"Being Honest Messed Up My Life"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > "Being Honest Messed Up My Life"

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Thumbs down "Being Honest Messed Up My Life"

Recently, a young, single, law abiding mom from Pennsylvania made the mistake of driving into New Jersey, while carrying her legally purchased firearm. Shaneen Allen says she did not know that her legally-obtained concealed carry permit was not valid in New Jersey. She got the concealed carry permit (after filling out paperwork, passing a background check and getting mandatory training), because she wanted to keep herself and her children safe. She had gotten robbed several times, and this hard-working young lady, who works two jobs to support her family, now may be facing a mandatory three years in prison for accidentally crossing into New Jersey with her tool of self-defense.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/kenyon-honesty.htm

This is so messed up..................

Cnon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnon View Post
Recently, a young, single, law abiding mom from Pennsylvania made the mistake of driving into New Jersey, while carrying her legally purchased firearm. Shaneen Allen says she did not know that her legally-obtained concealed carry permit was not valid in New Jersey. She got the concealed carry permit (after filling out paperwork, passing a background check and getting mandatory training), because she wanted to keep herself and her children safe. She had gotten robbed several times, and this hard-working young lady, who works two jobs to support her family, now may be facing a mandatory three years in prison for accidentally crossing into New Jersey with her tool of self-defense.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/kenyon-honesty.htm

This is so messed up..................

Cnon
Don't get me wrong, a serious story is never confined to the activist web sites. The mistake she made is all too common. There has to be more to it. If not, there is no way she is going to prison.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Don't get me wrong, a serious story is never confined to the activist web sites. The mistake she made is all too common. There has to be more to it. If not, there is no way she is going to prison.
do not be too sure of that as there is a US marine rotting in a mexican jail for the exact same thing. libs go out of their way to free desertors and keep murderous thugs out of prison and go to the same effort to be sure citizens trying to protect themselves end up on death row...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 07-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
do not be too sure of that as there is a US marine rotting in a mexican jail for the exact same thing. libs go out of their way to free desertors and keep murderous thugs out of prison and go to the same effort to be sure citizens trying to protect themselves end up on death row...
The operational word is "mexican". The guy spent 2 months in jail before seeing a judge. Plus that story made prime-time news. Let's just wait and see how the woman's case turns out.

PS. There is a guy from Indy who is in a Venezuelan jail. The initial story was, he got framed in the rotten "justice" system on some gun charges. Which is at least partially true, right? Turns out he also shot a local in an argument over some loud music. The story is still murky, after some two years...

Last edited by Mercator; 07-15-2014 at 04:42 AM. Reason: PS

Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #5

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

This is pretty crappy for this girl but she got the permit and is legally obligated to know the laws.
Ingnorance of the law is not an excuse to break the law,in a perfect world they would have slapped her on the wrist and let her walk with a stearin lecture and maybe a fine but it is not a perfect world. I hope the best for this woman.
I have a carry permit here in California and there are places I cannot carry and I as the permit holder am obligated to know those places including other states.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

People Like This 
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7676 Times on 4171 Posts
Likes Given: 16077

State's rights

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with Rifleman. she is the one who is obligated to know the laws concerning where she can and can't carry. she should also know the bounderies in between the states she travels in and if she travels in another state, it's her obligation to know the gun laws in that state as well.

a good lawyer should be able to get it reduced to a lesser charge, and hopefully only a fine, if she is lucky and depending on how agressive the prosecutor is on gun violations.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #8

Liked 210 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Heres the problem as I see it... The second amendment to the United States Constitution protecs the right to law abiding individuals to keep and bear arms.
as I see it the State is in violation of the United States Constitution and of this womans second amendment right to keep and bear arms.
The LEA and its agent commited the act of tyrany when they arrested this woman for exerciseing her rights to defend herself and her family.
I would Contact The NRA, GOA,JPFO (even tho I am not Hebrew) and any other pro 2A orginization for Legal support.
I believe the case should be thrown out of court by the Judge if he is to uphold his oath to protect the Constitution of The United States.
But Thats just me.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 07-15-2014 at 06:35 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3357 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I'm Jewish and I did not know JPFO even EXISTED until 2 years ago. Anyone can be a member, which I am now( since last year)...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith View Post
Heres the problem as I see it... The second amendment to the United States Constitution protecs the right to law abiding individuals to keep and bear arms.
as I see it the State is in violation of the United States Constitution and of this womans second amendment right to keep and bear arms.
The LEA and its agent commited the act of tyrany when they arrested this woman for exerciseing her rights to defend herself and her family.
I would Contact The NRA, GOA,JPFO (even tho I am not Hebrew) and any other pro 2A orginization for Legal support.
I believe the case should be thrown out of court by the Judge if he is to uphold his oath to protect the Constitution of The United States.
But Thats just me.
i agree with you, but unless she is willing to be the test case to push the issue, and has the time, the money and the resources to fight it court, i seriously doubt she would make any headway.

no matter if the laws she violated were unconstitutional, they are still laws, until they are reversed or ablolished. the wheels of justice sometimes turn very slowly, but they are turning in the right direction.