Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Brady Campaign discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/brady-campaign-discussion-68982/)

PrimePorkchop 07-26-2012 04:10 AM

Brady Campaign discussion

Yes, my blood pressure is up too. But know your enemy. A statement from the brady campaign has me perplexed...im trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to pass off as information, but i'm legitimately having trouble as they're using the typical loose ended talk that can go many ways.

Their talking point is that 40% of guns sold in this country are done so with no background checks at all...i just don't understand what they're talking about and how they claim to come to that number.

Also, they keep talking about laws that "save lives" but give no examples of any such laws that I can find.

Anyone know a little more about all of this than I?

Edit: IT seems as though that 40% they're talking about is referring to face-to-face sales....but what I can't figure out (and maybe its because it doesnt exist) is the information they're using to "arrive" at that 40% mark...it seems made up and incredibly inflated.

Badshot320 07-26-2012 04:24 AM

The 40% could possibly include stolen guns sold on the street?

Flat Tire 07-26-2012 04:31 AM

What they want to stop are the guns sold at the gun shows. They complain that at the gun shows you don't fill out the same paper work or have the backround checking.

dog2000tj 07-26-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop (Post 882219)
Yes, my blood pressure is up too. But know your enemy. A statement from the brady campaign has me perplexed...im trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to pass off as information, but i'm legitimately having trouble as they're using the typical loose ended talk that can go many ways.

Their talking point is that 40% of guns sold in this country are done so with no background checks at all...i just don't understand what they're talking about and how they claim to come to that number.

Also, they keep talking about laws that "save lives" but give no examples of any such laws that I can find.

Anyone know a little more about all of this than I?

Edit: IT seems as though that 40% they're talking about is referring to face-to-face sales....but what I can't figure out (and maybe its because it doesnt exist) is the information they're using to "arrive" at that 40% mark...it seems made up and incredibly inflated.

they are lying! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat Tire (Post 882237)
What they want to stop are the guns sold at the gun shows. They complain that at the gun shows you don't fill out the same paper work or have the backround checking.

no, what they want to stop is all gun sales! ;)

Flat Tire 07-26-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 882247)
they are lying! ;)

no, what they want to stop is all gun sales! ;)

Maybe, but they know they won't get that so they are after the high volume mags, week waiting period, pistol grip rifles, gun show loop holes, etc, etc-

PrimePorkchop 07-26-2012 05:14 AM

So then there are some gun show "loop holes" ? This is what im after...not to prove them right, but to seek out where they're manipulating their information to arrive at that magic number of 40%.

Essentially what they're doing is making it sound like every last gun sold in that 40% is sold to a criminal - guilty until proven innocent...

Now, forgive me if this makes me seem stupid for now knowing the answer...but I thought all firearms sold by a dealer had to have the proper paperwork? Every gun i've ever purchased - online, at a shop, or a pawn shop, i've had to fill out the background check and go through the waiting period...so...where are they getting their information that says people are buying guns w/ no background checks from established gun dealers?

bkt 07-26-2012 10:32 AM

Every gun show I've been to, you still fill out a 4473. As for face-to-face sales, since there are only two parties involved and no paperwork, it's impossible to arrive at a number. That 40% number they're throwing out is a WAG.

Gatoragn 07-26-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
So then there are some gun show "loop holes" ? This is what im after...not to prove them right, but to seek out where they're manipulating their information to arrive at that magic number of 40%.

Essentially what they're doing is making it sound like every last gun sold in that 40% is sold to a criminal - guilty until proven innocent...

Now, forgive me if this makes me seem stupid for now knowing the answer...but I thought all firearms sold by a dealer had to have the proper paperwork? Every gun i've ever purchased - online, at a shop, or a pawn shop, i've had to fill out the background check and go through the waiting period...so...where are they getting their information that says people are buying guns w/ no background checks from established gun dealers?

In many states it is legal to buy a gun from an individual, non-FFL holder, with no paperwork. A bill of sale is a good idea, but not legally required in such "face to face" transactions. These exchanges occur routinely at gun shows here in WI.

Licensed dealers have to run the Federal, and state where required, background checks, even at gun shows. In WI the 48 hour waiting period must be adhered to as well. Failure to follow rules on ALL transactions will cost a dealer their FFL.

KeysKelly 07-26-2012 11:36 AM

I'm sure they have some crazy disclaimer in there saying something like "Data taken in a poll of 500 Democrats". It's kind of like when you see a sign in a restaurant "Voted The Best Pizza in Florida". Voted by who? Did they ask all the employees of the restaurant to vote? Maybe they checked with 500 prison inmates convicted of a gun related crime and asked them if they bought their gun legally through a dealer or in an alley on the street and 40% of them admitted to buying it illegally in trade for a reduced sentence. This is the internet days. I can find data on line saying Rock Hudson was straight, Hitler is alive and Obama is American if I look hard enough.

NativH 07-26-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeysKelly (Post 882387)
I can find data on line saying ...........Obama is American if I look hard enough.

Says who????????????????