Better off with no gun ? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Better off with no gun ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2783 Times on 1808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have gone utterly berserk a few times over the past 30 or 40 years, every time I was armed with a knife and/or a gun or they were very close at hand and not once have I used them.

The last fight I was in lasted 20 or 30 yards. I dropped down into a ravine off the side of the road, they caught up to me then and started beating on me, but there were so many of them that I slipped out from under the pile and down the ravine and ran off while they beat the crap out of each other. That was in 1983. I had a knife. I didn't use it.
A bunch of real deep thinkers. Sounds like an episode of looney tunes, you being bugs bunny.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
A bunch of real deep thinkers. Sounds like an episode of looney tunes, you being bugs bunny.
The situation was a bunch of "friends" wanted to know where some marijuana grow sites were and they drove me up into the hills near my home. I got the sh!t kicked out of me and escaped, just like Bugs Bunny.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
The state of affairs in the Nation scares me a bit.

One wrong move, even accidental, and you can become a convicted felon and find yourself in prison for an uncomfortably long time. It REALLY doesn't take much.

I wonder how many people who get a Concealed Carry permit wind up in SERIOUS trouble or in prison because of a moment of indiscretion. You almost have to be a lawyer to avoid trouble. It seems prosecutors and cops are just looking for a reason to nail average otherwise law abiding citizens and label them criminals and felons.

I'm ready for the barrage of "I'd rather be in trouble than in a coffin" replies but really. We've learned that even self defense is no defense. And that criminals seem to have the upper hand often. How common is it where the perp sues the victim and WINS !!

I think the Justice system is out of control. Jail sentences are handed out like candy and often horribly disproportionately. A blue collar crime gets 40 years while a thug with a rap sheet miles long gets off with a hand slap after taking someone's life. Even juries can't always be trusted to return a fair verdict.

In light of all this, it's not really all that common to come across a situation where your life is threatened. I mean, yes, OCCASIONALLY it happens and in those rare circumstances your life can be saved by being armed....but I say it's not that often.
Are you ALWAYS in total control of your emotions? Always?

So is the exposure to the risk of going foul with the law WORTH the risk of having and carrying a gun given the wussified state of this Nation and the readiness of prosecutors to dole out jail time in multiples of 20 years for even the most ridiculous reasons?

Your thoughts could be interesting.

thx
It's becoming a 'damn if you do, damn if you don't' type of existence for most of us. And the approach to such distasteful scenarios are usually met with the full force of some law purposely coughed up in some session unbeknownst to the public. Let's face it. This has become a police state. And criminals are treated better in the judicial process than law-abiding citizens. And it will be that way until something is done. As for me, personally, I don't believe in 'laws' as proven later to be nothing but 'whims.' (i.e.) "You have broken the whim;" or "open up in the name of the whim;" or "you have been sentenced by the whim of the state to 20 years imprisonment for defending yourself." What a pathetic joke!!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #64

Likes Given: 2

You just need to live in the right state, here in TN we have citizens open carrying with some nice leg holsters .. and cops actually encouraging self-defense ...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Maybe a little research into how the 'criminal' gets around the system is in order. I personally don't care about what others think, so I don't get too involved with 'drama situations'. I wonder tho who the defense lawyers are that perpetuate the myth of criminals getting a slap on the wrist. I would love to see a listing of them and the prices they charge. In my own way of musing, maybe the lawyers are part of the money system the criminals are into?
Remember, as taught in my CCW class, WHEN you pull a weapon out, be PREPARED to go to court.
Also, as I have stated in this forum before, there is liability insurance available to help with your costs, but you better be absolutely sure in your mind that what you are doing is right for your circumstance.
I also want you to know that being 'manic depressive' or 'bipolar' doesn't mean you can't control yourself. And the diagnosis may be in error, as Lyme disease will often mimic these traits. I know, I've been diagnosed with the former,(wrongly) only to be found with the latter.
earl

Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

The situation was a bunch of "friends" wanted to know where some marijuana grow sites were and they drove me up into the hills near my home. I got the sh!t kicked out of me and escaped, just like Bugs Bunny.
Sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. I tend to see the humor in things that others don't, and your description of a fight that went 20-30 yards, ending with you crawling out and them still fighting seemed cartoonish. Please accept my apologies.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl1412
Maybe a little research into how the 'criminal' gets around the system is in order. I personally don't care about what others think, so I don't get too involved with 'drama situations'. I wonder tho who the defense lawyers are that perpetuate the myth of criminals getting a slap on the wrist. I would love to see a listing of them and the prices they charge. In my own way of musing, maybe the lawyers are part of the money system the criminals are into?
Remember, as taught in my CCW class, WHEN you pull a weapon out, be PREPARED to go to court.
Also, as I have stated in this forum before, there is liability insurance available to help with your costs, but you better be absolutely sure in your mind that what you are doing is right for your circumstance.
I also want you to know that being 'manic depressive' or 'bipolar' doesn't mean you can't control yourself. And the diagnosis may be in error, as Lyme disease will often mimic these traits. I know, I've been diagnosed with the former,(wrongly) only to be found with the latter.
earl
See my previous post about my brother in law. The moron can't stay out of trouble, and its mostly the courts fault imo. Every time he gets arrested, they say how much trouble he is in "this time", then he gets let off easy. I know there is an overcrowding issue in jails, that is another discussion. The judges know who he is, and they know he is so much of a moron he is unfixable. They are probably waiting for him to join the Darwin award list, like I am.

BTW, he was on the run, skipping rehab and his halfway house or whatever for several weeks. The local city police caught him and his idiot buddies playing chicken on the train tracks yesterday. If I could time travel I would go there to stop the cop and explain who he is. Let him play chicken for awhile.

I may sound heartless, but take one look at his 4 kids when they hear he broke out of rehab, assaulted a cop, robbed a store, etc. I wonder how many pages his rap sheet is. I'm guessing about 30 arrests.

Newest Threads