Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Bass Pro Shops: Gone too far?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #111
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I went to the Guns.Com article and posted a comment. Found out later one of the 18 other comments also contained the link to this thread. The Guns.Com article and the other 17 comments all thought BPS (and Mr. Whiteley in particular) did a great job handling an unfortunate mistake. The mistake was different from this situation and BPS appears to have actually done something constructive in handling that one. Who knows, maybe they'll sit up and take notice this time around. If not, I'll keep sowing my green stuff in other pastures!
Well, I checked back on the Guns.Com thread. My comment was gone! PrimePorkChop and somebody named Tom Zelechowski both posted there about this issue, and their posts were left in place. Based on their response to PorkChop, maybe there will be some follow up.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #112

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Well, I checked back on the Guns.Com thread. My comment was gone! PrimePorkChop and somebody named Tom Zelechowski both posted there about this issue, and their posts were left in place. Based on their response to PorkChop, maybe there will be some follow up.
I am Tom Z, I posted about this issue as soon as I read the bull crap article on BPS.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I am Tom Z, I posted about this issue as soon as I read the bull crap article on BPS.
Good to meet you. I know it's a long thread, but if you have the time, it's worth reading the whole thing. There's quite a bit to this story!

There was also a previous thread on this subject started by Atari101 (the person who was refused service in Gurnee in the first place.) We've tried contacting Mr. Whiteley, Officer Marston (source of the ISP opinion), BPS Headquarters, various BPS stores elsewhere. The BPS folks answer e-mails and even speak on the phone, but generally provide lip service, BS and procrastination. The officer in question has never responded in any way at all.

Guess we'll just keep waiting... And while we're waiting we'll be spending our money elsewhere!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #114

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Good to meet you. I know it's a long thread, but if you have the time, it's worth reading the whole thing. There's quite a bit to this story!
Yes I am quite familiar with the whole thing I was one of the original people who began emailing BPS when the first thread started. I had quite a heated string of emails going with Whitely who was perturbed at me for suggesting BPS has some not so strong 2nd Amendment views which is an opinion I still support. I also emailed the NRA, WGO, GOA, and Illinois Concealed Carry which apparently didn't do any good. I really hope Guns.com looks into the situation.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #115

The most irritating part is that BPS has the gall to co-sponsor a TV show (Top Shot) about marksmanship. Their public face is all pro-2A, pro-hunters, etc. as you would expect from an outdoor sporting goods store. But reality doesn't line up. Boo-hiss.

Balota

Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #116

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
The most irritating part is that BPS has the gall to co-sponsor a TV show (Top Shot) about marksmanship. Their public face is all pro-2A, pro-hunters, etc. as you would expect from an outdoor sporting goods store. But reality doesn't line up. Boo-hiss.
Yes they are very dr Jekyll mr Hyde

Whitley still refuses to respond ... Guessing I'm on his blocked list. What a shame

Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #117

So, the last we heard from BPS was back in March? Mr Whiteley said BPS, Walmart, Cabela's, et.al. were going to get their lawyers together and work out what's real, or some such BS. But more recent posts indicate that Cabela's, Walmart, Joes' Bar and Bullet Emporium, and all the other reputable vendors are still selling. Just BPS is holding out. And more recent posts indicate that other customers have gotten the same (probably the real) reason for refusal: Wisconsin's CCW law changes.

Ah, well, it's only been 3-4 months. It probably takes the lawyers that long to decide which Caribbean resort they are going to meet at...

Balota

Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #118

Lest we forget, there was an earlier thread posted by Atari101, "Have My Rights Been Violated?" which has more of the background leading up to this one.

Balota

Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #119

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Just an update to everyone:

i'm doing some more digging working with the local media who is interested in doing a story on the bass pro shops in general (this guy apparently has a brother who had a similar instance happen, he's also from Wisconsin)

No promises that they run w/ the story, since it's up to their dirty liberal handlers, but I was wondering if anyone of you perhaps had some emails saved from your correspondence with whiteley? I'm particiaruly interested in getting my hands on the email from him where he detailed that they did what they did because a state police officer instructed them to

(my apologies, I can't remember who posted that they got this email, and my time is short right now or id go chec, but wanted to get this post off before I headed out)

Just trying to gather as much info as I can go my hands on.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Just an update to everyone:

i'm doing some more digging working with the local media who is interested in doing a story on the bass pro shops in general (this guy apparently has a brother who had a similar instance happen, he's also from Wisconsin)

No promises that they run w/ the story, since it's up to their dirty liberal handlers, but I was wondering if anyone of you perhaps had some emails saved from your correspondence with whiteley? I'm particiaruly interested in getting my hands on the email from him where he detailed that they did what they did because a state police officer instructed them to

(my apologies, I can't remember who posted that they got this email, and my time is short right now or id go chec, but wanted to get this post off before I headed out)

Just trying to gather as much info as I can go my hands on.
Brandon, It was Scott, the Moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Larry L. Whiteley lwhiteley@basspro.com
1:24 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Thank you for your e-mail and I thank you for standing up for our 2nd amendment rights as we have always done and will continue to do.
In regards to gun policies at our stores, our company policy is to follow the gun laws in the state in which that store is in as they vary across the country.
Below is what we have been told by the Illinois State Police –

Residents of bordering states can purchase long guns and ammo.
Inter-changeable ammo such as 9MM for long guns and hand guns is okay, if
the customer is purchasing at same time as firearm purchase. Nothing in
writing stating that, use your best judgment. Better not to sell 9MM,
7.62MM to non-residents, impossible to determine their use. Same applies
to those not from bordering states, if they purchase a non-resident hunting
license first for long guns or ammo. No hand gun ammo in Illinois for
non-residents. Be all that you can be!

----- Forwarded by Mark Marston/IlStPolice on 10/05/2011 12:28 PM -----

So, as you can see, this is the rule we are following. It is not our rule!

Larry L. Whiteley
Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Marine
Manager of Communications
lwhiteley@basspro.com
417-873-5022

Philippians 4:13

Larry L. Whiteley lwhiteley@basspro.com
1:29 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Forgot to say we have no idea where the Wisconsin right to carry fits in because that has nothing to do with this.

Larry L. Whiteley
Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Marine
Manager of Communications
lwhiteley@basspro.com
417-873-5022

Philippians 4:13

Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:25 PM
To: 'scott.alan.anderson.2@gmail.com'
Subject: forum

Scott Anderson
2:29 PM (0 minutes ago)

to Larry
Larry-

I hoped you would have responded that the policy was implemented locally by an over-zealous store manager and corporate would take measures to rectify the situation. I cannot express how disappointed I am to learn corporate endorses this policy. Your reasoning does not make sense. I live on the border in Iowa and routinely buy ammunition in Illinois. Just two weeks ago, I purchased several boxes of 9mm, and 5.56 from Cabelas in Hoffman Estates. I can find no law in the Illinois code which restricts ammunition sales to out of state residents. You appear to be implementing a policy out of ignorance, and this is not beneficial for gun owners at all.

You have provided no good reason why you have implemented this policy. I will no longer be a customer of Bass Pro Shops, and I will work to spread word to as many gun owners as possible to stay away from Bass Pro Shops until you change your ways.

-Scott Anderson

Balota

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Closed Thread