The Big List of Who Hates Guns - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The Big List of Who Hates Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2839 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 1857

fair enough. i get that the band has changed, but still hard to defend the lyrics as they were written, if you support gun rights.

2 simple questions: 1) would YOU have been in a band that wrote lyrics like "saturday night special?" damn hard to play a song over and over and say "man, i disagree with this!" 2) would you give elton john or cat stephens "a pass" for writing the same lyrics?

if you're point is the band that wrote "saturday night special" doesn't exist any more....fair enough.

BUT...that doesn't change the fact that the band that DID write "saturday night special" obviously had some anti-gun sentiments....capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarChasm View Post
Did you listen to the song I posted the link to? Maybe that was one of the guys standing up and saying, "waitaminute!"

Ted Nugent once wrote a song called "My Big 10 Inch." Not every song is a true story, nor does every song represent the songwriter's personal thoughts or experiences.

If the guys were anti-gun, don't you think that song would be the theme-song of the Brady Bunch, or Moms Demand Action, or any number of other specifically gun-control organizations? How many requests to use that song do you think the copyright holder(s) have turned down because it is not indicative of his/their personal position(s)?

By the way, neither of the writers of that song are still in the band. Ronnie Van Zandt is deceased and Ed King hasn't been a member since 1996. Like I said, the band has changed. "...if these guys were conservative/gun rights supporters..." can be answered by searching for interviews on YouTube of Gary Rossington or Rickey Medlocke, both current members, and Gary is the sole surviving original member. They are decidedly not anti-gun and are outspoken conservatives. There ain't no "ifs" about it!

Here's a hint: Dickey Betts was not born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rollin' down Hwy. 41. Capiche?

CzarChasm

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #82

Liked 56 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
fair enough. i get that the band has changed, but still hard to defend the lyrics as they were written, if you support gun rights.
If no one was making a stink about 40 year old lyrics written by a dead man whom we can't ask anymore what they really meant to him, no one would have to defend the band from the scurilous accusation that they're anti-gun today.

Quote:
2 simple questions: 1) would YOU have been in a band that wrote lyrics like "saturday night special?" damn hard to play a song over and over and say "man, i disagree with this!"
Man, is this a serious question? Would I, if qualified to play alongside Ricky Medlocke and Gary Rossington, take the gig if it was offered to me? You're damn skippy I would! And I'd buy a thousand guns just from the first concert to celebrate!

Are you kidding me with that question?

Quote:
2) would you give elton john or cat stephens "a pass" for writing the same lyrics?
Elton John never wrote a lyric in his life. Bernie Taupin is the lyricist in that partnership, Elton's the singer/pianist/composer.

I'd get banned for saying the only things I have to say about Cat Stevens, but seriously, "give a pass" for song lyrics written 40 years ago? Hell, I don't give Nugent "a pass" for writing "Big 10 Inch" or "Wangdang Sweet Poontang!" I haven't let Paul Anka off the hook yet for:
"Having my baby;
what a lovely way of saying
that you're thinking of me ..."
But the thread isn't "The Big List of Most Hated Lyrics", it's, "The Big List of Who Hates Guns", and I'm here to tell ya that today's Lynyrd Skynyrd does not belong on that list!

Quote:
if you're point is the band that wrote "saturday night special" doesn't exist any more....fair enough.

BUT...that doesn't change the fact that the band that DID write "saturday night special" obviously had some anti-gun sentiments....capiche?
No, I don't capiche. I responded to a post of yours that said, "add LYNYRD SKYNRD to the list" in a thread titled "The Big List of Who Hates Guns". As a band, they don't hate guns, and as individuals some of them are very conservative and one or two are kinda moderate, just like I said in reply to what you said. Lyrics to one song written 40 years ago by a dead man have zero bearing on that fact today, so you should retract "adding them to the list" in this thread if you care about being fair to people you have already slandered!

Jeesh, I tried to give you something to chew on about someone who really is anti-gun, but you think you got today's Skynyrd pegged from 40-year-old lyrics, and you just won't let go. I don't capiche at all.

CzarChasm
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to Police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Last edited by CzarChasm; 07-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
WNGMSTR Likes This 
Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #83

Liked 242 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Speaking of dead men who write stupid songs called " Saturday Night Special ", I remember one by Conway Twitty . I called up a radio station to request that they stop playing it and got a snotty response from the wench who answered . Lyrics below :

"Well I was there to buy a pistol, she was there to hawk her ring
The broker in that pawn shop deals in almost anything
He'll pay you for your misery or he'll sell you someone's pain
And that twinkle in his greedy eye says your loss will be his gain

She stood back in the shadows as the broker dealt with me
Her eyes were dark and desperate from some private misery
His words were so prophetic when he said, "You've got a steal"
I said, "Throw in one bullet and you've got yourself a deal"

Oh, Saturday Night Special is an easy thing to buy
All you gotta be is twenty-one or fifteen if you lie
Just hand the man the money and if someone's gotta die
The broker in the pawnshop won't even blink an eye

Well, he handed my the pistol and I was almost to the door
When I heard him tell the lady, "Seven dollars, nothin' more"
The lady started cryin' as he took her weddin' band
My hand was in my pocket and the gun was in my hand

Well, I was gonna use that bullet to end my life
I was once somebody's husband, she was once somebody's wife
Well, I usually mind my business but I could not walk away
His dollars just weren't makin' sense and I knew I had to stay

Well, the broker's face turned pasty when he caught my icy stare
It would never leave my pocket but he knew the gun was there
I asked him what his life was worth and he opened up that drawer
For a simple golden wedding band he paid two thousand more

That Saturday night was special even though it wasn't planned
As we walked down the sidewalk, she reached and took my hand
We crossed the bridge and I took that gun and sailed it through the air
I said, "Ever been to Texas"? She said, "I think I'd love it there"

Oh, Saturday Night Special is an easy thing to buy
All you gotta be is twenty-one or fifteen if you lie
But there's a pawn shop in the city, used to deal in everything, huh
But you can't buy a pistol there, you can't hawk your weddin' ring ".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songwriters
VAN ZANT, RONNIE / KING, EDWARD C.

Read more: Conway Twitty - Saturday Night Special Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 AM   #84
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1877 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 3878

My wife is pro-2nd Amendment; but, her firearm taste is the wheel gun (Revolver) only.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Speaking of dead men who write stupid songs called " Saturday Night Special ", I remember one by Conway Twitty . I called up a radio station to request that they stop playing it and got a snotty response from the wench who answered . Lyrics below :

"Well I was there to buy a pistol, she was there to hawk her ring....

<snip>

Songwriters
VAN ZANT, RONNIE / KING, EDWARD C.

Read more: Conway Twitty - Saturday Night Special Lyrics | MetroLyrics
I did "read more" at MetroLyrics and it doesn't say Van Zant and King are that song's writers. In fact, Conway Twitty wasn't either according to the sheet music credits:

1987 is fully 10 years after Ronnie Van Zant died.

Maybe this will settle this seeming vendetta against a band that decidedly does not deserve to be called "anti-gun" once and for all:

Quote:
Some longtime fans of the band have expressed disappointment in their outright conservatism and pro-Republican stance. Although the current lineup made it clear at the time of God And Guns that they were anti-gun control and "pro-Second Amendment," the late singer Ronnie Van Zant seemed to have a different attitude when he wrote the seemingly pro-gun control "Saturday Night Special" in 1974. Some have postulated that that Van Zant was even a liberal, though what his political beliefs would be like 35 years after his death is hard for anybody on either side to argue.
"Dumb lyrics" I'll buy. "add LYNYRD SKYNRD to..." ..."The Big List of Who Hates Guns" is untrue and unfair and should be corrected or this part of the thread deleted forthwith. If somebody said that about me, I'd consider it slander.

CzarChasm
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to Police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.
WNGMSTR Likes This 
Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #86

Liked 242 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ookay.....Maybe it would be a good idea to contact Lynyrd Skynrd via email, snail mail ( or whatever is in vogue these days ) and ask them what they are doing to fight against 'gun control' these days . Tell them they owe us one .
The band's name was sullied as was Conway Twitty's and the public will associate it with a pitch for gun laws unless someone sprouts a pair and speaks out to correct that impression .

Zero tolerance on 'gun control ' !!!!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #87

Quote:
Ookay.....Maybe it would be a good idea to contact Lynyrd Skynrd via email, snail mail ( or whatever is in vogue these days ) and ask them what they are doing to fight against 'gun control' these days . Tell them they owe us one .
The band's name was sullied as was Conway Twitty's and the public will associate it with a pitch for gun laws unless someone sprouts a pair and speaks out to correct that impression .
The only ones seeming to be "missing a pair" are those who refuse to admit to a mistake and retract or apologize for a slander.

Quote:
I think what you meant to say is, Zero tolerance for dumb song lyrics!!!!!

A song by the band Lynyrd Skynyrd never caused a single paragraph, sentence, word or punctuation mark on a piece of gun control legislation. Song lyrics are not "gun control." Musicians are not politicians simply by virtue of writing songs about topics with which their listeners will be familiar.

But anyway, no one has to write an email or snail mail to get them on record about guns or gun control. They've been the #1 headline attraction at the Hannity-sponsored "Freedom Concerts" since 2009. There are many interviews out there between Rossington, Medlocke and Johnny Van Zant, and not one single word of "gun-control-speak" can be culled from any of 'em, but pro-gun, pro-2nd-Amendment-speak can:

Quote:
Lynyrd Skynyrd Members Talk 'God and Guns' with Hannity on FNC

Medlocke: And the guns is, is really our freedom of choice. Like you said, the Second Amendment. But we should be able to do what the Second Amendment says. And we should be able to have the right to own and protect our own in our home because if somebody breaks in your home at 3:45 in the morning, they're not there to have coffee with you. That's for sure.

Rossington: Well, it’s just like you said, we believe in the Second Amendment, and we believe in God. I thank every day that I'm still here. And we just, you know, the song speaks for itself. But people hear the song, they'll know what we're saying.

VAN ZANT: We have a lot of friends who are hunters. And you know what? Come hunting season, man, they head to the woods, you know. And again, this country was built on God and guns, folks. I mean, it really was.
Look guys, I'm all for outing anti-gunners, but this is just stupid being based solely on one song's lyrics from 40 years ago that was written by a dead man who can't be asked to clarify if, or to what extent, those lyrics really represented his own views. Clearly though, they don't represent the views of today's Lynyrd Skynyrd, and therefore they should be taken off the list that they were illegitimately and ignorantly put on.

And no, I'm not a LS "groupie." Not even that big a fan. I'm just a guy who seeks the truth when people I know a thing or two about are painted unfairly as something I know they're not.

CzarChasm

Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #88
Troll Scout
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1010 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 571

Quote:
You want to run a test on "ZERO TOLERANCE"?

Open a thread for or against open carry and take a measure.....

The recent release from Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of the most Patriotic pro American, pro Freedom collection sounded in the last decade.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNGMSTR View Post
You want to run a test on "ZERO TOLERANCE"?

Open a thread for or against open carry and take a measure.....

The recent release from Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of the most Patriotic pro American, pro Freedom collection sounded in the last decade.
how about a thread....

"do you ever disagree with me?"

and pronounce them anti-gun if they poll "yes!"

I AM KIDDING, friend!

really, i'm j/k.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #90

sigh...i will AGAIN recognize lynyrd skynrd is NOT the same band it was. i completely get your point. so...LS TODAY has not performed songs with anti-gun messages as far as i know. in fact, i agree that is seems lynyrd skynrd OF TODAY is a pro-gun band.

NOW....i will simply re-submit a portion of the lyrics form LYNYRD SKYNRD's saturday night special. a song the ORIGINAL band performed, played and recorded, but according to you...did not support the message at all at the time?

anyone reading these lyrics can choose for themselves to interpret it as they please. i will not make any statement again that this band hated guns, y'all can decide based on the lyrics:

"Saturday Night Special"
[Chorus]
Its a Saturday night special
Got a barrel that's blue and cold
Ain't no good for nothin'
But put a man six feet in a hole

[Chorus]

Hand guns are made for killin'
Ain't no good for nothin' else
And if you like your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarChasm View Post
If no one was making a stink about 40 year old lyrics written by a dead man whom we can't ask anymore what they really meant to him, no one would have to defend the band from the scurilous accusation that they're anti-gun today.

Man, is this a serious question? Would I, if qualified to play alongside Ricky Medlocke and Gary Rossington, take the gig if it was offered to me? You're damn skippy I would! And I'd buy a thousand guns just from the first concert to celebrate!

Are you kidding me with that question?

Elton John never wrote a lyric in his life. Bernie Taupin is the lyricist in that partnership, Elton's the singer/pianist/composer.

I'd get banned for saying the only things I have to say about Cat Stevens, but seriously, "give a pass" for song lyrics written 40 years ago? Hell, I don't give Nugent "a pass" for writing "Big 10 Inch" or "Wangdang Sweet Poontang!" I haven't let Paul Anka off the hook yet for:
"Having my baby;
what a lovely way of saying
that you're thinking of me ..."
But the thread isn't "The Big List of Most Hated Lyrics", it's, "The Big List of Who Hates Guns", and I'm here to tell ya that today's Lynyrd Skynyrd does not belong on that list!

No, I don't capiche. I responded to a post of yours that said, "add LYNYRD SKYNRD to the list" in a thread titled "The Big List of Who Hates Guns". As a band, they don't hate guns, and as individuals some of them are very conservative and one or two are kinda moderate, just like I said in reply to what you said. Lyrics to one song written 40 years ago by a dead man have zero bearing on that fact today, so you should retract "adding them to the list" in this thread if you care about being fair to people you have already slandered!

Jeesh, I tried to give you something to chew on about someone who really is anti-gun, but you think you got today's Skynyrd pegged from 40-year-old lyrics, and you just won't let go. I don't capiche at all.

CzarChasm

Last edited by hawkguy; 07-11-2014 at 10:06 PM.