Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

just wanted to add...i'm thoroughly shocked and disappointed about the # of people who dont give a damn about gun control until it's their gun on the line.

So to you 29 others who have signed the petition, or sent some emails, or contacted your representatives to ask for a change in the laws (abolish FOID!) then I say Thank you for being a Great American.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-16-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
just wanted to add...i'm thoroughly shocked and disappointed about the # of people who dont give a damn about gun control until it's their gun on the line.

So to you 29 others who have signed the petition, or sent some emails, or contacted your representatives to ask for a change in the laws (abolish FOID!) then I say Thank you for being a Great American.
I share your shock and disappointment Prime.. I'm surprised that everyone hasn't signed your petition or/and sent an email. Takes just a few minutes of your time "AND" it just might effect all of us down the line. Even though I live in Georgia, I decided it was important enoungh to show my dissatisfaction and concern to do what I could...

There are so many other "sports" centers that I can drop my hard earned cash at other than BPS

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #63

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

While I sent an email, I do not, as simply part of my nature, sign petitions. Never liked them, and don't sign.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
While I sent an email, I do not, as simply part of my nature, sign petitions. Never liked them, and don't sign.
Well every email helps

and my comment also included my friends and family... most of whom own at least 1 firearm... only 1 of which took time to actually look into this... my lovely wife

I even had 1 person say " when they come knocking at my front door, I'll give you a call"

sigh

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #65
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3229 Times on 1949 Posts
Likes Given: 3096

Brandon,

Remember integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking. We're doing the right thing.

Jeff
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Brandon,

Remember integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking. We're doing the right thing.

Jeff
I agree completely. My frustration was not to lead towards dismay, just basically venting =)

Anyways, anybody hear anything at all yet? It's been silence for quite some time...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #67

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If you have ever dealt with the legal system you will know that if we get a responce in a few months it will be remarkable!

Put yourself in the place of these retailers - - - they do not make money by turning paying customers away!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
]
Put yourself in the place of these retailers - - - they do not make money by turning paying customers away!
Saying this, you are correct, but if they really felt this way - deep down - they would never have taken the word of an Illinois State Police officer via email. They have lawyers, they should have used them.

Which leads me to another knee slapper. It'll take forever to reverse a decision that literally took 2 seconds to create...because according to BPS, before this email arrived, they sold ammo in accordance with FOID law.

I imagine it went like this:

Open email
**** pants
Open microsoft word
type up new policy

all in 10 minutes.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #69
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3229 Times on 1949 Posts
Likes Given: 3096

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Larry Whiteley of BPS and I feel they are really trying to get a clear policy ...

He again stated to me all the large retailers in ILL that sell ammo are getting their legal teams together and if they all work together I'm ( me not Larry ) hopeful they can get the lawmakers in ILL to come to a reasonable law. ...
Just noticed these two goals described to GWK by Mr. Whiteley. These are two totally different goals.

Changing the law to be more reasonable is a long term activity. We should not be expecting instant results on this one. BUT!!!!

The clear policy goal is one that BPS (and other retailers as applicable) have under their own control. They should be able to act promptly on this. The law as written isn't the best, but it's clear enough. It IS legal for non-residents to buy ammunition in Illinois. Period. The only thing preventing Jim and others from buying ammunition at BPS is the BPS policy.

It's hard to tell by looking at the statutes themselves, but it looks like much of that act was effective sometime around 2000-2002. The law is at least 10 years old. The law didn't change early this month did it? So why did BPS policy change recently?

How about this sequence of events at BPS?

Opens FirearmsTalk.COM
Reads this thread
Slaps forehead and says "What were we thinking?"
Opens MS Word
Quotes pertinent sections of the law as quoted above.
Advises stores in Illinois to allow ammunition sales with proper ID
- FOID for Illinois residents
- Drivers license for non-residents
Switches back to Internet Explorer and posts a detailed and heartfelt apology to all of us.
Put $200 gift certificate in envelope addressed to Jim and leave it at the ammo counter in Gurnee!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #70

I agree Balota,

and to add my thoughts onto the end of it - i'm kinda tired of hearing BPS say "Well, everyone else is doing it" as if it's going to justify it in any way.

You very clearly typed out what i've been trying to say for a while now, Balota, the "law" isn't the issue in this case. In this case, the issue is someone not paying attention and making a stupid decision.

Then to further their mistake, they can't just look at it, admit fault, and rectify, they have to play the blame game and drag things out

very unprofessional.

Closed Thread