all gun sales!
Maybe, but they know they won't get that so they are after the high volume mags, week waiting period, pistol grip rifles, gun show loop holes, etc, etc-
__________________
Flat Tire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrimePorkchop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Urbana,Illinois
Posts: 1,748
Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default

So then there are some gun show "loop holes" ? This is what im after...not to prove them right, but to seek out where they're manipulating their information to arrive at that magic number of 40%.

Essentially what they're doing is making it sound like every last gun sold in that 40% is sold to a criminal - guilty until proven innocent...

Now, forgive me if this makes me seem stupid for now knowing the answer...but I thought all firearms sold by a dealer had to have the proper paperwork? Every gun i've ever purchased - online, at a shop, or a pawn shop, i've had to fill out the background check and go through the waiting period...so...where are they getting their information that says people are buying guns w/ no background checks from established gun dealers?

__________________
VICTORY IS OURS
Because of members of THIS FORUM - Bass Pro Shops have reversed their anti-2nd Amendment policies on ammunition sales in the State of Illinois
PrimePorkchop is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 6,973
Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default

Every gun show I've been to, you still fill out a 4473. As for face-to-face sales, since there are only two parties involved and no paperwork, it's impossible to arrive at a number. That 40% number they're throwing out is a WAG.

__________________
bkt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,376
Liked 1152 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
So then there are some gun show "loop holes" ? This is what im after...not to prove them right, but to seek out where they're manipulating their information to arrive at that magic number of 40%.

Essentially what they're doing is making it sound like every last gun sold in that 40% is sold to a criminal - guilty until proven innocent...

Now, forgive me if this makes me seem stupid for now knowing the answer...but I thought all firearms sold by a dealer had to have the proper paperwork? Every gun i've ever purchased - online, at a shop, or a pawn shop, i've had to fill out the background check and go through the waiting period...so...where are they getting their information that says people are buying guns w/ no background checks from established gun dealers?
In many states it is legal to buy a gun from an individual, non-FFL holder, with no paperwork. A bill of sale is a good idea, but not legally required in such "face to face" transactions. These exchanges occur routinely at gun shows here in WI.

Licensed dealers have to run the Federal, and state where required, background checks, even at gun shows. In WI the 48 hour waiting period must be adhered to as well. Failure to follow rules on ALL transactions will cost a dealer their FFL.
__________________
Gatoragn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Key West,Florida
Posts: 278
Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I'm sure they have some crazy disclaimer in there saying something like "Data taken in a poll of 500 Democrats". It's kind of like when you see a sign in a restaurant "Voted The Best Pizza in Florida". Voted by who? Did they ask all the employees of the restaurant to vote? Maybe they checked with 500 prison inmates convicted of a gun related crime and asked them if they bought their gun legally through a dealer or in an alley on the street and 40% of them admitted to buying it illegally in trade for a reduced sentence. This is the internet days. I can find data on line saying Rock Hudson was straight, Hitler is alive and Obama is American if I look hard enough.

__________________
KeysKelly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 202
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
I can find data on line saying ...........Obama is American if I look hard enough.
Says who????????????????
__________________
NativH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Action Alert: Brady Campaign and Paul Helmke are Sick!!! sculker The Club House 7 12-30-2008 05:40 AM
"This is ground control---come in Brady Campaign"- tracker Legal and Activism 0 07-18-2008 09:17 PM
Free posters from the Brady Campaign! Declaration Day The Club House 10 02-02-2008 08:19 PM
Brady (Disinformation) Campaign Begins Against Parker V. D.C. opaww Legal and Activism 3 06-09-2007 08:52 PM