Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes, the government is made up of the people and should work for the people. The Federal gov't is limited on what it can and can't regulate by the constitution, however, the states can create their own laws that regulate on top of the federal gov't laws as long as they don't infringe on the bare minimum standards the fed. gov't sets. Historically, the US Supreme court decides the minimum standards through court cases. Yes it is within the state government's power to make people buy a gun after they turn 21 just the same as they make you buy car insurance to drive. However, I don't agree with it.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The argument is about incorporation. If you take that stance it would also support the belief that states can regulate 2A as they see fit including a total ban.
I didn't explain myself fully. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid20 View Post
Yes it is within the state government's power to make people buy a gun after they turn 21 just the same as they make you buy car insurance to drive. However, I don't agree with it.
They are not mandating that everyone have vehicle insurance, just those who choose to buy vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
I didn't explain myself fully. Thanks for the help.
Sorry I should have asked that more in the form of a question, I was wondering if you believe the states had the right to restrict arms more than the federal government. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or condescending.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #14

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Sorry I should have asked that more in the form of a question, I was wondering if you believe the states had the right to restrict arms more than the federal government. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or condescending.
No worries, I didn't take it that way at all.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #15

Sounds like the two people in South Dakota that don't own a gun might have to go buy one.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'm 100% against this. Tyranny in any form is still tyranny.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The government can make me buy a gun after they pry the one (or two) I already own from my cold dead hands. What if they say you have to buy a Glock?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #18

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Perhaps if the government offered to GIVE you one...but that's neither here nor there.

I agree with the general sentiment. Its not right to make the people buy anything. If they really wanted every single person who can own a gun owning a gun then they should consider making it more favorable. 50% tax deductible for example. Pay for basic firearms training as a tax deduction as well.

I could go on and on but what the government doesn't understand is that you will get more bee's with honey than vinegar.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think the government believes (with some reason) that you get more bees with parathion than either honey or vinegar.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 402 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 602

It is within the authority of the states to form and regulate a militia. If SD decides to require every able bodied man 21 years or older who is free of a criminal record to hold arms for the defense of himself and the state of SD, they are constitutionally authorized to do so under the 10th amendment and the 2nd. There may be other language, I don't have a constitution in front of me.
Unlike the fed who requires every man 18 years of age to register with selective service or the new obummercare legislation. those powers are not granted to the fed gubmint even under the emergency powers or the war powers clauses. Suck it D.C.