Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > BATF Shotgun Study is out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Question

I have to wonder why the "gun control act of 1968", which brought up the whole "sporting purpose" BS, survived through the Bush years? I mean, i didn't and don't agree with Bush on everything, but i thought he was in favor of the 2nd Amendment? There was a pretty solid republican power base backing Bush up for a good portion of those years, IIRC. Seriously, his administration had enough pull to get us involved in two wars, but they couldn't give us regular people back our less-restricted, should've never been restricted RKBA? WTH!?

Makes me think that even the Republicans don't want a well-armed citizenry out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #22

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

well I guess I can't replace all those guns I lost in that boating accident

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have to wonder why the "gun control act of 1968", which brought up the whole "sporting purpose" BS, survived through the Bush years? I mean, i didn't and don't agree with Bush on everything, but i thought he was in favor of the 2nd Amendment? There was a pretty solid republican power base backing Bush up for a good portion of those years, IIRC. Seriously, his administration had enough pull to get us involved in two wars, but they couldn't give us regular people back our less-restricted, should've never been restricted RKBA? WTH!?

Makes me think that even the Republicans don't want a well-armed citizenry out there.
Ahh i think you got it now grasshopper.
I don't think most of them REALLY support 2A. Just enough to get the votes they need out of us. The GCA of '68 also survived Reagan and the first Bush.

What odds does anyone see of having Congress overturn the GCA of 68? Bush and congress wouldn't even do anything to repeal the AWB. They just let it expire.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
are these not subjectable to the 10 round limit!!?? i live in NY and so far as long as its 10 and under (without being pre-ban) youre right as rain...now just because its a shotty its gotta be 5?!?!? wth?!
No, this is only a report. It's not law. Yet. Stay tuned.

(And you're aware that 10-rd limit only applies to semis, right? I've got a collapsible stock and a 7+1 magtube on my 870 and it's perfectly legal in NYS because it's a pump.)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
This is the one thing that I thought about every time I seen the term sporting purpose. It doesn't matter. "sporting purposes" is not the only reason to own any weapon. This BS needs gone and in a hurry. any lawmaker that believes this is the proper criteria needs gone..It's just that simple.
Well, that would be most lawmakers in New York State. One of them was complaining about .50s and said there's no sporting purpose for them and that they could be used against politicians. Uh, yes. That's exactly one reason for 2A: as a means for freedom-loving citizens to retain their freedom for overzealous politicians when petitions and ballots no longer work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The only reason government wants to restrict what we can own is so the government will always have the power to suppress any action taken by citizens. I'm not saying actino needs to ber taken. But at some point it just might. So the restrictions are just to keep people as weak as possible.
Exactly right.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. -Thomas Jefferson

Right now, a big problem we have is the huge number of idiot citizens who would support new anti-gun laws.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
No, this is only a report. It's not law. Yet. Stay tuned.
Isn't there a way to comment on this report? If so, whining that the GCA of 1968 still exists probably wouldn't do much good; what would be a good argument?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #27

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

i didnt read the whole thing because I got all antsy and upset...I thought they were going to make shotguns in general 5 round limit. And I know...i have a bps 6+1

Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1778 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 3562

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Isn't there a way to comment on this report? If so, whining that the GCA of 1968 still exists probably wouldn't do much good; what would be a good argument?
Pulled from AR15 forum, they have 7 pages running on this issue:

""ATF announces the publication of the Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns. To obtain comments from the affected industry, ATF will be accepting comments January 31, 2011, through May 1, 2011, at shotgunstudy@atf.gov"

Make your voices heard, folks. Send it to everyone in your mailing list."

Here is the ATF website,

http://www.atf.gov/

Scroll down to January 26 Headquarters —ATF announces the publication of the Study on the Importability of Certain Shotguns. To obtain comments from the affected industry, ATF will be accepting comments January 31, 2011, through May 1, 2011, at shotgunstudy@atf.gov

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 01-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. -Thomas Jefferson

Right now, a big problem we have is the huge number of idiot, I want my life to be run by the government, "sheeple", who would support new anti-gun laws.
There, I fixed that for ya.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

disgusting, simply disgusting...I can find no other words...