Better off with no gun ? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Better off with no gun ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee
Prison is a roof over your head, food every day, tv, and a prison job.

Dead is dead. A cold grave while your body dissolves.

Just remember to respond proportionally to the threat.

Don't gun somebody down for punching you once in the face.
I agree with Shoobee.

Well, I'll be damned....

Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #52

Liked 5010 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
This part of your post makes me doubt everything else you said in it.

Once again it becomes apparent the "diversity" of people who visit forums. Your personal attack betrays your claim of maturity and control imo.

But thx for checking in just the same.,
Galapagos, I apologize for that last comment. After reading this entire thread it's apparent that you are not a hoplophobe or a troll.

The "notions or risks" to consider as listed in your post do read like a what's what from the anti play book. "a gun in your home is x times more likely to be used on a family member", Ect, Ect, Ect...

Also, I don't put much stock in the "oh no I might loose control" train of thought. This is why I invoked the hoplophobe card. Those who suffer from an irrational fear of guns do so because they doubt there own ability to make the right decisions and take the right actions. They then project these fears onto everyone else, reasoning that if they can't handle it, no one can. Subsequently, they come to the conclusion that anyone who would actually want to carry a gun MUST be a blood thirsty nut job. Understanding this paradigm helps us to understand the completely illogical manner in which the anti's attempt to frame the issue.

Tack

Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #53

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Guys i am in no way ''the brightest crayon in the box'' compared to alot of people on the forum, but im always hearing about how america dosent stay true to the second amendment and a few others as well but how come i have heard of anyone going to the supreme court about it? I know it would be a challenge to win over this considering all the gun control laws in certain places but i think its possible. Has anyone ever tried taking this to the supreme court and fighting for are rights in this somewhat unconstitutional country ? Im assuming its because most of the people in charge of the supreme court ''liberal loonies''? Correct me if im wrong. It dosent even need to be a single person going up against the supreme court, it can be a small group(5-10 people) with a massive petition or even the nra.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #54
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Right now the SCOTUS has a 5 to 4 conservative majority. It is a very shaky majority. One wrong statement could destroy all the gains we have made in recent years. If Obama wins, he will more than likely be able to appoint another justice and could tip the balance of power. Going to the Supreme Court has to be carefully planned with the best experts you can find.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #55

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Obama also wants to ban guns right? and Ron Paul didn't get nominated . i wonder who's going to be in control this election. Although that's true the main thing that im wondering is why hasn't anyone actually went to supreme court and at least tried to get america to stay true to the constitution?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #56

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Galapagos, I apologize for that last comment. After reading this entire thread it's apparent that you are not a hoplophobe or a troll.

The "notions or risks" to consider as listed in your post do read like a what's what from the anti play book. "a gun in your home is x times more likely to be used on a family member", Ect, Ect, Ect...

Also, I don't put much stock in the "oh no I might loose control" train of thought. This is why I invoked the hoplophobe card. Those who suffer from an irrational fear of guns do so because they doubt there own ability to make the right decisions and take the right actions. They then project these fears onto everyone else, reasoning that if they can't handle it, no one can. Subsequently, they come to the conclusion that anyone who would actually want to carry a gun MUST be a blood thirsty nut job. Understanding this paradigm helps us to understand the completely illogical manner in which the anti's attempt to frame the issue.

Tack
Not a problem. I realize this is a passionate topic for many. Myself included. And you are correct in that there are many people who fear guns, when they should in fact be fearing the people who get them, legally and otherwise. You know what they say..."Guns don't kill people....PEOPLE kill people". Personally, I feel we'd be better off with more guns, not less. And I've never had much trouble with bad decisions in my life but it does make me pause and ponder the number of ways one could find themselves in serious trouble while carrying a gun. Mostly because of Liberal attitudes and over reaction by the legal system.

In response to your assertion....I will readily admit that yes, the fear of getting into serious legal trouble while carrying has crossed my mind. Mainly because we have so many brilliant lawmakers who have introduced so much legislation that makes it too easy to find oneself in legal trouble. Not necessarily that the gun owner did anything horribly wrong. In some ways, there has been some relaxation of laws such as the stand your ground law in Florida where I am. But also lawyers who see a meal over the smallest infractions.

Balanced against that is the confidence that I can carry a weapon responsibly and safely.
And yes, I would rather carry and be prepared than to not carry and find myself a victim to violence. But that is no guarantee that circumstances could not arise where a bad decision could be made. It happens even with Police Officers.

Hopefully this thread will just serve to help think about all the things that constitute the responsibility of gun ownership and Concealed Carry. I'm not trying to teach anyone here anything. Just get others thoughts on it and learn for myself.

Maybe it's safe to say one should never reach for a concealed weapon unless they are confronted with someone also bearing a firearm or other deadly weapon or in an overwhelming situation of immediate and life threatening danger.

Would you draw your concealed weapon for example if 15 "dangerous looking" teenagers began to close in on you in a place and manner that you felt they were intending harm or would you wait until they actually made a move on you and were close enough to strike you? Can you see that my fears are about situations that may be difficult to foresee and the Potential legal issues that may arise?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #57

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

I agree with Shoobee.

Well, I'll be damned....
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #58

Yes I do see your concern but my training has convinced me that too much reflection, in a life threatening situation, is a recipe for hesitation and he who hesitates is lost.

As a Veteran I'm a big fan of training, especially for life long civilians. Training will help hone the mechanics and mindset necessary to win a fight BUT the knowledge of "when to fight" is ingrained in all of us. It's called "the fight or flight" response and any 12 year old posses it.

As I see it, the biggest threat to anyone who carries a gun is NOT what a DA may try to do to you after you've survived...but what the perp WILL do to you if he gets control of you and your weapon because you were to worried about lawyers to draw, aim, and fire.

Never allow what ifs to impede your reaction to a threat and ALWAYS listen to your gut.

Tack

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #59

To expand on the danger of overthinking the what ifs I'll ask if anyone remembers Reginald Denny? Mr Denny was the truck driver dragged from the cab of his rig by a mob of rioters following the Rodney King verdict. He was beaten and repeatedly struck in the head with bricks and spent several years learning to use a spoon again.

Mr Denny is an example of what happens when PC thought is allowed to overrule gut instinct. Did Mr Denny have a gun? I don't know, but he certainly had a truck and chose NOT to use it because rioters were not shooting at him. I guarantee his gut was telling him to put the hammer down and run them down if necessary but he ignored his instinct and paid a heavy price.

Would Denny have been prosecuted had he followed his gut, perhaps, but in hindsight does anyone here think he would have been convicted? I don't.

Tack

Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #60
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9077 Times on 5274 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I have gone utterly berserk a few times over the past 30 or 40 years, every time I was armed with a knife and/or a gun or they were very close at hand and not once have I used them.

The last fight I was in lasted 20 or 30 yards. I dropped down into a ravine off the side of the road, they caught up to me then and started beating on me, but there were so many of them that I slipped out from under the pile and down the ravine and ran off while they beat the crap out of each other. That was in 1983. I had a knife. I didn't use it.