Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Default Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

FYI! Interesting; but, the bill might never leave committee!

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”

The bill, which would take effect Jan. 1, 2012, would give people six months to acquire a firearm after turning 21. The provision does not apply to people who are barred from owning a firearm.

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun | The Argus Leader | argusleader.com

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 02-01-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds like the nifty town of Kennesaw, GA...

Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2826 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 292

I like the sentiment...but, aren't we trying to get the govt to not be able to force us to buy Health coverage. Making Firearms manditory, same concept, different product.
1. I don't want the govt telling me I HAVE to buy something.
2. Let's face it, there are some people that just shouldn't own firearms, even if they are legal.
3. Is it really enforceable?
4. What problem is it the solution for?

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Might have to consider moving to South Dakota

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I like the sentiment...but, aren't we trying to get the govt to not be able to force us to buy Health coverage. Making Firearms manditory, same concept, different product.
1. I don't want the govt telling me I HAVE to buy something.
2. Let's face it, there are some people that just shouldn't own firearms, even if they are legal.
3. Is it really enforceable?
4. What problem is it the solution for?
I agree the government has no business telling me that I have to buy a gun just the same as it has no business telling me I have to buy healthcare insurance.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcoolguy View Post
I agree the government has no business telling me that I have to buy a gun just the same as it has no business telling me I have to buy healthcare insurance.
The difference between this and the healthcare bill is that it is not within the federal government's power to mandate healthcare but it is within the state's power to mandate what it wants.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
The difference between this and the healthcare bill is that it is not within the federal government's power to mandate healthcare but it is within the state's power to mandate what it wants.
In the USA government isn't some stone structure it's the people and that's true from the federal all the way down to the county/township level. The State is subservant to it's populace not the other way around. The people aren't serfs they are the government to make it opposite of that reduces people to the subjugated.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
The argument is about incorporation. If you take that stance it would also support the belief that states can regulate 2A as they see fit including a total ban.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcoolguy View Post
In the USA government isn't some stone structure it's the people and that's true from the federal all the way down to the county/township level. The State is subservant to it's populace not the other way around. The people aren't serfs they are the government to make it opposite of that reduces people to the subjugated.
I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that the Constitution does not allow the federal government to do things that the states are able to do. That is why the healthcare bill is unconstitutional as a federal mandate but can be imposed on citizens, if they tolerate it, at the state level, like the one in Massachusetts.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that the Constitution does not allow the federal government to do things that the states are able to do. That is why the healthcare bill is unconstitutional as a federal mandate but can be imposed on citizens, if they tolerate it, at the state level, like the one in Massachusetts.
Okay, sorry just misunderstood you slightly...