Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bowling For Columbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Bowling For Columbine

I had searched to see if this movie had been discussed on here before, but I couldn't find anything on it. Also, I wasn't sure what topic to put it under, so I decided this was the best place. I'm sorry if I messed up on either one of those.

Basically here's what I wanted to discuss: What are your opinions on the documentary "Bowling For Columbine" (2002). Plain and simple. Your likes, your dislikes, your comments, or anything else pertaining to the movie. Michael Moore is fair game, BUT keep the comments of him and opinions of him based on the movie, please! I understand that many of you strongly dislike him (as an understatement), but I would really like to have an actual discussion instead of it being a verbal beating. And the last thing I want is for this to turn into a pi$$ing contest. So I BEG you: help keep this as an actual discussion

I'll start off:
I think overall the documentary is a really great film. I feel like it really made you think about not only your views, but the views of people around you. It also made me want to learn way more than what the documentary offered. I read up on the actual columbine incident, I learned more about influences that people learn from, and I learned to really question somebody before you believe everything they say. I did not like how Moore showed up at Heston's house and basically accused him supporting murder. I felt that was incredibly wrong on not only a professional level, but very much so on a moral level. I'll gladly go more in depth with parts of the film (comments permitting)

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Propaganda, pure and simple. He edited the footage of the speeches, tricked and ambushed Charlton Heston (one of the most honorable men who ever lived), and lied about everything else.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

First of all in my opinion Michael More is a piece of S___! And as about as detrimental to the true American Society as they come!
Columbine was a very unfortunate incident. We learned a lot from it at one He-- of an expense. As a 16+ year SWAT Officer retired. It is amazing how the warning signs for these incidents shine like a silver dollar. But in my opinion because of our liberal civil rights attorneys in our society. Our school officials pretty much have their hands tied. Lest they violate little Johny and his family's rights. God forbid! In my opinion people like the ACLU may be a benefit in very limited cases however are for the biggest part contributing to the ruination of our country. And we say little Johny's family had no clue in like the Columbine incident? I think not! Lets refer to it as a lack of responsibility on the parents part. Even some of these families lock their doors to the bedroom at night for fear of little Johny. No one can not convince me that they never saw any warning signs. We need to get America back to the what it was intended and get the attorneys out of running America. I am not saying all attorneys are bad at all since I have three in my family. But lets look at who is in the administration of our country at present.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #4

M14sRock- Can you please provide some of the examples you're talking about? (I'm not saying you're wrong or right, but there was no evidence from the movie to support the claims). And I 100% agree with you on the Charleton Heston part. That was just uncalled for and wrong.

Sniper03- I agree that there were definite warning signs to that tragedy and many others that have happened in our schools and such. I have to be honest, I'm not sure where the attorneys come into this all that much though :?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Herr Goebels would have been proud of it as a bit of propaganda. The movie is a mass distortion of facts- selective editing, sentence fragments taken out of context.

The two perps had brought along an improvised explosive device, made of a propane tank, which, thank God, failed to function. Their intent was to create a BLEVE- which would have destroyed a fair portion of the building. I do not see Moore confronting the local propane dealer as a mass murderer.

It is not possible for me to separate the movie from my opinion of Moore- it is his handicraft, and represents his world view.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
M14sRock- Can you please provide some of the examples you're talking about? (I'm not saying you're wrong or right, but there was no evidence from the movie to support the claims). And I 100% agree with you on the Charleton Heston part. That was just uncalled for and wrong.

Sniper03- I agree that there were definite warning signs to that tragedy and many others that have happened in our schools and such. I have to be honest, I'm not sure where the attorneys come into this all that much though :?
Look at the speech (I forget now who it was) and watch the necktie. It changes during the speech. That is because it was edited.

The whole film is dishonest propaganda, done by a scumbag who will stoop to any level to further his agenda.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #7

c3- I have to admit I havn't seen the entire footage of any of the speeches that were showed in the film, but can you give some examples of how things were taken out of context? Also, Yes it most certainly does represent his own world view, but he does certainly go far enough to say that it is the person behind the gun, and not just the the gun itself that makes it a deadly weapon. I had a nice laugh about the propane part I had never thought of that, and now that you have me thinking about it, I'm a little surprised he didn't. Good call. I also keep picturing Hank Hill and Michael Moore having a conversation. Now that'd be HILARIOUS!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Look at the speech (I forget now who it was) and watch the necktie. It changes during the speech. That is because it was edited.

The whole film is dishonest propaganda, done by a scumbag who will stoop to any level to further his agenda.
Do you know which speech? I never noticed that. If I don't know which speech, I don't know exactly what we're talking about.

As a side note to everybody, I'm not trying to act like a know it all about the movie, Michael Moore, and certainly not about guns. I'm trying to get more than just my own point of view, but like I said earlier, I'm not just going to believe everything you say, I'm looking for facts and evidence. Because this is an opinionated question, nobody is correct or incorrect.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
c3- I have to admit I havn't seen the entire footage of any of the speeches that were showed in the film, but can you give some examples of how things were taken out of context? Also, Yes it most certainly does represent his own world view, but he does certainly go far enough to say that it is the person behind the gun, and not just the the gun itself that makes it a deadly weapon. I had a nice laugh about the propane part I had never thought of that, and now that you have me thinking about it, I'm a little surprised he didn't. Good call. I also keep picturing Hank Hill and Michael Moore having a conversation. Now that'd be HILARIOUS!
He did not care about the propane because he is all about taking guns away from citizens.

Join the NRA and watch their file videos. They then show the way those speeches were edited for B4C. Disgusting.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #10

M14- I'm sorry, but I'm not joining the NRA. I would still like to see the videos for myself though. Do you know where those resources can be found? While Moore's agenda seems a little less drastic than that to me, I still don't doubt that he isn't for fully auto weapons and those types of things. I still feel like if you take the movie with a grain or two of salt, in some parts, you can learn some new things, or at least find something you would like to learn more about. You know what I'm saying?