Bookfarce bans private firearn sales and restricts <18's from talking about Guns
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Bookfarce bans private firearn sales and restricts <18's from talking about Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8244 Times on 4247 Posts
Likes Given: 9491

Default Bookfarce bans private firearn sales and restricts <18's from talking about Guns

Book farce is limiting Firearm discussions on its "Public Forum". No private sales, minors cant discuss or see discussions about firearms and bans will be handed down (who knows what else)!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/under-pressure-facebook-announces-major-gun-policy-changes/

I dont Bookface ever but this is just another reason to never do it and erase your account if you do. They own the conversations and ban bad things as they see them. Thats not a principle of our 1a or 2a or any of the BOR's. They own it, let them die with it.

Delete your account or your supporting something that plays right into "For Our Own Good' restrictions we fought and died for!

Just sayin...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

This is more about punishing the gun for the crime, and making anyone associated with guns seem equivalent to criminals. Until we start fighting this gun=criminal thinking, the antis will continue to erode Constitutional freedom.

Webley, I never use FB for anything except contacting family members who won't use email, but one reason not to dump your account is that it is still the largest social media outlet in the world. If we are going to fight this, it should possibly be on that very platform to reach as many people as possible. If we keep hiding in the shadows and not saying anything, we'll be perceived as being wrong or worse yet, criminals. "They knew they were wrong and that's why they're not fighting" I hear the antis ruminating now.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 03-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
This is more about punishing the gun for the crime, and making anyone associated with guns seem equivalent to criminals. Until we start fighting this gun=criminal thinking, the antis will continue to erode Constitutional freedom.

Webley, I'm never use FB for anything except contacting family members who won't use email, but one reason not to dump your account is that it is still the largest social media outlet in the world. If we are going to fight this, it should possibly be on that very platform to reach as many people as possible. If we keep hiding in the shadows and not saying anything, we'll be perceived as being wrong or worse yet, criminals. "They knew they were wrong and that's why they're not fighting" I hear the antis ruminating now.
Im not even that concerned that you cant do a private sale there, Kids cant talk about guns? That bothers me bigtime. So unless their parents train them, they will be limited to what they can learn in school or the streets. A 17 year old isnt a kid, they can join the military, fly planes, drive trucks and operate heavy equipment but they cant talk about guns on bookface.

The DNC is the largest political party in the USA but I wont be any part of them either. I understand your not a big bookfacer but your a statistic they use to validate their policies so finding another way to chat would probably serve you and the 1A/ 2A cause in the end. I know, get them all to join FTF, its cheap and pretty open to open minds!
People Like This 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1164

FB was started by a bunch of Harvard liberals so what do you expect?

It has--according to that other bastion of liberal revisionism, Wikipedia--more then a billion users, 9% of whom are fake. Now I don't know about you, but I don't abide pulling my pants down in front of that big a crowd. The more you post on social media the more you compromise your PERSEC.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #5

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Fight back by posting pictures of kids with the results of their fishing and hunting adventures. Post pictures of the kids and their targets from range sessions.

I moved away from family and friends in 1990, I missed my nieces growing up. Facebook allows me to have a bit of connection to great nieces and nephews.
sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9470 Times on 5113 Posts
Likes Given: 19643

[In a press release describing the changes, Monika Bickert, Facebook's head of global policy management said the company "will not permit people to post offers to sell regulated items that indicate a willingness to evade or help others evade the law. For example, private sellers of firearms in the U.S. will not be permitted to specify 'no background check required,' nor can they offer to transact across state lines without a licensed firearms dealer."]

They did not impose age restrictions on firearm discussions, only those relating to sales. And they did not prohibit sales, they are requiring users to obey existing law regarding interstate transfers. The bit about "no background check" is to limit liability. Remember when Soldier of Fortune stopped printing classified ads for "contractors?"
People Like This 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Im not even that concerned that you cant do a private sale there, Kids cant talk about guns? That bothers me bigtime. So unless their parents train them, they will be limited to what they can learn in school or the streets. A 17 year old isnt a kid, they can join the military, fly planes, drive trucks and operate heavy equipment but they cant talk about guns on bookface.

The DNC is the largest political party in the USA but I wont be any part of them either. I understand your not a big bookfacer but your a statistic they use to validate their policies so finding another way to chat would probably serve you and the 1A/ 2A cause in the end. I know, get them all to join FTF, its cheap and pretty open to open minds!
You're absolutely right, FB is NOT the place for sales of firearms to occur. But not allowing guns and shooting sports as a topic of discussion is violating the First Amendment! Besides, it's a natural progression to talking about hunting/target shooting/plinking and have someone mention they want to get rid of a firearm. That's all that was happening on FB - I doubt there were pages with price lists.

And what's really irritating is that anyone over the age of 12 can have Internet access and enter "teenage" forums where they discuss drugs, sex and gang (criminal) issues, but now they can't discuss something as evil as...(gasp)...GUNS!

I like the getting everyone to join FTF idea! However, if you completely dump FB, how do you then attract the Regular Joe, who does not visit gun forums, to our cause? Or place before them the reasonableness of our cause? True, there are smaller social media outlets that could be used, but FB is the largest by far.

Does anyone have an actual suggestion of a current social media site that would effectively reach a large (hundreds of millions?) section of the population? Understand I'm thinking economy of scale, here - instead of posting to hundreds of other smaller sites, and trying to manage PMs and postings, is it not better to centralize on the largest accumulation of people?

Trust me, I am not a fan of FB (I love the "Farce Book" reference!), but when growing a business or a cause, it's easiest if you target the biggest possible audience. I am honestly searching for other reasonable alternatives.

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
[In a press release describing the changes, Monika Bickert, Facebook's head of global policy management said the company "will not permit people to post offers to sell regulated items that indicate a willingness to evade or help others evade the law. For example, private sellers of firearms in the U.S. will not be permitted to specify 'no background check required,' nor can they offer to transact across state lines without a licensed firearms dealer."]

They did not impose age restrictions on firearm discussions, only those relating to sales. And they did not prohibit sales, they are requiring users to obey existing law regarding interstate transfers. The bit about "no background check" is to limit liability. Remember when Soldier of Fortune stopped printing classified ads for "contractors?"
On firearms talk we do not allow posts on skirting state or federal law.... try it, we catch you, it earns disciplinary action.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:

This statement just sounds like they are enforcing already existing laws, which they should've been doing in the first place. So is this effectively just restating policy and TOS agreements?

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

I get what your saying but I come from a slippery slope state, NY. A state that has moved from one of the largest firearm ownership and manufacturing states firearm owners and dealers right out of the state with the safe act.

When free speech becomes a liability, were all in big trouble. The day I cant pick up a couple boxes of shotgun shells for a friend, sell a rifle to a neighbor without an FFL involved or own an unlicensed weapon because it holds lots of bullets and has other "Military Features" has come.

I wonder if Facebook will allow discussions about constitutionally protected responses to tyranny by our own government?
People Like This