Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
Now lets get together and support the retailers
Personally - i'll support the retailers when they start supporting me. At this point, they say they're on our side, and i'll take them at their word for now, but their previous actions will keep me a major skeptic until I have reason to change my mind. (if you really are pro-2nd amendment, then you're going to look into something like this before you create a policy restricting the sale of ammunition)

Did they do it to screw people over? No. But their negligence, at least to me, suggests they care(d) less than they do now that it's been brought to light.

If BPS retracts the policy after looking at the law, and erects a new policy that allows for sale of *ANY* ammunition to non-residents provided they meet one of the 16 requirements laid out in the FOID act, then I will support them.

Until then, personally, i'll only offer them my support through the means of e-mail and information like what the FOID law actually says (not my opinion of it, but the actual wording its self)

Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #52

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
whats confusing about their response is first she says "the answer isnt clear"

then she clearly gives the answer.

The answer *IS* clear - if you're mentioned in section 2, paragraph b, #'s 1 through 16 (and in this case, more pointedly, #9 and #10) then you are exempt from the restrictions of ammunition sale in the FOID act.

Maybe its me? Maybe im reading words in my head that don't actually exist. Maybe im the dumb one?

But as I see it, if the law says "only red and purple people can buy ammo" and you're a red person, then you can buy ammo.

In this case, red people can buy ammo, but BPS (and now this spokesperson from ICC) is saying "well, it doesnt say whether or not blue people can buy ammo....sooooo....there is some gray area, this is quite unclear, better to take caution"

Nobody is asking about blue people. We're asking about RED AND PURPLE people. *sigh*

I'm in contact with them too, on their forums...their members so far have completely different opinions from that spokesperson.
If you are the dumb one, sir, then go ahead and count me in too. Because from where I stand, I've never been to law school so I rely on attorneys to translate any laws I am confused by in text. This one, while still as confusing as laws are, is fairly clear. As long as you read ever section and article and every # / ( ) and so on.

But just to be sure I forwarded the whole ordeal to a cousin of mine who is a snooty white collar lawyer, but at she carries a gun. The Illinois law and ISP officers 'input' is what I sent, not so much Jim's incident because I really just want her to interpret the damn law and ISP's claim to it... We will see shortly...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #53

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

My cousin called me back. I bombarded her with questions and she stood by what we all interpreted. Just a little FYI if anyone cares. Part of the conversation went like this.
"So I, a California resident and documented handgun owner in that state, walks into a business that legally sells firearms and ammunition, can I purchase ammunition for my .40 caliber pistol?"

She responded with Illinois state Law in hand.

"Do you have proper ID?"

"yes"

" Can you prove you legally own a firearm in that caliber?"

"yes"

"yes"

Just saying, here's a lawyer, there's the law. Whats so difficult here.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Woody View Post
My cousin called me back. I bombarded her with questions and she stood by what we all interpreted. Just a little FYI if anyone cares. Part of the conversation went like this.
"So I, a California resident and documented handgun owner in that state, walks into a business that legally sells firearms and ammunition, can I purchase ammunition for my .40 caliber pistol?"

She responded with Illinois state Law in hand.

"Do you have proper ID?"

"yes"

"yes"

"yes"

Just saying, here's a lawyer, there's the law. Whats so difficult here.

I'm glad shes agreeing with us

but if you get a chance to talk to her again, please ask her where it states

Quote:
Because as I read the law, it doesn't say you have to have a 9mm firearm on you to buy 9mm ammo. It just says

(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

So i just don't see where it says it has to be "THE" firearm.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-14-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #55

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I can remember back in the 70's when I lived in Illinois, you had to sign a log every time you purchased ammunition....ANY ammunition, even .22's, much like you did for narcotic cough syrup. I think that went away after they passed "The Paperwork Reduction Act", or some such nonsense in the early 80's.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #56

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Just an FYI, I looked in to any lake county laws that might interfere with the IL FOID laws. There are none. All of the police officers & sheriffs could just about recite the foid laws verbatim and believe that BPS is completely in the wrong. All of this BS has driven me to start reloading. I'm glad I started. I still drive by BPS everyday and would like to be able to shop there. I'm looking forward to them straightening things out for us. Fingers crossed

Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for posting this and doing the work you did on this issue Prime... Sent the email and signed your petition.. I read the law and it's very clear to me that if you meet certain requirements, you can purchase ammo.

Personally I reload all my own stuff but still, it's the principle of the matter. A company that's suposed to be for the sportsman/hunter/shooter should have never instituted such a policy. What bothers me even more was that they did it without fully understanding the law...

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #58
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Sadly, still no response from Officer Marston (see post #45) with comments on the thread or explanation of legal basis for "no handgun ammo for nonresidents" policy. Sure wish he'd respond. I feel bad (ok, just a little tiny bit bad) highlighting his role in this situation without him being in a position to respond. Seriously, he is in law enforcement, so he should know what the laws are that he is enforcing. If he believes what his e-mail to BPS said, then there should be a statute reference to support that belief.

Until then, looking forward to seeing what BPS finally decides to do about their unnecessarily restrictive policy.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #59

I have hopes that Tim Johnson was not blowing smoke up my ass and was legit saying he would get someone on it.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #60
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1997

Hope springs eternal!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Closed Thread