In between a ban, and nothing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > In between a ban, and nothing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 984 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default In between a ban, and nothing

I have no doubt that everyone here thinks that banning guns or certain guns won't solve out current issues with all these people getting shot. But part of me says SOMETHING should b done. There is an article on Newser this morning that says we should have a national registry on guns AND ammo. No ban or restrictions on anything we can currently have. I say this is a very slippery slope to the govt. banning and/or collecting any and all guns & ammo.

How about something in between? I never hear anyone talk about the crazy people. When I buy a gun, there is nothing in the form, or on the background check about whether I'm crazy, been institutionalized, have a mental health background issue, or anything. (This is to the best of my knowledge.) Why? Would that be so hard to add that in to the paperwork and BG check? That would be basically the same as them checking you for felonies; if you're not supposed to have one anyway, oh well......tough. That way, the rest of us with no issues would not have our privacy infringed upon.

This is actually the basis, (I think), of my wife's anti-gun stance. Someone she knew with some apparent mental issues legally bought a gun and killed herself. Now, this would probably not solve the problem, or weed out every mentally unstable person, but it might be a good start.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are parts on the form that deal with mental health

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

simple answer, protect our precious children as well as we protect our Senators! No use in shirking our responsibility to them by passing meaningless legislation that doesn't prevent crime at all.

You cant possibly believe that limiting 100% of legal and reasonable Firearms Owners Present and Future will prevent anything except free enterprise. On the other hand, any Ban of any type will raise the values of any existing weapons that pass the grandfather clause or get smuggled in by Organized Crime and other Parasites that cant and wont read or follow laws written on paper.

Any proposition that doesnt expand/ make use of and take advantage of the purposefulness of a growing interest in responsible firearms ownership to protect our children and our futures is just hogwash and meaningless BS. We are the front line defenders against sick bastards intent in evil destruction, not the cops that are 15 minutes at best from any call to "911"...

Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I have no doubt that everyone here thinks that banning guns or certain guns won't solve out current issues with all these people getting shot. But part of me says SOMETHING should b done. There is an article on Newser this morning that says we should have a national registry on guns AND ammo. No ban or restrictions on anything we can currently have. I say this is a very slippery slope to the govt. banning and/or collecting any and all guns & ammo.

How about something in between? I never hear anyone talk about the crazy people. When I buy a gun, there is nothing in the form, or on the background check about whether I'm crazy, been institutionalized, have a mental health background issue, or anything. (This is to the best of my knowledge.) Why? Would that be so hard to add that in to the paperwork and BG check? That would be basically the same as them checking you for felonies; if you're not supposed to have one anyway, oh well......tough. That way, the rest of us with no issues would not have our privacy infringed upon.

This is actually the basis, (I think), of my wife's anti-gun stance. Someone she knew with some apparent mental issues legally bought a gun and killed herself. Now, this would probably not solve the problem, or weed out every mentally unstable person, but it might be a good start.
You obviously aren't reading the form that you fill-out to buya firearm or it has been so long since you bought a gun that you don't remember. It is the 3rd or 4th question down about whether you've been institutionalized in the past 5 years. It is right near the question about illegal drug use.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8853 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

First- you REALLY need to go read that form 4473 you signed. It DOES ask if you have been adjudged mentally incompetent. And if you have, THAT information was supposed to have been placed in the record system, and an Insta-Check inquiry would have resulted in a DENIED response.

Second- a registry. To what end? 93% of criminal acts with a firearm are performed by people that ALREADY cannot legally own a firearm. This is sort of like saying "We have a problem with people driving on a revoked license. So we want all of you to register your cars." One group has nothing to do with the other.

Third- registries have this nasty habit of becoming a means of confiscation of firearms. Why, no- we don't want to confiscate your firearms- we just want to know where they are." Tell THAT to the folks in CA that had their legal, registered semi autos BANNED by the state.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Be careful what you wish for. You'd be surprised how easy it is for someone to become mentally ill. You may think you're immune to mental illness, but I'll tell you right now - you're not.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I am more than happy to support any gun control measures that will reduce crime.

Unfortunately, most gun control has the reverse effect. Disarming law abiding citizens seems to not deter criminals.

The laws we have work as well as they can. I support background checks for FFL transactions, I support forcing felons to not legally owning firearms, I support making people take a basic course if they want to carry, etc.

Some laws are pointless, not going to cover those.

"Compromise" is not something I'm against. However, why compromise on the current proposals that would do NOTHING to have stopped any of the recent spree killers.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

You're missing the point completely!!!!

Newton- guns aquired illegally!
Columbine- same thing!
This moron who shot the firemen, same thing!
These ghetto fabulous gang bangers, same thing!

The vast majority of gun crime is by weapons aquired Illegally.
The morons in charge know this, and know they can keep guns out of their hands just as easy as they can keep them from getting pot, or crack.
They can't.

They do not care one lick. They want to attack at the 2A until its eroded and gone.

Do yourself a favor. Go to all the liberal forums you can today, and read the gun threads.
They openly view gun owners as nuts, the NRA as nuts. They hate firearms in the hands of lawful gun owners, because in their eyes, gun owners are redneck, right wing, God fearing, homosexual hating, racist bigots.
They want you disarmed because every gun owner to them is the thing in their mind they hate most.
Seriously, go to some liberal forums and read. This is not about solving gun violence at all, it's about a group they hate and despise with every breath they take.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #9

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
This is not about solving gun violence at all, it's about a group they hate and despise with every breath they take.
What is really disgusting is that whenever the NRA suggests gun free zones contribute to these killings they are accused of using the deaths of innocents to further their agenda.

I'm watching gun control advocates practically dancing on the graves of these children to push their agenda and they get a free pass.

I'm thoroughly disgusted at how they are capitalizing on this crisis to introduce legislation that would have no effect except to erode our rights. Somehow this is ok because it is "for the children".

Introduce something that will actually protect my kids and I'll support it. Otherwise they can take a long walk off a short pier.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1588 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
What is really disgusting is that whenever the NRA suggests gun free zones contribute to these killings they are accused of using the deaths of innocents to further their agenda.

I'm watching gun control advocates practically dancing on the graves of these children to push their agenda and they get a free pass.

I'm thoroughly disgusted at how they are capitalizing on this crisis to introduce legislation that would have no effect except to erode our rights. Somehow this is ok because it is "for the children".

Introduce something that will actually protect my kids and I'll support it. Otherwise they can take a long walk off a short pier.
The media doesn't get a free ride. Gun controversy gives them a distraction from the real issues. Not to mention most of the media moguls have an anti gun agenda. The media is just being loyal to it's best customer, the political machine.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Newest Threads