Better off with no gun ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Better off with no gun ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The Appaloosa: "The next time you point a gun at me, you better pull that trigger, because I'm going to blow you into so many pieces your friends will get tired of looking for you."

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Know what to shoot.....and when!

Yes, it's easy to sit in front of the computer typing a response but when it comes down to the brass tacks and you're confronted with a situation, it's your overall mental preparedness that ends up being the final determination of your actions. Going to the range and shooting paper targets is one thing. Being confronted by, or being in the proximity of, a perp committing a crime is a whole other animal. There are so many things that you must "process" mentally. Is he armed? What is he armed with? Is he threatening other people or you? Does he appear nervous or in some other way "impared," either by drugs or alcohol?
There is also the entire scene to process. How many innocent people are around? How accurate a shot are YOU? What is YOUR mental state? Excited? Nervous? Scared? Breathless? How will THAT affect your accuracy?
All of this has to go through your mind in an instant while you're a witness to the commission of a crime. There are simulators that give an abbreviated view of situations like this and some LEOs are trained using them. But there's still that "not really there in reality" factor even WITH a simulator. Until you're actually in that situation (and here's hoping that you or I never are), you really can't be sure WHAT your response will be. All one can do is make sure that you are the most proficient you can be with your carry weapon and if it ever comes down to you having to draw your weapon, you will be, at least, prepared enough to pull the trigger and hit what you're aiming at (the perp) and not an innocent.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Great post Gordon.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #14

When I got my Concealed Carry Permit in New Mexico, I started researching the topic of what happens if you use the firearm in self defense, even without firing it. One thing that came across clearly was that many people who had a self defense incident end up taking a plea bargain because they couldn't afford the tens of thousands of dollars for a good 2nd Amendment attorney.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 398 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 596

Know your weapon, know yourself, know the applicable laws, know your surroundings. Pray you never have to shoot anything but paper.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very well said FlashGordan. very good points and thoughts to give consideration to. no one can know truly what they will do when confronted with a situation that could result in having to use deadly force. i personally don't believe there is any way to prepare one's self for for every situation that could arise. but paying attention to details. being aware of your surroundings, and not putting yourself into a situation that would compromise your safety will keep you from much harm. the random acts of violence are the ones that are harder to prepare for. these could happen anywhere, anytime and to anyone. a mugging, attempted rape or assualt, carjacking and just plain mean spirited evil people who are looking hurt someone just for the pleasure of it. i think the best preparation is to use plain old common sense. sometimes maybe better to use your head instead of a gun.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There's no substitute for training and mental preparation for dealing with a situation where you may have to draw down on someone and shoot.

But it seems that there are an awful lot of hoops one must jump through to be found innocent of wrongdoing these days. You don't want people shooting others without a good reason, but "good reason" is subjective. What's really a lethal threat? When you get cold-cocked, knocked down and some big guy is pounding the bejeebus out of you, is it reasonable to shoot? I'd think so, but ask George Zimmerman how that's working out.

It should never be the case that "shoot, shovel and shut up" is considered as a course of action, but again it seems that might sometimes be the only way to defend yourself and not end up in prison as a convicted felon (and thus be unable to legally defend yourself or your loved ones with a firearm ever again).

Common sense has left us, both in our justice system and among the general populace.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it." - Clint Smith

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #19

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

yep when i lived in Bridgeport or should i say scumport(referring to most people) it was and still is an awful neighborhood.I saw a kid he was around 7 or 8 and he was smoking a joint. real great parenting.... not to mention the massive amount of drug dealers,theives,''gangsters' (btw plenty of them) and i even knew people who were shot in the neighborhood. Just terrible parenting and kids that are going nowhere i even heard on the news about an old couple being beat to death with a brick and one of my friends got stabbed and almost died while taking out the garbage. Just an awful place to be. if there were less people who thought it was cool to be a thug,gangsta,hood rat then the world might be alot better.....
to bad i didnt know one adult that concealed or open carried. by the way i knew alot of the adults.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I know that I might not be here if I had not had a gun when I needed it. I will carry and live with the risk. The anti gun people want you to have the no gun attitude. Give in and they win.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."