Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Battle of Athens (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/battle-athens-31489/)

clip11 09-08-2010 05:29 PM

Battle of Athens

The Battle of Athens

I found this. It's about some citizens here in the U.S. that overthrew their corrupt county government, police force and all. It happened August, 1946.

NGIB 09-08-2010 05:37 PM

What exactly is your point? Do you intend to lead the revolt?

Personally, I prefer the ballot box to armed insurrection - but you go right ahead...

Dillinger 09-08-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 346750)

Personally, I prefer the ballot box to armed insurrection - but you go right ahead...

So, you are saying you have his back? His WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY Back?? :D

Jim1611 09-08-2010 06:09 PM

It's sad that these people were put into this position. I have had the thought that our leaders are letting us down in so many ways but here is an example. These folks seemed to do all they could to obtain what so many of us take for granted, an honest election. We are as a nation being forced day by day to accept what the good ole boys in leadership want us to accept and shut up and take it. It's almost everywhere we look.

I too want to be able to vote this November and take back what has been taken from us. If however we think we can do that by electing even more career ploiticians then we will get a disappointment, nothing will change. I hope sooner or later, that if tyranny continues, there will be those that are willing to lay their lives down for the future freedom of this nation. Count me in if we get to that point!!!

clip11 09-08-2010 06:35 PM

I was just sharing something I found there was no "point" to it.

orangello 09-08-2010 06:43 PM

Interesting!

bkt 09-08-2010 07:37 PM

This is worth reading. Always take up an opportunity to study history. And don't stop at the link provided -- do some of your own digging to verify it.

To me, the point is merely this: it is in our nature as Americans to rebel against f^(%tards who mean to screw us over illegally, overthrow them, and take control from them. This nation was born that way.

Arguably, the situation in Athens should never have had to happen; the Governor should have intervened. But, he didn't. And the people did what needed to be done. Good for them!

Here's to hoping there are still Americans like that left -- people who won't be pushed around and shafted indefinitely. It would be a shame if our heritage just faded away.

bkt 09-08-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 346750)

Put yourself in Athens back then. What would you have done?

Let's pray that our electoral system remains reasonably credible these days.

NGIB 09-08-2010 07:47 PM

My rather terse reply is due to the OP's status. Since he couldn't follow the law, he's now decided to be a staunch advocate for constitutional freedoms up to and including revolution. Personally, I don't grant much credibility to folks that "gain" their enlightenment from a run-in with the law. I first swore an oath to support and defend the constitution of the United States 38 years ago - and I NEVER want to see a revolution.

Folks that argue the "shall not be infringed" of the 2A after they've broken the law don't add much strength to our common argument. While I think I have a right to bear arms - I followed the current GA laws so I could LEGALLY exercise that right...

Jim1611 09-08-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 346846)
My rather terse reply is due to the OP's status. Since he couldn't follow the law, he's now decided to be a staunch advocate for constitutional freedoms up to and including revolution. Personally, I don't grant much credibility to folks that "gain" their enlightenment from a run-in with the law. I first swore an oath to support and defend the constitution of the United States 38 years ago - and I NEVER want to see a revolution.

Folks that argue the "shall not be infringed" of the 2A after they've broken the law don't add much strength to our common argument. While I think I have a right to bear arms - I followed the current GA laws so I could LEGALLY exercise that right...

Your service to our country and the oath you swore are something we all are greatfull beyond eternity for. I don't want to see a revolution again either but what if it needs to take place? That is a possibility.

Those shots fired upon the British troops were fired because of somewhat similiar things that we face today. No we aren't facing a king that won't listen but we are facing a group of people that share some of his faults and ideals. Control of the populous is what he exercised and it's the same we see today. Take out money that we earn, resrtict freedom and ignore the God given and constitutional rights of us and we will have just cause to rebel agianst it.

By the way, I'm not familiar with the op, what is his status?