Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
It's not just Illinois. Bass Pro here in Arizona does not, and will not carry any "black rifles", because they are not "sporting related". I went there once when they opened, and have not been back since. Cabela's is only 2 miles down the road from me, and stock any type of weapon you want, even AK's. There is nothing Bass Pro has I can't get elsewhere, generally for better prices as well.
Sounds like you guys must have a "rogue" manager or something. This is in the BPS circular I received in the mail today....

image-3879108351.jpg

image-2831963430.jpg

I wonder if corporate is aware of the practice?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #32

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Prime, sounds good, I was hoping Whiteley was genuine in his emails to me and it sounds like he was, I too was wondering why he quit responding, if BPS, Cabelas, and Walmart are having attorneys look into this, I'm sure it will be straightened out, theres alot of money behind those legal teams.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #33

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I haven't been in there since they opened here 2 years ago. Perhaps they got smart and changed their "philosophy"? Money has a way of doing that very thing.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #34

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
Prime, sounds good, I was hoping Whiteley was genuine in his emails to me and it sounds like he was, I too was wondering why he quit responding, if BPS, Cabelas, and Walmart are having attorneys look into this, I'm sure it will be straightened out, theres alot of money behind those legal teams.
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Larry Whiteley of BPS and I feel they are really trying to get a clear policy and be able to sell again as they do not make money turning away paying customers.

He stated if any of you that send emails on this to BPS would include you phone number they would love to speak to you directly.

He again stated to me all the large retailers in ILL that sell ammo are getting their legal teams together and if they all work together I'm ( me not Larry ) hopeful they can get the lawmakers in ILL to come to a reasonable law. Maybe I'm just too optimistic.

Please email Larry at BPS if you have something you feel would help us all. It would be terrible if we let the “anti gun nuts” use this to help their cause!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #35

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Yeah...it's a GREAT motivator, for sure.

Edit: (forgot to quote billt)

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #36

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

For what it's worth, that price isn't too bad on that Colt Sporter.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #37

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

i've updated the main thread, and will keep doing so as we hear more and more back from BPS. I'm actually quite excited to hear back from Mr. Whiteley...i'm possibly too optimistic, but I just can't see their lawyers looking at the same laws we all have, and coming up with a different assessment of what it says...stranger things have happened, but i'm hopeful BPS will do the right thing now. The only wrench I can see in this is they find some law we can't that says they're not allowed to sell it...this is Illinois after all, it's probably a law buried under Wrigley Field with some mob snitch, only to be dug up in instances like this.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #38

an interesting find from a guy in another forum in my continued research.

Just another example of how screwed up Illinois is with corrupt, liberal minded, childish politicians...according to Illinois Law, the sale of any airsoft gun without a FOID card or background check is now illegal

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=4063&GAID=11&Se ssionID=84&LegID=63317

...funny how BPS didn't pick up on that one

Quote:
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Excludes from the definition of "firearm", any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or (rather than and) which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second. Effective immediately.
The link & quote above is a state representative's proposal to change the law. Illinois sucks. End of story.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-13-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #39

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I heard back from Illinois Concealed Carry and their response isn't exactly what I would expect to get from a gun rights group, basically they told me what I already knew, here is the email:

Tom,

I’m not sure there is a straight answer. As with all the Illinois Statutes we deal with here in IL, those pertaining to ammunition are just as confusing as all the rest of the FOID act. I would surmise that Bass Pro Shops are erring on the side of caution because the law is so very confusing.

Here is the answer I got back from some of the legal people I asked:

A non-Illinois resident who does not have a FOID can obtain long gun ammunition under Section 3a, or,

if the person is among those listed in 430 Ill. Comp. Stat. Ann. § 65/2(b), he or she can obtain whatever

sort of ammunition is appropriate to his or her circumstances.

subsection (c) of the same statute states: “The provisions of this Section regarding the transfer of firearm ammunition shall not apply to those persons specified in paragraph (b) of Section 2 of this Act.” Such exempted persons include (among others):

(4) Members of bona fide veterans organizations which receive firearms directly from the armed forces of the United States, while using the firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;

(5) Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

. . .

(7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(8) Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or display recognized by the Department of State Police; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;

(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

(12) Color guards of bona fide veterans organizations or members of bona fide American Legion bands while using firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;

(13) Nonresident hunters whose state of residence does not require them to be licensed or registered to possess a firearm and only during hunting season, with valid hunting licenses, while accompanied by, and using a firearm owned by, a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card and while in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code [FN1] where hunting is permitted and controlled, but in no instance upon sites owned or managed by the Department of Natural Resources;

(14) Resident hunters who are properly authorized to hunt and, while accompanied by a person who possesses a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, hunt in an area within a commercial club licensed under the Wildlife Code where hunting is permitted and controlled;

(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization; and

(16) Competitive shooting athletes whose competition firearms are sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the International Shooting Sport Federation, or USA Shooting in connection with such athletes' training for and participation in shooting competitions at the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games and sanctioned test events leading up to the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Keep in mind I am not a legal expert and this is not legal advice. . .

Valinda Rowe

IllinoisCarry.com spokesperson

Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #40

whats confusing about their response is first she says "the answer isnt clear"

then she clearly gives the answer.

The answer *IS* clear - if you're mentioned in section 2, paragraph b, #'s 1 through 16 (and in this case, more pointedly, #9 and #10) then you are exempt from the restrictions of ammunition sale in the FOID act.

Maybe its me? Maybe im reading words in my head that don't actually exist. Maybe im the dumb one?

But as I see it, if the law says "only red and purple people can buy ammo" and you're a red person, then you can buy ammo.

In this case, red people can buy ammo, but BPS (and now this spokesperson from ICC) is saying "well, it doesnt say whether or not blue people can buy ammo....sooooo....there is some gray area, this is quite unclear, better to take caution"

Nobody is asking about blue people. We're asking about RED AND PURPLE people. *sigh*

I'm in contact with them too, on their forums...their members so far have completely different opinions from that spokesperson.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 03-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Closed Thread