Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #121
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2004 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Brandon, It was Scott, the Moderator:
Let me know if you want the original email forwarded to you. I'm sure it's still somewhere in my system.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #122

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I know not what others may do, but my BPS purchases just

stopped, till BPS sees the light of reason.

They don't need to see any of my money, if they're

"in the dark"...

Last edited by therewolf; 08-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #123

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Thanks Scott, I think this will suffice for now, i'll let you know though!

Old 08-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #124

An update for anyone who is interested. I sent Mr. Whitely an email a few days back asking for an update. I have talked with Guns.com and they seem interested, and I was approached by some local media interested in doing a story (I told you all of this already)

However, before going in too much depth with either of them, I said I wanted to reach out to Whitely and see if any progress had been made...after all, no point in running with a story if Bass Pro Shops has already removed their policy and admitted fault.

So I sent him an email asking for an update, and telling him that I have media interested in a story (hoping to spur a quick response...I could have omitted that media was interested, but at this point, I think we're all tired of waiting...and I honestly believe they thought if they ignored me, I'd go away...heh, good luck on that one. )

Anyways, here was his response

Quote:
First of all, if you want to know how we stand on 2nd amendment rights you must have missed the big 2nd Amendment rights we just had during our Fall Hunting Classic and the announcement we are opening the NRA Museum at our Springfield store and that guns bought during Colorado shooting came from our store and a competitor. We didn't back down from our 2nd amendment rights and they did.
I will check with the legal department Monday and see what they have found out.
Have a good weekend

Sent from my iPhone
...Not sure why he's so harsh, my closing statement was simply that we were interested to see if Bass Pro Shops would follow up on its promise to their customers

and about two hours later, he sends this

Quote:
When I talk to the legal department Monday tell me what is new on your end up there with fighting this.
What else have you been doing on this?
Did you get to any of our stores for the great deals we had on guns during our 2nd amendment sale?

Sent from my iPhone
So my first impression is that he's agitated. Certainly not my intentions (seriously, not my intentions) but regardless, not backing down. I'm personally insulted that a company like BPS would have such a gun-grabber friendly policy in their stores...its no different than a business posting "No CCW here"

Well, I won't be supporting them, and I won't support BPS either

Anyways, here was my response

Quote:
Mr. Whitely

Thank you for your fast response! I know we can work together to resolve this, and I appreciate your continued understanding about my frustrations...we had just not heard anything back since the beginning of March, and when I was contacted by the local media who was interested in running the story, and spoke with Guns.com editors, I told them before I talked about anything, I wanted to follow up with you, since I had not heard back from BPS about their lawyers decision, but you had been very gracious thus far, so there was no reason to run a story if BPS had resolved it already. You had a couple of points and questions in your last two emails, so I'd like to address those first:

First of all, if you want to know how we stand on 2nd amendment rights you must have missed the big 2nd Amendment rights we just had during our Fall Hunting Classic and the announcement we are opening the NRA Museum at our Springfield store and that guns bought during Colorado shooting came from our store and a competitor. We didn't back down from our 2nd amendment rights and they did.
I will check with the legal department Monday and see what they have found out.
First off, I thank BPS for not backing down in Colorado. The gun grabbers will grasp at anything they can to make firearm owners look like criminals. You all have my deepest respect in that regard...however, we're not talking about that. We're talking about the policy in your Illinois locations that is dictated, at your own admission, by the Illinois State Police officer Mark Marston, and not an understanding of Illinois Law its self...as per the email you provided from them
Residents of bordering states can purchase long guns and ammo.
Inter-changeable ammo such as 9MM for long guns and hand guns is okay, if
the customer is purchasing at same time as firearm purchase. Nothing in
writing stating that, use your best judgment. Better not to sell 9MM,
7.62MM to non-residents, impossible to determine their use. Same applies
to those not from bordering states, if they purchase a non-resident hunting
license first for long guns or ammo. No hand gun ammo in Illinois for
non-residents. Be all that you can be!
----- Forwarded by Mark Marston/IlStPolice on 10/05/2011 12:28 PM -----
What disappoints me the most is that Bass Pro Shop didn't think it was necessary to contact their corporate lawyers after getting this email from Mr. Marston, before enacting the ammo policy in your Illinois locations. Now, I'm not saying you (BPS) chose to do that "intentionally" Just to "infringe" on anyones rights. I've never said that, in fact, none of us have. Yet, the outcomes are still the same where BPS chose to listen to a police officer who apparently has no understanding of the FOID law, and even in his email tells you that it's not illegal to sell someone the ammo, but that it's "best not to" since it's "impossible to determine their use". Not only is that a questionable remark for an Illinois State Police officer to make (what happened to Innocent until proven guilty?) but it's upsetting to me that Bass Pro Shops chose to assimilate the request into its policy without even looking into it for yourselves, thereby infringing on the 2nd Amendment Rights of your customers. Simply put, if BPS had referred to their corporate lawyers before listening to a police officer in an e-mail, you would have found Section 2 of the FOID act titled

Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions

and from there you could have seen the 16 exceptions to FOID law where the sale and transfer of ammunition are concerned, and among them you could have read this

(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

And from there you could have realized that Officer Marston is either grossly ill informed, or blatantly false and presuming.

Again, BPS' intentions are not my issue, my issue is with the end result. Obviously Bass Pro isn't out to intentionally infringe...yet, it still happened...and I take this degree of exception to Bass Pro Shops policy because Illinois is already the worst state to be in compliance with a Freedom that has already been incorporated to The States by the United States Supreme Court in D.C. vs Heller back in 2008...yet "We The People" are still fighting for our rights against our State Government every day, making progress inch by inch...we take issue that we also face opposition from our favorite place to shop and kill time...Bass Pro Shops.

In your other e-mail, you asked a few questions of me:

When I talk to the legal department Monday tell me what is new on your end up there with fighting this.
What else have you been doing on this?
Did you get to any of our stores for the great deals we had on guns during our 2nd amendment sale?
You ask about "fighting this" and i'm unsure of what "This" is? I assume you're referring to Bass Pro Shops policy? If that's the case, then I can only say that nothing is new on my end, that is why I reached out to you before I responded to the requests I've had from media organizations asking for more information for a possible story. If you're talking about something else, please elaborate and I would love to tell you everything I do every day to try and do my part to Fight for our Rights in the State of Illinois.

Next you ask "What else have you been doing on this?" again, I assume "This" means Bass Pro Shops policy? For that, you'd have to see the above answer.

Your last question about did I shop at your stores during the sale? No. As I said in the beginning, back in February, I will not shop in Bass Pro Shops as long as this policy exists in your stores. While I only speak for myself, and do not presume to represent anyone else other than myself, I will tell you that nearly 2 dozen of my personal friends have agreed to buy their needs from somewhere else until Bass Pro Shops stands up to the Chicago gun grabbers and eliminates this policy in its stores...I can also tell you that nearly 4 dozen other friends in an online community that i've been a long time member of have all expressed vehement disapproval and vowed to stop supporting BPS until BPS starts supporting us.

It's very sad for me. I truthfully have been a Bass Pro Shop loyal patron since my Great Uncle Larry took me to your store on my first hunting trip. Since then I've never used anyone else for my hunting Camo/boots/gear for every bow season. That was...until the beginning of this year when this policy was brought to my attention. This is the first time in my adult life that I've purchased my hunting attire from a competitor, and while I hated sending my money to another company, I must stand by my principals. This is also the first year that my wife will be joining me in the field, and her gear, as well, had to come from some place else.

Your policy is wrong, it is not needed. Your company has every right to have the policy, and I respect your RIGHT to exercise that policy, but I protest your explanation that you're simply following Illinois State Law, because that is patently false... and even the police officer that you, yourself, personally quoted in a prior email as stating it was law, said himself "Nothing in writing stating this" ... there is no law dictating this policy's existence... Its the request of a police officer that your policy was spawned from, and until that changes, I will not shop there, nor will my wife, and dozens of others who have heard about it.

But I do appreciate you going back to the legal department, hopefully they have an answer one way or the other...and hopefully, regardless of the decision they make on Monday, Bass Pro Shops will confer with their legal department in all future endeavors instead of taking legal advice in an e-mail from an Illinois State Police Officer.

So I guess we'll have an answer Monday...wasn't sure if anyone else was still interested, but I wanted to share the update just in case.
Balota Likes This 
Old 08-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #125
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I hope we get this resolved.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #126

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

The impression I got from Whitely in my email correspondence with him was that he is an a$$hole, he got very agitated/rude with me when I brought this up and refused to accept his explanations that BPS is a pro 2A company. He even went as far as to accuse me of attacking him and his "pro 2A" company when I did nothing of the sort, all I did was explain my concerns and gave him my opinion on their policy.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #127

VICTORY IS OURS

Larry Whitely just contacted me to let me know that the policy in question has been reversed after they realized they had misinterpreted the law.

All customers who fall within the 16 exceptions outlined in section 2 of the FOID Act are now allowed, once again, to purchase ammunition at Bass Pro Shops' Illinois Locations.

I think it's freaking awesome that Firearms Talk Forums is single handedly responsible for this change. Bass Pro Shops should send in a hefty contribution to the site with some handy little gift cards for all of you who fought for the rights of someone you've never even met (Though...not holding my breath)

Thanks to everyone who stood up for Jim (Atari101) and countless others by sending emails, making phone calls, signing the petition, and spreading the word.

A bunch of damn patriots reside here. So glad I became a member

Edit: Since my timeframe for editing the original post is long since past, would a moderator please kindly update the OP to reflect the change =)

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 08-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #128

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love it!!!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #129
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Excellent. Can you post the response you received?

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #130

Quote:
Legal just got back to me and the misinterpretation of the ammunition law was figured out back in April and no one bothered to let me know.

There should be no problem buying the ammunition now at any of our Illinois stores [now]

Do you know if anyone has had a problem since April buying ammunition and if so we need to reiterate our policy with our stores again?

Has anyone complained to you about this?

Thank you for standing up for our 2nd amendment rights and if I can ever help you with anything else please contact me.
It requires me to type something here in order to post. this is filler text.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 08-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Closed Thread